It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:35

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: URBAN TRANSIT SYSTEM
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 01:42 
Master Mentor

From the Planet Earth studios of

TOTALLY OFF THE WALL PRODUCTIONS

we present

wallyweb's URBAN TRANSIT SYSTEM
===============================

Attachment:
Urban Transit.png
Urban Transit.png [ 845.18 KiB | Viewed 27625 times ]

The "L" train around the loop in Chicago or the "El" above 3rd Avenue in New York ...
Urban Transit comes to OpenTTD and TTDPatch.

(Disclaimer - TTDPatch does not support building roads under the length of the bridge)

The first part of this project is available now, a bridge designed to be built along and above the length of surface transport such as streets, with pillars spaced to accommodate the width of the road below.

The structure of the bridge has been designed to support your choice of tram or railtype or you can use the default standard gauge included with rail. (Some Railtypes may require the presence of a train set GRF)

Monorail and Mag-Lev are not yet supported but may appear in future versions.

The bridge replaces the Golden Steel Tubular bridge (0B) and works nicely when loaded below your favourite bridge set such as TBRS.

There are no messy parameters to be set. Just build and go.

Available from 1900, your trains and trams can run at an amazing maximum speed of 80 mph (130 km/h) spanning up to 255 tiles of underlying street congestion.

Here are some examples:
(Rail stations courtesy of Michael Blunck's newstations GRF)

Attachment:
Urban Transit Examples.png
Urban Transit Examples.png [ 354.99 KiB | Viewed 27625 times ]

- Tram Menu
- Road Menu with Tram Menu overlay (Hint: Do not attach roads to the bridge)
- Default Standard Gauge Rail
- Default Standard Gauge Electrified Rail
- Rail with Metro railtype overlay
- Cirdan's New Map Features OTTD branch with custom bridgeheads

ADDED: A pipeline example here. 8-)

Log in to SimuScape to post to the discussion below (compliments, your screenshots, suggestions, bug reports, etc.)

The Download page is here. Log-in is not required :bowing: This is the primary source for the latest version. Archived versions will be available upon request.

The current version is 0.1 Beta
GrfID: 57422001 ("WB" 20 01)

The graphics are protected by copyright and the license is Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 3.0.
If one person wishes to volunteer to set up and maintain a BaNaNaS presence, they will be provided with all necessary documentation including an exclusive and limited license.

A most important and belated acknowledgement ...
This project began while OzTrans was still actve and I must give him credit for much and greatly appreciated suggestions and guidance. :bowing:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: URBAN TRANSIT SYSTEM
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 02:20 

Cool stuff. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 03:21 
Master Mentor

Due to a misunderstanding on my part I have had to change my comment re download to "login required". We appreciate your patronage and we apologize for any inconvenience.
EDIT: Logging in to download is no longer required. :bowing:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 10:00 
Simuscape Admin

Hmm, have to say Wally that this must be the best you've drawn so far quality wise... Huge improvement... I'm impressed to say the least... :W

Not to mention seeing that you've coded bridges which is interesting in more ways than one... Especially since I have some bridge ideas... :twisted:

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 10:10 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
Hmm, have to say Wally that this must be the best you've drawn so far quality wise... Huge improvement... I'm impressed to say the least... :W
:bowing:

Quote:
Not to mention seeing that you've coded bridges which is interesting in more ways than one... Especially since I have some bridge ideas... :twisted:
:o EEEK!
I need a larger calendar, one with 712 48-hour days, 104 weeks and 24 months.!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 10:13 
Simuscape Admin

:mrgreen:

Yeah, I figured you should say that... I could use a similar calender to be honest...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 20:56 
Simuscape Admin

One question Wally, I assume this bridge has bridge ID "0B", right? As in replacement for the Tubular, Steel (Golden) Bridge?

If so I'm a bit confused as it says everywhere that bridge ID's "0B" and "0C" are re-colors of bridge ID "0A", allowing for OpenTTD to have 13 bridges as supposed to TTDPatch 11 bridges... The confusion is that I can load and use this new bridge of yours in my TTDpatch game without any problems what-so-ever...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 21:35 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
The confusion is that I can load and use this new bridge of yours in my TTDpatch game without any problems what-so-ever...
I used GRFResourceManagement (GRM) to find unused resources in order to accommodate the use of an additional set of real sprites. Those resources exist in OTTD under bridge ID 0B and so it is stable. Under TTDP it would seem that GRM was able to find the resources elsewhre (I may be wrong about this and stand to be corrected). As your game progresses TTDP will consume more resources so the bridge might fail later on, or something else might break due to a conflict.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 22:09 
Simuscape Admin

Actually, I've been using another bridge which obviously uses the ID you're using for your bridge, further more intended for OpenTTD only... And I haven't had any problems with this at any time for years now, (real life years that is)... :P

On another note, the tram bridge is also the same when you chose the road bridge... Perhaps add an additional different bridge but for road only to cover all three types... :) And as far as TTDpatch concerns, it's not possible to have roads underneath bridges... it only works with road bridges where it's possible to have railroads underneath... but it still adds a new bridge to the game, and that's good... :)

I wonder what's required - if at all possible - to actually have that feature implemented also in TTDPatch... :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 23:18 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
Actually, I've been using another bridge which obviously uses the ID you're using for your bridge, further more intended for OpenTTD only... And I haven't had any problems with this at any time for years now, (real life years that is)... :P
It does not have to replace a bridge. GRM will look for resources anywhere. Can you post the code showing the ID used by the other bridge?

Quote:
On another note, the tram bridge is also the same when you chose the road bridge... Perhaps add an additional different bridge but for road only to cover all three types... :)

wallyweb wrote:
- Road Menu with Tram Menu overlay (Hint: Do not attach roads to the bridge)

Look at the png I included. You will see that the tram tracks are different.
Using the Tram Menu will add the default tram tacks that show dirt between the tracks.
If a road bridge is built from the Road Menu, the road surface is included in the bridge sprites, EXCEPT for the Urban Transit system.
The Tram Menu is then used to add tram tracks to the road surface. Because the dirt would look ugly and unclean, a "track only" overlay is used.
Because the Urban Transit bridge has no road surface, the effect is a "no dirt" tram track on the bridge.

Because Urban Transit is a rail system and trams run on rails, there will never be road surfaces included with this bridge.

Quote:
And as far as TTDpatch concerns, it's not possible to have roads underneath bridges... it only works with road bridges where it's possible to have railroads underneath... but it still adds a new bridge to the game, and that's good... :)

I wonder what's required - if at all possible - to actually have that feature implemented also in TTDPatch... :?
As far as I know, Roboboy is the only person doing any work on TTDPatch. You would have to ask him. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 23:37 
Simuscape Admin

View your inbox... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 00:24 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:

:lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 06:55 
Player
Player

Dear mr Wallyweb, you absolute gem!!!! :o
I have been away for a while, but well... This game just keeps getting more and more interesting. And I stumbled on your bridgeproject and with that you have just enabled an idea that I had for a while. I will explain further below.

First a little question (look at it as positive criticism), why are the pillars supporting the bridge placed so wide? They are at the outskirts of a tile right now. It might look a bit better if they are placed just beside the road that could run underneath it. Maybe experimenting with that will make it look a bit more realistic. They feel to far apart to me right now.

But now... The idea I had for a while...
What I needed was a bridge without any graphics except the rail(or road). Nothing else, not even pillars. Sadly my codingskills are not good enough to code that kind of a bridge. But you have just done that!!! :W The only thing I did, was deleting your pillar graphics and that enabled me to start realising my idea of fake custom bridges!! As you might know, I have been experimenting with overlapping objects for a while and now I have extrapolated that idea towards bridges. It is possible (with clever placement of objects) to make one of a kind bridges. Like this for example:
Attachment:
FakeBridge01.png
FakeBridge01.png [ 52.7 KiB | Viewed 27541 times ]

Vehicles are able to run over the bridge, but also underneath! And objects can be placed on water, so ships could also go under the bridge.
Some parts may possibly glitch a bit (that is the common problem with overlapping objects), but this idea will enable one to make special bridges that can make your cities look even more special! For example one could place reallife landmark bridges within ones cities. So, thank you very much for this bridgeset!! I have to think about how I can extrapolate and explain my idea in such a way that graphic artists and coders can work with that. I will create a thread for that. But I wanted to share this now, was too excited :oops: Thank you again for your work on this bridgeset!!! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 07:46 
Master Mentor

Hi Quast65. Good to see your return. Thanks for the compliments. :bowing: I am glad Urban Transit helped with your project. Send me the link when you start the thread.

The pillars were set wide apart to accommodate sidewalks which are a feature of urban environments. ;)

I see you also found New Map Features. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 13:36 
Artists Guild Team

Good work, Wally!

BTW, hopefully you didn´t have to code your bridges in plain nfo! Since the bridge feature is included into m4nfo since a long time.

BTW, thanks for mentioning use of NewStations. :cool:

regards
Michael

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 14:07 
Master Mentor

mb wrote:
Good work, Wally!
:bowing:

Quote:
BTW, hopefully you didn´t have to code your bridges in plain nfo! Since the bridge feature is included into m4nfo since a long time.
Since nobody seems to remember how to read plain nfo I thouht that might be an excellent way to keep the pirates away. :twisted:
Actually, now that I know how the code works, I may do the final release with m4nfo. (See? I even made the link more readable ;) )

Quote:
BTW, thanks for mentioning use of NewStations. :cool:
:W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 17:03 
Player
Player

wallyweb wrote:
The pillars were set wide apart to accommodate sidewalks which are a feature of urban environments. ;)

I understand that, but... The pedestrians can also walk on the outside of the pillars ;-) There is enough room for that:
Attachment:
WallyBridgeEdit01.png
WallyBridgeEdit01.png [ 161.12 KiB | Viewed 27514 times ]

Might be a matter of taste, but I have send you a PM with the altered graphics, so you can experiment a bit with that and see how it looks in your game. Keep up the great work!

wallyweb wrote:
I see you also found New Map Features. 8-)

Yes, wow! I miss a couple of patches/modifications that I use in my personal games. (as I understand, signals on bridges dont work yet and I cant get any other patches, that I use a lot, to work on it yet) But it is a wonderful development and I will keep a close eye on that!!

EDIT: I have made a development/discussion thread regarding my idea about Custom Bridge Objects: http://www.simuscape.net/simutalk/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=744

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 02:57 

:shock: In RL I wouldn't like to drive with those pillars near the road-too dangerous!
But they look nice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 03:05 
Player
Player

They drive pretty close to them in real life ;-)
Attachment:
r12-5767.jpg
r12-5767.jpg [ 99.8 KiB | Viewed 27503 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 08:23 
Master Mentor

athanasios wrote:
:shock: In RL I wouldn't like to drive with those pillars near the road-too dangerous!

Quast65 wrote:
They drive pretty close to them in real life
Must be why they painted the bottoms of the pillars in black and white stripes. 8-)

If anybody is looking for me, I'll be over here having a look around:
Quast65 wrote:
I have made a development/discussion thread regarding my idea about Custom Bridge Objects: viewtopic.php?f=171&t=744
:mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next