It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 05:14 
Lurker
Lurker

Hello, I thought I'd post why I'm here... recently several friends mentioned on another forum that we still didn't have an OpenTTD thread so I made one and also made some savegames that, when loaded, would prompt them to download all the best GRFs I could find (so new players could get all the new features right away without any fuss or fiddling around).

As I was doing this I noticed that the Canadian set I'd enjoyed in the past was gone, and like so many others, ended up here looking for it.

While I wait for version 2.0 of the Canadian stuff OzTrans is building, I am building myself my own personal 'ultimate' version of OpenTTD which stuff like:
-Opendist to get passengers to have specific destinations a la Simutrans
-starting in the 19th century
-lots of new graphics and stuff to make the maps more alive with traffic and big industrial station

However, the holy grail seems to be a good daylength patch. Something that irritated me in my last game is that while I was slowly building a profitable business, the years flew by and I was 25 years in without enough progress. I've searched around and the OpenTTD devs would love to do it but can't spare the time.

Oh well. Hello!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 08:45 
Simuscape Admin

Well, personally I have yet to even start playing OTTD but that'll have to wait until some very needed TTDP-features are adapted by OTTD... :P

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 18:00 
Lurker
Lurker

It's been a very long time since I played TTDP (Mac user), what features do you mean?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 18:58 
Simuscape Admin

Custom Bridge Heads would be the most apparent. That really gives another dimension to the game.

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 09:47 
Simuscape Admin

Most certainly... I think it's something more besides CBH though, but I can't remember now...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 12:08 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
Most certainly... I think it's something more besides CBH though, but I can't remember now...
I can ... Enhanced tunnels. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 13:46 
Simuscape Admin

Yeah, that's it... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 02:17 

I would like something more for both:

Height levels for sea (and I fail to see why the more height patch fails to deal that issue) (like Locomotion),
Curved rails (like Locomotion),
smooth slopes for rails (again like Locomotion).

You see there are a plethora of patches around dealing about everything you can imagine and the most basic ones are missing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 05:32 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:
You see there are a plethora of patches around dealing about everything you can imagine and the most basic ones are missing.

The problem is that "most basic" is not necessarily "easiest"; people tend to first make patches that are less difficult, and tackle the really hard stuff later. Your examples definitely fall into the "rather hard" category... :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 11:54 
Artists Guild Team

athanasios wrote:
I would like something more for both:

Height levels for sea (and I fail to see why the more height patch fails to deal that issue) (like Locomotion),
Curved rails (like Locomotion),
smooth slopes for rails (again like Locomotion).

The only way those are "basic" is in the "fundamental change" sense, really. "Sea height levels" is the least complete-rewrite-like, but there's not much of a point to them, or at least I don't see it. So, don't get your hopes up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 18:55 
Lurker
Lurker

Curved rails would require redoing the graphics to show the train turning smoothly around them, for one thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 21:25 
Lurker
Lurker

metalangel wrote:
Curved rails would require redoing the graphics to show the train turning smoothly around them, for one thing.

CETS already does that (as well as a couple sprites for the new BROS, IIRC).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 04:10 

Quote:
"Sea height levels" is the least complete-rewrite-like, but there's not much of a point to them, or at least I don't see it.

Differing bridges costs would be a big point. It would be a challenge to cross deep oceans/valleys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 11:08 
Browser
Browser

What would be the point of variable sea height levels? All ships float on the same level, and there is nothing below sea level except for the "Chunnel" patch, which only needs to simulate going one level below sea.

Curved rails doesn't only require redoing the graphics, but creating LOTS of new graphics.

The most fundamental issue to advanced development of OpenTTD is that it is based on Chris Sawyer's implementation of the map array, which is very cramped and pretty much maxed out at this point. Somebody will need to eventually step up and re-write a large chunk of the game if it is to advance to something larger or more complex in scale and detail.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 14:24 
Master Mentor

kamnet wrote:
What would be the point of variable sea height levels?
Tidal surge disasters. :twisted:

I agree with all that you said. TTD and OTTD share a class. OTTD does have a few feature requests remaining to be pushed into trunk.

Anything else would probably be best implemented by following CS' example of evolving into Locomotion (32bpp anyone?) which would seem to suggest that OTTD would then deserve a new name (OpenLoco anyone?) ... 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 03:48 
Lurker
Lurker

Something I'd have loved to have seen in Locomotion (or OTTD) was/is to view each layer of the world individually (a bit like you can in XCOM: Apocalypse).

You could build anything you wanted underground, sure, but a complex line or indeed being able to edit it later was impossible as clicking to select a section of track would destroy buildings in the foreground first.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]