It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: GarryG Does Stations
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 17:00 
Player
Player

Those signs and signals look nice!!

Quote:
The platforms are part of suburban platforms I been making. Thinking seriously to make the fences and lights as non-track tiles then I can get ride of some of the platforms as they same as City Bitumen.

Are those platforms with fences already in a set that is on Bananas?
If so, removing them may break up savegames... If not, go for it! ;-)

Adding fences/lights as extra non-track tiles is not a bad thing to do. Gives people more options (as those can be placed to the other platformtypes)

Quote:
The bottom train is Xplorer train set given to me by Coalroads_artist. He asked me not to change anything with what he gave me, but the colours are all wrong .. you think he will mind if I fix the colours?

I cannot answer that question.... That decision is up to you....
Have you sent him PMs since the last time you had contact? And did he read those?
If there is no contact at all, then the safest way to go is by drawing that train yourself, inspired by his work... (and credit him as such)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 01:01 
Expert
Expert

Those platform fences not released on Bananas so will change them.

In Part 2 I have room for 40 more items so hope buy making the fences non-track tiles I can then put them in Part 2 Version 2.

February 7, 2016 I PM Coalroad_artist and not been read, so I will fix the graphics and credit it like you said.

Cheers pal

EDIT:

Just an idea:

I like my games especially when railways are concerned be realistic looking if possible. Some of the signs and infrastructure the railways used is it possible to make them more like a object and be placed either side of the railway lines. Make them so trains don't recognise them as a platform or a waypoint? This will save making tiles with overlaps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 15:53 
Player
Player

Quote:
I like my games especially when railways are concerned be realistic looking if possible. Some of the signs and infrastructure the railways used is it possible to make them more like a object and be placed either side of the railway lines. Make them so trains don't recognise them as a platform or a waypoint? This will save making tiles with overlaps.

There are two things I could think of....

1. Designing a trackset that has tracks without signs and tracks with signs (that has the same look and speedlimits as the "without" set).
You can then place the tracks-with-signs at places where you want them.
The thing you have to be careful of is that there is no front-of-track and back-of-track graphics, its just a flat tile. So signs should not be placed/drawn in such a way that they reach over the tracks, as a train will cover them up when going over that tile.

2. Replacing the regular signals (so either the un-electrified or electrified ones, depending on the ones you use the least) with those signs or signals.

Regarding option-1, with that I cannot help, I have never done a trackset....
Other disadvantage is that players cannot use their trackset of choice anymore, they have to use yours.
However I think this is the closest to what you want. So going for an Auz-trackset ;-)

Regarding option-2, with that I could help, as it is a simple replacement of base-graphics.
Advantage is that it is usable for all tracksets.
Disadvantage is that they will behave like regular signals... So you have to be careful what signals you replace as they will have an effect on other signals...
And you may need to make two sets, one that replaces the unelectrified signals and a set that replaces the electrified signals.
For example, in modern games players are likely to use only the electrified signals and thus unelectrified can be used as "eyecandy", and the other way around for players that like to play games set in the past.

So, again, regarding both, the Auz-trackset should be the way to go, I think....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 01:37 
Expert
Expert

Thanks pal for those suggestions.

Was asked some time ago if I do a railset as some players like my rust rails I used in the Fake Rails.

I have the coding for NuTracks, Wired, and Useless Tracks to retrieve some ideas from. Like to one day try using NuTracks as they have a good variety of track types.

With the sign idea I'll ponder on this awhile see what I think better way to go. If I make them maybe objects be better and can have construction cost at a minimum or free.

The platforms I did with white fences I removed all of them except the one with the short awning and made non-track tiles with the fences and lights.
Attachment:
Suburban Platforms with new fences.png
Suburban Platforms with new fences.png [ 55.5 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]

I need to make another set of the fences without the lamps and as can see by the end platforms need a set with the new fence idea.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 10:38 
Expert
Expert

Hello friend, how things in your neck of the words.

Been asked in other forum if I can do some non-track tiles similar to the Dutch ones .. but I been looking at several on Google Earth and all we seem to have in my country is different types of entrances, car parking areas and bus stops. Some of the larger country stations do have some landscaping such as trees and lawns, but not much else.

Your fault I ask the next question as it originally your idea :mrgreen:

How you doing with combining non-track tiles and platforms? As it giving me ideas and now I have a idea :W I doubt I need to make huge stations like you and Silverx50 doing, but ..

How complicated would it be to code for a non-track tile with a single sided platform? Could be 2x1 .. consist of a non track and a platform and 2x2's .. two non-track tile and two platforms?

Some of the station buildings I like to make that have their own awning combining the non-track and platform together might make these easier to do .. I hope.

If the code is possible no hurry to send to me as be a few weeks before I need them.

Want to do some train rides first and visit as many stations in the Newcastle Suburban area as possible and get photos of platforms, the entrances, car parking areas and bus stops and terminals.

I'll pinch some buses from Polroads and place in the bus stops :)

Cheers pal
Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 01:14 
Player
Player

Hey buddy!

Quote:
How complicated would it be to code for a non-track tile with a single sided platform? Could be 2x1 .. consist of a non track and a platform and 2x2's .. two non-track tile and two platforms?

Shouldnt be too complicated, I think I got the hang of it... Will make some templates for you.
Quote:
If the code is possible no hurry to send to me as be a few weeks before I need them.

Good, as I am pretty busy with reallife work at the moment. ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 01:39 
Expert
Expert

Thanks my friend,

It be good if those codes are done. It ok if be a month before codes available as I got a lot to catch up on with other projects.

That allows me to plan around the ideas I have for them.

This for instance. The footbridge at this station is not on the platform but to the side where a non-track tile would be used. To make this I think non-track tile and a platform tile be needed :?:

Cheers pal

Attachments:
Awaba_20170822_112027.png
Awaba_20170822_112027.png [ 225.83 KiB | Viewed 7623 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 04:51 
Player
Player

I think you can already create those kind of things by making non-track tiles with the stairs and then single-sided platforms with just the walkover... (so like the waypoint version, but then with an usable platform under it)

I dont think you should use the combination of tracked and non-tracked tiles for small things that could also be created by cleverly using modular pieces (like for example the stations you have made where the awning over the platform connects to the non-track building next to it, to make it complete).

I believe it should be used for more larger structures that would be too difficult to create from modular pieces by a player that doesnt know what the structure looks like in reallife.
Like these:
Attachment:
Example348.png
Example348.png [ 36.99 KiB | Viewed 7622 times ]

Rotterdam Central Station, where the pointy roof of the non-track entrance part extends over the tracked part.
Attachment:
Example349.png
Example349.png [ 114.11 KiB | Viewed 7622 times ]

Roosendaal Locomotive Repair Depot, where there are office buildings between the main repair facility and the depot with the low roof.

So, for the combination of tracked & non-tracked, think big! :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 05:47 
Expert
Expert

I'll have a go at those ideas and see how they look.

Working on footbridges today with different combinations with stairs going different directions.

I could do some big stations set ups .. when you coded for different sizes let me know what those sizes are and se if can make something to those sizes.

Sydney has a few stations that have shops over the top of them. The old locomotive depot, carriage sheds and work shops in Sydney be great to do too.

Those ideas of yours with big stations .. could be used for fake underground stations too :W

Thanks pal for the ideas :P

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 15:07 
Expert
Expert

Playing around with Awaba Station.

Made a few changes since the image on other forum.
Attachment:
Awaba2.png
Awaba2.png [ 26.4 KiB | Viewed 7618 times ]

Included the awning with the 2x1 non-track tile. Only done the front view so far.

I think with my small stations small car parks are in order. Other players Station sets have large car parks if players want.

What you think if I remove the your green mowed grass from these new fences and have natural landscape?

Noticed when I did these the far end fences have a blue dot .. since been fixed.

Cheers pal

PS .. The Sheds you showing above .. giving me some big ideas .. love to start on them now, but need to catch up on other things first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 03:32 
Expert
Expert

Hello my friend,

Last Tuesday, Wednesday and yesterday I been train riding and visiting suburban stations in the area. Reason I went several times is we lost internet here for a few days.

I think I have to stop visiting railway stations as they given me more ideas. :mrgreen: These new ideas take me away from completing other ideas :roll:

Soon I be asking help how to do the transparency for some station buildings.
This is a building at Dora Creek Railway Station. As can see the walls almost see through .. hope to try do similar.

Save clattering up this forum I will put more pics in other forum.

Cheers pal

Attachments:
Dora Creek_11.png
Dora Creek_11.png [ 251.15 KiB | Viewed 7615 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 14:12 
Player
Player

Hey buddy!

I really like looking at the pictures you take of your journeys over at the other forum and how you "translate" those into OpenTTD!! I hope you have fun doing that!!

Quote:
Soon I be asking help how to do the transparency for some station buildings.

Actually, that is very easy (although I just found out about that rather recently.... :oops: )
The "magic" happens in the 32bpp graphics file:
- First, draw the station as if it didnt have glass. So if there is anything inside you want to show, draw that in (like benches inside the waitingrooms).
- Secondly, draw the glass in as a separate layer This can have any color and/or texture as you would like (for example some glass is more blue-ish, others are more white-ish or whatever ;-) )
- Thirdly, and this depends a bit on the graphics-programme you use, but make that layer see-thru by adjusting its transparency settings. I usually have it set somewhere roughly between 10% and 30% visible, but with this you may need to fiddle around a bit, to see what looks best ingame.
- Finally, merge the layers and code it.
The transparency information is kept, so for example any vehicles that pass behind the glass will be visible thru it.

Play around with it a bit, for example make something really simple, like a glass wall held up by some pillars and see what color glass (and/or texture) works for you and what percentage of visibility it should get. But its a really nice effect!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 14:31 
Expert
Expert

Hi friend,

It is fun taking the photos of things and try make them as close as possible in the game .. trouble is I taking all these photos and getting more ideas and can't keep up with myself :mrgreen:

I suppose to be doing country stations, but visiting the suburban stations and getting these photos distract me from my original plans.

Kinda wish never released Parts 1 and 2 now and change lots of things.

Have them made in sets for each of the lines here in my State.

City Bitumen Stations be a single set with all the platforms and stations together.

City Tiles set be all the larger city stations and platforms.

And the 3 country sets be in separate lots and have the different country lines as separate sets such as Northern, Southern and Western Lines.

The Catenary Platforms I been playing around with would be in the City and Suburban sets. We don't have catenary in the country.
What ya think .. should I change them :? :?: :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 14:59 
Expert
Expert

Just had a go at transparency with one of those waiting sheds.

Attachments:
Transperrancy.png
Transperrancy.png [ 3.95 KiB | Viewed 7611 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:07 
Player
Player

Quote:
Kinda wish never released Parts 1 and 2 now and change lots of things.

The only thing you can do with the sets released on Bananas is to update them, but only with a new description (where you explain that these sets will be obsolete and that new stuff has to be found in newly to released GRFs) and if possible also change the name that you will see in the GRF-menu (for example "Auz-stations part 1 OBSOLETE").
That way old save games wont be broken and then just hope that these GRFs wont be used anymore in new games, so just let them gather dust on Bananas ;-)
Your new GRFs should then get a new GRF-id offcourse. Dont use the id's anymore of the obsolete sets.
Quote:
Just had a go at transparency with one of those waiting sheds.

Nice, maybe just make it a bit more transparent, so that the interior is a tiny bit more visible, but that may be my personal taste ;-)
But I think you got the hang of it! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:17 
Expert
Expert

You could be right about more transparent. The setting I used was with a light grey colour set at 40%. Maybe 50% be better .. shall experiment and see what happens.

All those waiting sheds have a light greyish or whitish colour see through walls, so using the grey I think make them look similar.

Shall see what happens.

Thanks again for the tips.

Cheers :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:32 
Expert
Expert

This is 60% using the light grey.

Be interesting to make trains at 32 bit and have see through windows on the carriages. Just have to make sure those having fun in the sleeper carriages have their blinds down :lol:

Attachments:
Transparancy60percent.png
Transparancy60percent.png [ 4.3 KiB | Viewed 7611 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:51 
Player
Player

Quote:
This is 60% using the light grey.

Yeah, that works!
Its a really nice effect, like I said you can also incorporate textures (so not using an uniform color), very handy for example if you have large glass surfaces (we have a couple of modern styled stations over here that have loads of glass surfaces) and want to have a solar-glare effect on them. It makes glass a lot more interesting.
Quote:
Just have to make sure those having fun in the sleeper carriages have their blinds down

:mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:57 
Expert
Expert

This might work good on the fences of footbridges and platform fences to make them more see throughish. :)

Will try that tomorrow as almost midnight here and boy do I need my beauty sleep :mrgreen:

Good night :yawn:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 15:58 
Player
Player

sleep tight buddy!

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next