It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:17

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: INFRA by SAC - Motorways
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 22:34 
Simuscape Admin

I have my own little motorway project - although not as advanced and comprehensive as the Dutch Road Furniture Project, but still.

In my case it's about adding those little extra details such as gantries, alternative streetlights, decor such as bushes and trees - and I may have a few surprises up me sleeves... ;) Here's an example - feedback is appreciated!

Attachment:
INFRA003.png
INFRA003.png [ 243.42 KiB | Viewed 40397 times ]

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 02:41 

Maybe not advanced but in style. ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 08:58 
Browser
Browser

I love how it so naturally fits in, you don't even see it until you start looking for it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 09:10 
Simuscape Admin

That's the idea, not to let it stick out... :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 19:07 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
That's the idea, not to let it stick out... :twisted:
You mean like that brown building in the lower left corner? ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 19:40 
Simuscape Admin

wallyweb wrote:
You mean like that brown building in the lower left corner? ;)

You know, I always notice that when playing the map, and I have to check it everytime... :mrgreen: But it is in fact not sitting on the highway, it's an optic illusion - or whetever it's called... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 10:55 
Browser
Browser

SAC wrote:
I have my own little motorway project - although not as advanced and comprehensive as the Dutch Road Furniture Project, but still.

In my case it's about adding those little extra details such as gantries, alternative streetlights, decor such as bushes and trees - and I may have a few surprises up me sleeves... ;) Here's an example - feedback is appreciated!

being the dutchy that i am, i prefer the dutch road furniture, however this one looks pretty decent as well, im assuming its a small thruss frame with signs and a bushed mid-way.

personally i think that the bushes in the middle should be darker, specially since your other trees are a more dark-green color. usually road-side bushes (specially in middle of the lanes) are a more dense dark-green bushes that require less maintenance (trimmed hedges etc) then the more light-green counterparts. also its always some sort of hedge as they can be trimmed instead of difficult cutting and shaping.

as for the centerplaced lighting: some countries prefer them in the middle, some on the edges, even though there is not a real standard there, i suggest to pick either and stick to a system. in general i think you can put 2 on the roadside instead of the 3 you currently have. scalewise that makes more sense.

considering the thruss frame, again i suggest a more dark grey color steel, 1-2 tones darker makes it look better id recon, but that also depends on the color of your roads.
considering the size of the frame: from an engineering point of view: there is alot of wind-force on the roadsigns, that will translate to the thruss structure, i think the supports are a bit thin, but thats just nit-picking here

mainly the tints can be fit a bit better to match infra, coloring the bushes a more dark green like this forum font

and the thruss frame can be attempted in a more grey tint like the forum reply background i recon

img of the trees in middle

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 12:41 
Simuscape Admin

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:
being the dutchy that i am, i prefer the dutch road furniture, however this one looks pretty decent as well, im assuming its a small thruss frame with signs and a bushed mid-way.

Well, this is after all based on a Swedish type of way, and even here there are plenty of differences between road furnitures. :P

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:
personally i think that the bushes in the middle should be darker, specially since your other trees are a more dark-green color. usually road-side bushes (specially in middle of the lanes) are a more dense dark-green bushes that require less maintenance (trimmed hedges etc) then the more light-green counterparts. also its always some sort of hedge as they can be trimmed instead of difficult cutting and shaping.

The bushes I used for this test is merely to show how it can look, and not necessarily how it will turn out in the end. But I think both darker and lighter bushes can be used, as well as darker and lighter trees for that matter.

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:
as for the centerplaced lighting: some countries prefer them in the middle, some on the edges, even though there is not a real standard there, i suggest to pick either and stick to a system. in general i think you can put 2 on the roadside instead of the 3 you currently have. scalewise that makes more sense.

Can't speak for Holland, but here in Sweden they're using both. I'm not going to use both the centerplaced lights with lights on the road sides at the same time, but to reflect reality I think that it should be a choice to mix and match both types... :)

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:
considering the thruss frame, again i suggest a more dark grey color steel, 1-2 tones darker makes it look better id recon, but that also depends on the color of your roads.
considering the size of the frame: from an engineering point of view: there is alot of wind-force on the roadsigns, that will translate to the thruss structure, i think the supports are a bit thin, but thats just nit-picking here

Actually, again a common type in Sweden - both colorwise and sizewise... :twisted: Besides, making them darker will not go well with the road color at all. And I do have in mind some alternative thruss structures... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 18:31 
Lurker
Lurker

Very nice ! Like the traffic signs :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 21:59 
Simuscape Admin

Thank you! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 12:27 
Browser
Browser

you can check the dutch road furniture out, they have a center-border that changes in era (early its a hedge/green, later on it turns into a center-barrier

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 12:32 
Simuscape Admin

I've seen it, and it's a good choice. However, I will allow for each user to chose according to their own preferences instead. It gives mor freedom I think... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 00:04 
Browser
Browser

once you release your sets will you be considering making regional sets like e.g. UK motorways, US highways ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 00:21 
Simuscape Admin

Really don't think so as those regional ones are provided for already! Or don't you like them? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 01:30 
Browser
Browser

well the other grfs ive used dont seem to have the same quality as yours thats all im sure a UK version of your motorway would be 10x better then the latest version out there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 01:38 
Artists Guild

boohey, have you tried Dutch Road Furniture in conjunction with my UK Roads /w Signs and UK Road Furniture addon. You'll find theres a bunch of nice road graphics there drawn by me and coded by Foobar to suppliment his Dutch set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 01:55 
Browser
Browser

Quote:
UK Roads /w Signs and UK Road Furniture addon

dont think ive ever heard of it haha is it on the Bananas thing on TTDO ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 03:46 
Artists Guild

Ill get you a link:

UK Roads /w Signs (Also available on Bananas): http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=56243
Dutch Road Furniture (Will automatically change to UK Road Furniture when loaded with UK Roads /w Signs): http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchroa ... es/LATEST/
Dutch Road Furniture UK Sign Addon: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/attachments/ ... -1.0.0.zip

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 04:32 
Lurker
Lurker

this is so amagin, really look naturally. i like this kind of grf, i searching for them from long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 10:15 
Simuscape Admin

I'm running a game that uses loads of eye candy everywhere with the purpose to add that extra touch of realism, and it seems that I've been using up to the limit now - unfortunately... :(

So, how to solve that? Well, I'm using lots of street lights, that's for sure, and two lane streets/highways requires two eye candy objects, one per side... and with that in mind I figured I needed to come up with some solutions, and the best one is to simply place the streetlight in the middle - something which I've done before, but not too heavily though...

My previous ones wasn't all that good either with glitches, but I've reworked them and also added some new ones for my streets/highways;

Attachment:
Image700.png
Image700.png [ 393.98 KiB | Viewed 39098 times ]

With this I'm able to reduce the usage with 50% where possible, and on another positive sidenote I'm also saving up space since I won't have to place anything on the opposite side of the street/highway... And for the gantry it's now placed on two 1x2 tiles requiring only two slots instead of four - and without any glitches... :)

And using this type of approach these objects can be made useful in more ways than one;

Attachment:
Image701.png
Image701.png [ 491.19 KiB | Viewed 39096 times ]

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]