It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:03

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 16:32 
Lurker
Lurker

If someone wants to look at TT-Forums discussion about same think. I also think there should be different category for "iGRF's" than true GRF's so people can easily seperate direct downloads and links. This is nice GRF-grawler style idea and it would be nice if it wouldn't be confused with the Bananas "normal" grf's

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 02:15 
Player
Player

Katve wrote:
... I also think there should be different category for "iGRF's" than true GRF's so people can easily seperate direct downloads and links. This is nice GRF-grawler style idea and it would be nice if it wouldn't be confused with the Bananas "normal" grf's
Well, that requires an update to the Content Downloader System. Do you really, believe they would add a new category for us ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 03:53 

They should and also incorporate GRFCrawler. BaNaNas then would suffice.

Besides it is not so difficult to prevent iGRFs from getting downloaded. How many lines of code would that require, dear developers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 05:37 
Player
Player

A few snipets ...

V453000 wrote:
... the real grf would have to be +1 version ...
The 'real' GRF is always one notch up from the iGRF (i.e. in Action-14 Static GRF Information); e.g. !! BK Tunnel … has a version of 1.5.0.0, whereas BK Tunnel … the 'real' GRF has a version of 1.5.0.1.

peter1138 wrote:
... the real grf doesn't have an action 14 ...
All GRFs that have been released lately have Action-14 Static GRF Information, including versioning. The crap, that I cannot remove from the Content Download System, does not.

To clean up the mess, you should be removing for good “BK Enhanced Tunnels v1.0”. I'm the only author of that GRF, but I did not upload it !! Who broke the ToS ?

peter1138 wrote:
... if they used the same grfid, and i'd done "upgrade all" then it would've removed my choice of the working grf ...
That is the reason, why the GRFIds have been changed; i.e. to start fresh and declare all earlier versions outdated, null and void. More importantly, so this does not happen in future, the iGRF and the 'real' GRF have differing GRFIDs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 14:27 
OpenTTD Developer

OzTrans wrote:
To clean up the mess, you should be removing for good “BK Enhanced Tunnels v1.0”. I'm the only author of that GRF, but I did not upload it !! Who broke the ToS ?

It was uploaded by Ben_K as fas as I know (can't check right now), and http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32119 looks like he is as much the author as you are (at a quick glance the first post doesn't give any indication that you would be the only author). If that is somehow wrong, you could simply try contacting us directly at tt-forums, IRC or via our contact page (i.e. anywhere that doesn't require double hoops for even reading).

Michael

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 16:13 
Lurker
Lurker

OzTrans wrote:
Well, that requires an update to the Content Downloader System. Do you really, believe they would add a new category for us ?

I don't think so and I think it's the only problem of this thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 00:52 
Player
Player

michi_cc wrote:
... BK Enhanced Tunnels v1.0 ... It was uploaded by Ben_K as fas as I know ...
The problem is, that a GRF uploaded to the Content Downloader cannot be inherited, if someone else takes over, or even if there are many authors. In my opinion, a GRF can only have a single author (that can change from one release to the next), too many cooks spoil the broth.

GRFCrawler allows to define an old GRF as outdated, this is not the case with OpenTTD's Download System.

As far as compatibility is concerned, 'BK Tunnel' has no such problems, it is many times over backwards and forward compatible. But, it confuses players now. On the one hand we have the most recent version of v1.5 and an old one v1.0.

Anyway, I'll be in touch early next week ...

Katve wrote:
OzTrans wrote:
I don't think so and I think it's the only problem of this thing.
I'll make an exceptional suggestion ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 02:43 
Player
Player

An update ...

The Information System Service for OpenTTD Players has been abandoned, due to Rubidium making our system invisible to players ... Never mind !!

On a side note ... when evaluating the Content Downloader System, I found that it was better than its reputation and I actually considered to upload finished and complete graphics files for players' enjoyment. This was to happen after the 'testing' of informational graphics files for work under development. Due to recent thrashings of my idea over at tt-forum, that is now never ever going to happen. My apologies to anybody, that has welcomed this system. Unfortunatelly, it will not happen, but we will find other solutions ...

michi_cc wrote:
OzTrans wrote:
Anyway, I'll be in touch early next week ...
No longer necessary and required.

Quote:
Katve wrote:
OzTrans wrote:
Well, that requires an update to the Content Downloader System. ...
I'll make an exceptional suggestion ...
No longer an option ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 09:51 
Simuscape Admin

It's a shame that an handful group of people have the "silent" authority of TT-forums to continue to trash and create "Tycoon wars" over and over again, without having a clue what they're in fact trashing about. Even worse is that some OTTD-devs are close behind campaigning for these "wars" to arise with the unavoidable result of this entire TTDLX-community maintaining its bad reputation, thus potentially keeping lots of people from even wanting to be part and participate by their own contributions...

Attempts have been made to find solutions for us all to get along and focus on a game we enjoy to play and develop further. But it is my inevitable understanding that as long as the administrative team of TT-forums in silence continues to back up and nurture hatred and oppression as an accepted agenda to pollute this Transport Tycoon community at large, we're to accept that we are never going to find a solution that will unite us all!

I'm not worried for the sake of Simuscape. On the contrary, Simuscape is in fact itself a result of not accepting the established agenda over at TT-forums, and I'm quite pleased that we can offer TTDLX-fans a peaceful and friendly environment where members can enjoy the game and all its features, rather than having to involve themselves in "wars" or other devastating behaviors.

I am however worried - and have been for a long time - that the agenda of TT-forums is ruining a community and its devoted members, and even worse - newcomers with a potential to lift the game even higher! The iGRF-affair was the latest to enforce TT-forums to once again declare a "Tycoon war" nurturing it to the best of their abilities, very much a huge mistake as the iGRF had a different intention than what that handful group over there were ready to comprehend. The intention to - once testing was done - allow for Simuscape-based files to be uploaded to the BaNaNaS benefitting OTTD-users once and for all, something that was thoroughly discussed within our HQ's as we indeed found that the BaNaNaS/ingame content downloader system was better than its reputation - and the opinion at least I carried as a result of earlier experiences...

This is not going to happen now I'm afraid - and for good reasons. Still, those interested will continue to visit Simuscape and download desired files, that's for sure. And they are more than welcome! At any time and at any rate!

But the embarrassment of being a member of a community that spend most of its valuable time to spread hatred and oppression mercilessly in an never ending manner, is likely to never find its way out through the exit doors...

My sincerest apologies to all members who in fact is part of the TTDLX-community at large for the sake of enjoying a game, and nothing else! :W

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 09:53 
Simuscape Officials

As no further discussions may lead anywhere regarding the iGRF-affair, this thread is now locked!

Offline Profile  

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2