It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:12

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 00:28 
Lurker
Lurker

i need a scenario that has the coast of BC and a few points east
and south thru washington and a little bit of oregon and points east not to far east that my poor pc would choke on it

i know there is a pnw scenario but it doesn't have the canset that ozzy made with the can buildings and rails just the total town replacement and ecs wood vector

i would like to have the canada buildings, rail , station and usa rail and road set , station set to build up a realistic railway and the airplane set with real life liverys and realistic airports :help:

Last edited by sorceress95 on 14 Jul 2012, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 00:54 

Why don't you adapt it to your needs? Being a citizen of Europe I suppose I cannot be of any help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 01:04 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:
Why don't you adapt it to your needs? Being a citizen of Europe I suppose I cannot be of any help.

If I understand him correctly his problem is adding/changing newgrfs of an existing scenario which isn't possible if you don't know the required switches in the config file.

@sorceress95: Is my assumption right or did I misunderstood?

Cheers,
Sleepie

Edit: fixed typo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 02:17 
Lurker
Lurker

your correct sleepie in that i cannot add new grfs to the scenario now that i have the newer version of openttd

and i will forgive your one transgression in thinking i am a he ie not adding you to my cauldron :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 09:46 
Simuscape Admin

Technically it is possible but there is a risk you will break the game and will have to start over.

Best is to make a copy of the savefile before you try this to be sure.

WARNING!! IF YOU TRY THIS YOU MAY BREAK YOUR GAME. DON'T BLAME ME OR ANYONE ELSE IF IT DOES!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Bring up the console (on Swedish keyboard press §, or whatever button you might have left of '1').
Type
Code:
set scenario_developer 1
Hit Enter

There you go, now you are able to change GRFs within a game or a scenario.

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 14:29 
Lurker
Lurker

sorceress95 wrote:
your correct sleepie in that i cannot add new grfs to the scenario now that i have the newer version of openttd

SlemFreak already described how you can change newgrfs. Its also possible to enable this "feature" permanently by enable this setting in your OpenTTD configuration file (config.cfg). Where this file resides on your pc depends on OS and how you installed OpenTTD. Just have a look in the readme file that shipped with OpenTTD how the game handles the location of all kind of config and other game data files.
If you have found it, just open it with a normal text editor and search for scenario_developer. Please close the game before making any changes to the config file, otherwise the game will override you changes when you close it. It might be a good idea to make a backup of the config in case something went wrong.

Then edit this line so it looks like:

Code:
scenario_developer = true

Save it, done ;) Now you have this feature all the time. But as SlemFreak already pointed out. Use this with care, always make backups and don't blame anyone if it goes wrong.

So for your described case above it sounds like you only want to add certains things to play a canadian style game. I would suggest to add your wanted newgrfs using the scenario editor and not after starting the game. As you also want to use NARoads you should remove other road newgrfs from the scenario before. Giving more advice is hard to do without further details of what is currently used in the scenario.

In general in most cases its more dangerous to remove newgrfs than adding them. Removing newgrfs which only changing graphics, like trees for instance is also not a problem in 99% of all cases.

Chaning vehicle newgrfs in a scenario should be no problem normally, because you have no vehicles yet.

I also strongly recommend to have a look at the readmes and documentation of the newgrfs you use to get informations about incompatibilities and parameter settings of certain newgrfs.

With all this in mind changing newgrfs should work in almost all cases without any issue. Personally I have done this often in the path with my own scenarios and sometimes also in running games without any error.

So good luck and happy gaming.

sorceress95 wrote:
and i will forgive your one transgression in thinking i am a he ie not adding you to my cauldron :P

I should have known better with your username :oops: I'm sorry and very kind of you for not boiling me in your cauldron ;)

Cheers,
Sleepie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 16:44 
Lurker
Lurker

thanks guys but i would like to not mess around with the config file nor any programing

i just want a simple scenario like the one in the online content scenario that is lacking in vehicles and trains
the new can rail has canadian industries i think

these are the new grfs i want on the new scenario i have set perimeters for it
as the old pnw scenario only had Total town replacement and ECS wood vector and just the openTTD rail and road
vehicles

i would post the scenario but i don't wanna get whoever made it to get mad at me for me posting

i used alberta names as i could not find pnw names

Attachments:
New grfs for possible scenario.sav [83.25 KiB]
Downloaded 521 times
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 17:53 
Player
Player

sorceress95 wrote:
thanks guys but i would like to not mess around with the config file nor any programing.
That is fair enough, but if you want to use other GRFs than the ones used for that particular scenario then you need to make some changes.

Now, what does OpenTTD say, when you start a game with that particular scenario ?

Quote:
... the new can rail has canadian industries ...
There are a few extra industries, but they are only acessible in a NEW game and in a scenario that has been created with CanRail (including these industries enabled) activated.

Quote:
... the old pnw scenario only had Total town replacement and ECS wood vector ..
You can replace TTRS with CanCity, but you cannot just remove ECS vectors. A scenario that has been created with a particular industry set, must be played with those industries, unless you go and modify the scenario in the scenario editor (change OpenTTD.cfg first to allow you to do that).

Quote:
... i used alberta names as i could not find pnw names
If a town names set has been used in a scenario, then you must have that town name GRF activated when playing the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 18:37 
Lurker
Lurker

ozzy you hit my problem right on the head of the nail

the problem being that the scenario isn't what i want but i don't know how to create a height map or other stuff without getting into programing aspects of it as i may know a few things with linux but this is out of my comfort zone of programing

and why i have been waiting a long time for your canset to be re released ;) so i could play a realistic game set in a pnw scenario where i currently reside i hit a roadblock in trying to add grfs to the pnw scenario that is currently on the online content in opentdd

i thought maybe you guys could create one for me that others could enjoy as well

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 19:24 
Player
Player

sorceress95 wrote:
... i don't know how to create a height map ...
There are a few heightmaps on the content downloader, may be there is one that suits you. You can start a game with a heightmap together with all the GRFs you want.

Quote:
... so i could play a realistic game set in a pnw scenario ...
What is 'pnw' ?

Quote:
... i hit a roadblock in trying to add grfs to the pnw scenario that is currently on the online content in opentd ...
On the content downloader, I cannot see any 'pnw' scenario, but there are about 3 to 4 US maps.

Quote:
... I thought maybe you guys could create one for me that others could enjoy as well
Creating a scenario takes a lot of time. We do have one though, it is called 'Rocky Mountain Challenge' created many years ago by wallyweb for TTDPatch. It covers Western Canada from the shores of the Pacific (Vancouver) across to the plains of Winnipeg.

I have been trying to update it and port it to OpenTTD, so far it has been impossible. It plays in temperate clima with plenty of snow, but OpenTTD has no snow in a temperate game. Converting it to arctic crashes OpenTTD. This scenario uses all the Canadian graphics file that have been re-released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 19:37 
Lurker
Lurker

the scenario is called Pacific NW:Canada/USA (v.1)

pnw = pacific northwest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 20:40 
Player
Player

sorceress95 wrote:
the scenario is called Pacific NW:Canada/USA (v.1)...
Found it. It only has 2 GRFs. TTRS and ECS Wood. It plays in sub-arctic climate. Replacing TTRS with CanCity is easy. Removing ECS Wood would leave you without any forest and related industries as forests can only be built above the snowline.

I managed to update the scenario (I'll PM it shortly).

You will not be able to use town names (the scenario was created with English original ones).
You'll need the ECS Wood vector.
The towns will update gradually to CanCity buildings.
Most sets that you listed above, I added to the scenario.

That should cover it ..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 21:08 
Lurker
Lurker

thank you ozzy and i thought your new can rails had industries included :bowing:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 21:16 
Player
Player

sorceress95 wrote:
thank you ozzy and i thought your new can rails had industries included :bowing:
Yes, there are a few additional ones, but they can only be used in a NEW game (not playing a scenario, unless the scenario was created with CanRail present).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 21:18 
Lurker
Lurker

ahh i see :oops:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 21:57 
Master Mentor

Ooops! OzTrans beat me to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 22:03 
Lurker
Lurker

i a gaMe

and wally the grfs i want are in the save file soMewhere in this post

and wally your ctrl - alt - del with seldgehaMMer is not working on My keyboard :lol:

the M key is still wonky will work soetiMes other tiMes u have to paste the M :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 22:23 
Master Mentor

sorceress95 wrote:
i a gaMe

and wally the grfs i want are in the save file soMewhere in this post
Too late. As noted above, OzTrans beat me to it. ;)

Quote:
and wally your ctrl - alt - del with seldgehaMMer is not working on My keyboard :lol:
I was worried about that. You will have to open your real_life.cfg file and set super_human_strength=true. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 22:31 
Lurker
Lurker

no what i should have done was not listen to a friend who has scrooge like behavior
and the $400 the friend cost Me could have gone into a new keyboard and pc :lol:

now i have to put it into the car to fix a body shops screw ups i bet you can guess which one :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012, 22:40 
Master Mentor

sorceress95 wrote:
now i have to put it into the car to fix a body shops screw ups i bet you can guess which one :lol:
They put the fender on backwards? :o

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next