It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:25

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: GarryG Does Stations
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 15:35 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
However I would suggest changing the color of the walls as they look too similar to the colors of the ballast.

Maybe a brownish look .. they were made from old railway lines as post and timber sides usually sleepers or bridging timber.

Quote:
I think that the ones that look the best are the ones that only have mowed grass on the slopes and a different surface for the flat area.

Me too .. the ground level I used suppose to represent a mixture of ballast, weeds and brown pieces can be either horse manure or dirt.

I will remove the grass as said as they do look a bit odd.

Quote:
Also I am missing corner pieces for those slope-tiles:

Do you mean make some 90% corner pieces .. or just make the ends green so not to have the dark slope edges.

Quote:
Some tiny remarks/suggestions, regarding the slope going up to the platform and buildings that are in/on that slope:

Wasn't sure what to do here .. Maybe the small building could be moved a few pixels closer to larger building so door not look odd. Found a very old photo on internet and that small building is gents toilets and was a wall in front of the door similar to other gents toilets I did for other stations. So I will move it and put the wall in so people not see men peeing at the urinals.

Quote:
Finally (but that is maybe a matter of personal taste ;-) ), I don't think that the OpenGFX trees are pretty enough for this great looking station.... I think there are more better looking trees to be found in other GPL-licensed sets...

The trees I love to use is Aussie trees .. but unable to find out if they can be used. The maker hasn't been active since 2006 and made them for Train Set that Coalroads_Artist was involved with. Wonder if safe to use?
Attachment:
Aussie_Trees.png
Aussie_Trees.png [ 9.4 KiB | Viewed 7415 times ]

Another set of trees I found a few years ago when I first started to learn doing graphics are those zipped up here .. Can't remember where I got them from.
Attachment:
Trees.rar [40.14 KiB]
Downloaded 308 times

Any ideas if safe for me to use any of these.

Started doing Parkes railway station but it will be 5 tiles long .. might make 2 parts to it 2x1 and a 3x1 and players who have experience with lego blocks be able to join them.

To make room for extra stations and bits and pieces, started to join together what stations I did before. I joined Paterson Station so far. Will join Craven, Mindaribba and Kendall soon too.

Will not get much done tomorrow as heading to the physio for some torturing.

Cheers pal,

Good night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 18:38 
Player
Player

Quote:
Do you mean make some 90% corner pieces .. or just make the ends green so not to have the dark slope edges.

Yes, I mean separate corner pieces, like this (the blue should then become mowed grass, flat surface same as other flat surfaces, so 2 versions, 1 with gravel and 1 with normal climate grass)
Attachment:
Example296.png
Example296.png [ 57.31 KiB | Viewed 7415 times ]

Quote:
The trees I love to use is Aussie trees .. but unable to find out if they can be used. The maker hasn't been active since 2006 and made them for Train Set that Coalroads_Artist was involved with. Wonder if safe to use?

They look great, but not safe to use, you need explicit permission from the artist.... :sorry:
Quote:
Another set of trees I found a few years ago when I first started to learn doing graphics are those zipped up here .. Can't remember where I got them from.

Those are from the OpenGFX+Landscape GRF, GPL-licensed, so those are safe to use.
Quote:
Started doing Parkes railway station but it will be 5 tiles long

I dont mind making 5x1 templates for you. Will be after the weekend though at the earliest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 00:59 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Yes, I mean separate corner pieces, like this (the blue should then become mowed grass, flat surface same as other flat surfaces, so 2 versions, 1 with gravel and 1 with normal climate grass)

No prob .. have a go at these soon as I get chance.

Quote:
Those are from the OpenGFX+Landscape GRF, GPL-licensed, so those are safe to use.

Goodie .. will put them to use.

Quote:
dont mind making 5x1 templates for you. Will be after the weekend though at the earliest.

No big hurry on this. Maybe if can make a 5x1 and show me which parts to remove if ever want to make a 4x1 as looking at the Cobar Station. Might be nice if I make that one a bit longer too to fit in that single building better.

Maybe these long stations be better in the Fantasy Set. Then I can add Newcastle and see if I can do Sydney and a few other large stations and have them all in one bundle.

You know what my dream is :cucko: .. later after Fantasy and Wired Stations are finished. Do as many railway stations as I can from my State NSW. Do them up in sets, Southern Division (Cambelltown to Albury and branches), Western Division (Lithgow to Broken Hill and Bourke), Northern Division (Maitland to Walangarra and Moree), North Coast Division (Maitland to South Brisbane), and Metropolitan have all Sydney and Newcastle Suburban Station stations).

Whether or not I can do that .. just a dream at moment .. but might be interesting projects.

Have you ever thought of doing as many stations from your country?

Cheers pal .. I go get breaky and have a look at some of those ideas you told me while I wait for time to go get bus and be tortured.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 10:09 
Expert
Expert

Hows this?
Attachment:
buffers4.png
buffers4.png [ 18.95 KiB | Viewed 7414 times ]

Was a bit hard to make the timbers to the buffer stops be more visible with the grey ballast. These timbers be old so don't expect them to be newly cut timber look, so what I done I visited FIRS 1.4.3 Quarry and got a few loads of gravel.

I curved the grass and I think they came out pretty good.

Think be good if I extend the platform ramps so they line up with these curved grass.

Here's the file so can give it a try if like.

Looking at those awnings, I think would look nice if for the City platforms I extend that particular awning all the ways to the buffers and probably along the end platform too. Going to widen the ends so same width as Island Platforms and they should look good as a Station Concourse and be ready for building's to go on ends.

With the non-track tiles at the very end of that section is 2 concourse platforms for city platforms .. do you think people would use them or will the end platforms with the buffers if made wider would be suitable.

I got 19 IDs left in Part 2. When I do the awnings over the buffers be interesting how many be left once I do that.

I think might as well fill Part 2 and then close it.

Cheers pal

Cheers pal

Attachments:
auzstations_2_v001.rar [447.83 KiB]
Downloaded 298 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 14:10 
Expert
Expert

Seeing if I can change the brick texture to make look like rows .. similar to the weatherboard texture.

How's these look.
Attachment:
Bricks.png
Bricks.png [ 3.96 KiB | Viewed 7413 times ]

Top one is three layers, middle 3 layers used as fencing.

Bottom 2 layers of brick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 09:26 
Expert
Expert

Started joining stations I already done into 2x1 and 3x1 tiles.

This result of 2 in progress.

Mindaribba
Attachment:
Mindaribba.png
Mindaribba.png [ 6.09 KiB | Viewed 7411 times ]

Paterson
Attachment:
Paterson.png
Paterson.png [ 4.87 KiB | Viewed 7411 times ]

I think the original colour was green .. seen many from the 60s onwards in cream/yellowish colours.
But a old black and white photo I seen definitely wasn't a light colour as the buildings was a dark grey colour. I tried different colours converting them to grey se what was closest and it appears it was green. It will do till someone proves me wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 12:12 
Expert
Expert

How these look.
Attachment:
Mindaribba and Paterson.png
Mindaribba and Paterson.png [ 29.29 KiB | Viewed 7410 times ]

I was going to extend the length of ramps so can use the curved grass tiles, but I going to make smaller set of grass tiles to go with ramps this way will cover the dark areas you can see at Mindaribba.

If you want to have a play here the file.

Tomorrow I do a back up of everything and put a copy here.

Cheers

Attachments:
auzstations_2_v001.rar [473.2 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 16:31 
Player
Player

A lot to reply to ;-)
But not much time at the moment, will get back to you on that on sunday (so probably mondaymorning downunder)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 09:43 
Expert
Expert

Quast65 wrote:
lot to reply to But not much time at the moment, will get back to you on that on sunday (so probably mondaymorning downunder)

That no problem .. when you get a chance.

In the mean time I just keep adding more ;) :P :oops:
How this lot look.
Attachment:
buffers5.png
buffers5.png [ 44.41 KiB | Viewed 7408 times ]

What I done .. and might change some others .. is the platforms at the end of buffers made them same width as island platforms and some as you can see here I extended the awnings for the city platforms.

I got 5 IDs left in part 2 .. will use 2 of them for the grass tiles to go with the ramps.

Will create a few spare IDs when I finish joining the stations I done before. And I still haven't fixed Cobar.

I changed the brick work to the city platforms .. they look a bit neater and more like rows of bricks.

I zipped up Part 1 and 2 together as I changed some graphics in part 1. Send you the sources a bit later as given you a novel to read through now :)

Attachments:
Auzstations.rar [727.49 KiB]
Downloaded 320 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 13:09 
Player
Player

A quick reply regarding those bufferstops with awnings.
I really like those, but they have an issue when electrified:
Attachment:
Example297.png
Example297.png [ 52.11 KiB | Viewed 7407 times ]

It doesnt look too good when the bufferstops dont get catenary, as you would want to have the last catenarypole placed at the end of the track. (its ok for the bufferstops without awnings though, no need to change those)

I would therefor suggest to split it up...
Have bufferstops with awnings along the track and then have non-track pieces to make the L- and T-connections (maybe also a X-connection for terminus-tracks that come in from the left and right) to complete the walk-around

This will take up some more IDs, so I would suggest to put those bufferstops and non-track pieces in part-3. Might be a good start for that one ;-)

It will mean that you have to think about a re-design for those non-track tiles. As the entire tile will need to get a platform base and you may need to tweak the awnings a bit so that they connect to the buffers, but also extend towards a building on the other side....

EDIT:
I forgot that the regular platforms with awnings dont have pylons, just wires.... :oops:
Meaning that you just need to provide a custom pylon at the beginning of those bufferstops for electrified tracks... So, a double version of those stops, the current ones and ones that have a pylon just before the bufferstop...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 13:36 
Player
Player

I saw you just came online when I edited my post, re-read it please ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 14:25 
Expert
Expert

I came on to read what you wrote then my partner came on line in facebook, so I gave her piority :mrgreen:

I'll play around with those codes and see what happens.

Wasn't expecting to go to Part 3.

Maybe the Fantasy Stations can become Part 3. Overhead buildings so fare take up 41 IDs. Not sure what want to add to it yet. If do overhead shops and roads, might take up heaps.

Here's the sourses of parts 1 and 2 and the sprites if you got time to try some changes to codes.

I practicing with Template_Bufferstops43_32bpp to Template_Bufferstops48_32bpp these are the files for the buffer stops with Tile platforms.

The bitumen and white lines are Template_Bufferstops37_32bpp to Template_Bufferstops42_32bpp.

The first 2 of each set are normal platforms .. the other 4 are single platforms.

I'll play around for another 1/2 hour and then I go to dream world and try more tomorrow.

Cheers pal

Edit might be a good idea if I add the files.

Attachments:
BackupJuly8.rar [5.26 MiB]
Downloaded 302 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 14:38 
Expert
Expert

What if I make a platform that allows the poles and place this one with the buffer stops. No buffers.
Then make a non-track station tile with the awnings and the buffer. Players need to use both pieces if want overhead pole.

This be also help if players use different catenaries. Both you and Dutch have great set, plus the default type. Probably more out there too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 14:40 
Player
Player

Quote:
I'll play around with those codes and see what happens.

I dont think you need to play with the code for the bufferstops with awnings you made before I wrote my post.

Just make another set of those bufferstops, code them without catenary (so no Pylons and Wires) and draw a custom pylon at the front of those bufferstops that then will link up to the end of the wire of the regular platforms with awnings. Designing that pylon may be a bit difficult as there are many different catenarysets, will not be too difficult for most, just the Dutch Catenary may be a bit harder as that has way higher top-wires (the low wire is always on the same hight though for all catenary sets)

A player can then choose to either use the "normal" stops with wires that go through the awnings or to use the "new" set.

Try it with one buffer and see how it looks, if that doesnt work we need to think of another solution...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 14:52 
Expert
Expert

Just experimented with previous idea.
Attachment:
buffer test.png
buffer test.png [ 13.59 KiB | Viewed 7405 times ]

If I make separate platform witrh awnin with out the buffer and allow poles. Should get simular result as shown in pic. Then the big platforms at back cut a piece out of them and put buffer here. Buffer will be part of a non-track tile .. but for easy finding in game I put it in Buffer Stops along with the platform that allow the poles.

I'll experiment more with it tomorrow.

But what ever way I do this .. I think a Part 3 will be needed.

Why is it when we get our ideas .. they start out simple and small, and they get bigger and bigger. :mrgreen:

Cheers pal, I heading to bed .. ni ni

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 15:25 
Player
Player

Worth a try!! ;-)
Do take in account that in some cases the placement of the pylon (on left or right side of track) may be dependent on where you place the tile. I noticed this just some time ago, that on a certain row pylons are placed left, next row right, next one left again, etc etc. Only end pylons are always on the same side (so hopefully the game sees it as an "end"). So test it out on various places on the grid and check if it looks good enough for you.

Something I noticed though, all platforms that have no big structures on them (buildings or awnings) only have wires and no pylons. Is this intended? Or did I make a mistake in the template-code? As I think it is ok for "bare" platforms to have pylons...

Part-3 will indeed be needed, as I also think that you will eventually come up with way more ideas and stations :help:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 23:52 
Expert
Expert

Just woke up .. will experiment with some ideas today see how they look.

Quote:
Something I noticed though, all platforms that have no big structures on them (buildings or awnings) only have wires and no pylons.

I coded that in see how they look. If player has a short platforms looks ok, but looks odd for long platforms. Not sure which was to go with it.

Quote:
Part-3 will indeed be needed

I'll put these new ideas in Part 3 to test the ideas .. that way I can finish off Part 2 with what I got and add just a few more stations and finish Cobar which at moment is a 3x1 and 1x1 tile. Hope can release it and Part 1 end of week, then can concentrate on the others.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 03:55 
Expert
Expert

Here's Cobar redone.

The small building is a 1x1 tile and rest 3x1. I put the awnings on front of the buildings where they suppose to be as the ones I had on platforms were either to short or to long.

I see if I can finish off joining the other stations today and see who many IDs I will have spare.

At the moment I have 3 .. but already know what 2 of them will be used for.

Cheers

Attachments:
Cobar3.png
Cobar3.png [ 32.9 KiB | Viewed 7403 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 10:53 
Expert
Expert

Giving you another novel to read.

I made a platform with awning that accept the stanchions and I made the terminal awnings with buffer a non-track tile.

The stanchions build at end of track just before buffers.

If start the station on wrong tile, you end up with 2 stanchions with one of the tracks.

Source files for all 3 Parts attached. Also attach Part 3 game file separate.

I started a Vote in other forum see what players thing of no stanchions showing on platforms ..4 so far like the idea.

Cheers pal

Edit:

Spreadsheet is included with sauce so can see where I up to with it.

Attachments:
BackupJuly9.rar [5.97 MiB]
Downloaded 294 times
auzstations_3_v001.nfo [66.07 KiB]
Downloaded 302 times
Electrified Buffers.png
Electrified Buffers.png [ 35.22 KiB | Viewed 7402 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 20:41 
Player
Player

A lot to comment on, a lot for you to read on a rainy day, here we go ;-)

Quote:
Maybe if can make a 5x1 and show me which parts to remove if ever want to make a 4x1 as looking at the Cobar Station. Might be nice if I make that one a bit longer too to fit in that single building better.

Will make templates for you for both, 4x1 and 5x1. Probably somewhere during the coming week.

Quote:
Maybe these long stations be better in the Fantasy Set. Then I can add Newcastle and see if I can do Sydney and a few other large stations and have them all in one bundle.

Put all stations that are based on or exactly like real stations in Auz stations (whatever part number at that time ;-) ) Keep Fantasy Set solely for stuff that does not really exist like that in Australia.

Quote:
Have you ever thought of doing as many stations from your country?

I am very lucky with the fantastic graphicswork from Silverx50, he is working on a lot of Dutch stations at the moment, I just have to code them ;-) Part-3 of the Dutch set is being worked on ;-)

Quote:
gravel buffer stops

I like the new design/colors, the timberwork looks good!
I have my doubts about the color/hue of the gravel though. I think the yellow is too bright, looks like freshly dug up stuff ;-) Maybe make it a bit darker (should be simple to do in photoshop, select that area and apply a colorfilter or another effect to make it look a bit darker, tweak it a bit, see what happens ;-) )
Also (but I may be wrong about this, you may have seen them in reallife, if so, ignore this comment ;-) ) I think they are placed the wrong way around ;-)
I think the open area (where the gravel slopes down to the ground) should be at the end of the buffer, not against the track. If a train hits that slope, there is a chance that the train runs up onto the gravelpile into the air and may not stop... If it hits the timberwork (where the gravel is piled to the top) it has a bigger chance of being stopped...
Like I said, I may be wrong, but to me that would be more logical for that type of buffer to do what it should be supposed to do ;-)

Quote:
Seeing if I can change the brick texture to make look like rows
How's these look.

I think the middle one (for brick fencing) is ok, the others have some very obvious patterns.
The top one is pretty good, but looks like the "blocks" are stacked directly ontop each other, I think they should "alternate" a bit to give strength, a zig-zag look so to say.
The third one should have a lot more texture I think, to emulate "little" bricks.
I changed them:
1 is your design
2 is my rework for the "big"bricks (the top one is the two rows you need to get the zig-zag)
3 is the "little" bricks with added "noise" to give them more texture without too obvious patterns emerging
what do you think? (note that I did not check if any of these colors are "animated", check that when used!!)
Attachment:
Bricks_Q65edit.png
Bricks_Q65edit.png [ 6.76 KiB | Viewed 7400 times ]

Quote:
Mindaribba & Paterson

Very nice!

Quote:
Trees

A random comment, now that you are using OpenGFX+Landscape trees, I think one of those would look better for Binalong island-station....

Quote:
Craven Station

That station doesnt have a purchase-menu graphic (at least not in the most recent version of the set I used, may already been fixed)

Quote:
Grass slope Non-track tile

The first one still has mowed grass on groundlevel, the others have the climate-dependant grass (at least in the most recent version of the set I used, may already been fixed)

Quote:
Pylons on or off?

I must agree with what Alberth said over at the other forums, your designs look way better without those pylons. I also voted to keep them as you already coded them ;-)

Quote:
Buffer Stops Catenary, TRACKS UNDER THE BUFFER

You used the code for non-track tiles for those new ones. Those now have a plain grass base-tile, that should be a tracked-tile (looks better I think, like the other buffers). You need to change the code for those a bit.
You now have these lines of code in the code-block (for a single tile):
Code:
                 8D 0F 00 00 00 00 00 10 10 03 2D 84 00 00 00 00 00 10 10 03 2E 84 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 2F 44 22 03 80
                 8D 0F 00 00 00 00 00 10 10 03 30 84 00 00 00 00 00 10 10 03 31 84 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 32 44 22 03 80

Code:
8D 0F
refers to the plain grass base-tile, those should be changed to tracked base-tiles:
Code:
F4 03
(for that first codeline)
and
Code:
F3 03
(for the second codeline)
depending on the direction of the track.
You also need to change that for those new multi-tile buffers, do check that the right direction of track shows up under the right buffer-direction ;-)

Quote:
Buffer Stops Catenary, LINK-UP TO CATENARY-WIRES

The idea of using extra platforms with awnings with pylons kind of works, but does not really look too good with your pretty stations...
As you have made custom bufferstops anyway (and very smart, you put them in a separate purchasemenu), draw a crossbeam over the beginning of the tile, something like this:
Attachment:
Example298.png
Example298.png [ 55.16 KiB | Viewed 7400 times ]

Just a suggestion of what I mean, you may be able to get a better design that fits better into the awnings. You then dont need those separate pyloned platforms with awnings anymore, so that also frees up some IDs ;-)
I think it looks like Sydney station has a couple of those:
Attachment:
Example299.png
Example299.png [ 707.04 KiB | Viewed 7400 times ]

I think a custom design like that will make the ending of the wires look way better than using the game-generated pylons poking through your pretty artwork.....

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next