It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:20

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 39   [ 769 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: GarryG Does Bridges
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 03:30 
Expert
Expert

I did it .. I drew the icon .. good thing I never sent the left over steal from bridge to the scrap yards .. had just enough remaining.

I better get off the computer .. not know why but one of the kids wants to use it.

Cheers

Attachments:
AuzBridges03SteelGirderRailwithicon.png
AuzBridges03SteelGirderRailwithicon.png [ 15.23 KiB | Viewed 8647 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 13:04 
Master Mentor

I am very modest too. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 13:10 
Expert
Expert

Good thing you and I believe each other as others wouldn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 17:05 
Master Mentor

OK! Here is the package.
It contains:
AuzBridges.nfo which is the source code.
AuzBridges.grf
A save game for your previewing pleasure
The Steel Girder road sprites
The Steel Girder rail sprites

NOTE: It is NOT yet ready for Bananas.
Post the GRF to a tt-forums topic so that players can test it for themselves and add comments.

Let's give it until the end of September to see if the players find anything we missed before moving on to your next bridge.

Enjoy.

Attachment:
AuzBridges.zip [72.5 KiB]
Downloaded 296 times

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 18:06 
Expert
Expert

Thank you ever so kindly.

Just had a quick look and they really good. Will put a copy in both my object forums .. in TTD and here in Simuscape and see what happens.

I don't intend to put them on Bananas until all the bridges are done and see if I can make a set of railway lines to match.

Looks like I be heading back to Australia towards end of October for health problems. Not sure how long I be there this time. Old injuries and getting old don't match up to well.

I should be in bed .. which I was .. but not able to sleep so got back up again for a while.

Cheers pal and thanks again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 19:38 
Player
Player

Hey guys, congrats with the release! :W
I did a quick test and I must say, I really like the fulltile roadbridge, it looks so nice in urban areas where the roads have sidewalks!!

But I did find something ;-)
There is an issue with the pillars of the railbridge when higher than one level:
Attachment:
Example182.png
Example182.png [ 104.41 KiB | Viewed 8642 times ]

Furthermore, but that may be a matter of taste (and I am not sure if it is possible code-wise), in my opinion there are too many pillars holding up the bridge. I think it would look nicer if there are no pillars under the middle of the two-tile girders. I also believe that in construction these pillars wont be necessary, as the girders are holding up the bridge there. Pillars would only be needed at the meetingpoints of two girdersections. But, like I said, that may also be a matter of taste. :oops:

Finally, but I havent checked that out myself, looking at the screenshot Garry posted here:
http://www.simuscape.net/simutalk/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=812&start=260#p11640
there are some white pixels on the railbridge, where the ramp goes over into the flat bridge itself.
But I havent reproduced that myself, as I didnt test it with other railtypes.

Thnx again for the release and I look forward to updates!! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 20:57 
Master Mentor

GarryG wrote:
Will put a copy in both my object forums .. in TTD and here in Simuscape and see what happens.

Not in your object forums. There will be a lot of discussion about the bridges and it will get lost in the object discussions.
Your bridges should have their own topic on tt-forums.
There is a topic already in Simuscape ... this one. Also, Simuscape has a Download section. I'll help you get set up in there.

Quote:
Looks like I be heading back to Australia towards end of October for health problems. Not sure how long I be there this time. Old injuries and getting old don't match up to well.
Take care of yourself lad.

Quote:
I should be in bed .. which I was .. but not able to sleep so got back up again for a while.
A warm cup of tea and back to bed young man! :x

:mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 21:13 
Master Mentor

That was quick. :o

Quast65 wrote:
But I did find something ;-)
I new that was coming. :twisted:

Quote:
There is an issue with the pillars of the railbridge when higher than one level:
:oops: I missed that in the previews. A smaill alignment adjustment will fix that in the next release.

Quote:
Furthermore, but that may be a matter of taste (and I am not sure if it is possible code-wise), in my opinion there are too many pillars holding up the bridge. I think it would look nicer if there are no pillars under the middle of the two-tile girders. I also believe that in construction these pillars wont be necessary, as the girders are holding up the bridge there. Pillars would only be needed at the meetingpoints of two girdersections. But, like I said, that may also be a matter of taste. :oops:
It is indeed possible to do what you suggest, but what about the three-tile girders?
Check them out in the attached savegame:
Attachment:
Auz Bridge Engineering, 3rd Jan 2040.sav [9.78 KiB]
Downloaded 293 times

Quote:
there are some white pixels on the railbridge, where the ramp goes over into the flat bridge itself.
But I havent reproduced that myself, as I didnt test it with other railtypes.
That white pixel does not appear in the above save-game.
@Garry ... Which tracktype did you use?

Quote:
Thnx again for the release and I look forward to updates!! :W
Seems you've just provoked at least one. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 02:50 
Expert
Expert

Good morning all,

I used NuTracks .. the white dot might be in normal but impossible to see with the white rails.

I never notice the pillar problem last night .. maybe it because I wanted my own pillow that time of night and guess excited the bridges was ready.

I'll make a bridge forum in the other forum today and add it there.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 12:29 
Master Mentor

For Simuscape you can post your bridge downloads here. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 13:16 
Player
Player

Thnx Wally for that savegame, a handy way to check out all possible options :W
Quote:
but what about the three-tile girders?

Those also look strong enough to loose the two pillars under them (if possible):
Attachment:
Example183.png
Example183.png [ 58.67 KiB | Viewed 8629 times ]

But with checking that out I also noticed something else (in the red circles) :roll:
The placement of the catenary pylons.... Could it be that the rail girder bridge is just a tad too narrow??...

If so, and thus when made a bit wider, it could also fix another issue I had and that is that I think that the railgirder bridge is too high right now in relation to its narrowness... I believe that is done to also suit the Dutch Catenary pylons (by the way, I think the Dutch Catenary is too high anyway, so its more that that issue is forcing a bridge artist to accommodate other peoples work that is a bit offsize....). But making the bridge a bit wider could solve that issue, making the hight look better in relation to the narrowness... Do note, that this may be a matter of personal taste :oops:

Finally, I would like to suggest to also make a version of the roadbridge without girders. With the sidewalks it looks strong enough and pretty enough to not need girders.

EDIT: @Wally, if the issue with the catenary pylons is caused by the bridge being too narrow, it may be a good idea to incorporate where pylons are placed in your bridge making tutorial.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 14:26 
Expert
Expert

Looks like bridge need to be about 2 pixels wider each way. If you want it wider Wally, give me a few days or more to see what can be done.

I didn't know the Dutch catenary might be a bit high .. just that it looks more realistic with the two wires.

Could have two versions of road bridge one with the girders as some bridges are, and remove them in another version to represent a concrete bridge.

The wooden road bridge I will keep narrow but all other road bridges hope make them wide so can be parallel with each other for multi lane roads.

When I do concrete rail bridge could consider wide bridge for those too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 19:59 
Master Mentor

Build the 2 span bridge with the catemaries.
There will be no girders to obstruct your view.
Do it in the / and \ directions.
Take a screenshot.
Use that as a guide for how much you will need to widen the bridge.

For the pillars as suggested by Quast65, this is doable but you will lose the double pillar thickness. The decision is yours. You don't have to redraw anything. I can work with what we have.

As for Quast65's suggestion to add a "no girder" steel bridge, I disagree. The players can use the concrete or wood bridges if they want no girders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 03:28 
Expert
Expert

Strange when I tested the bridge several weeks ago I copied the Dutch catenary to see if fit, but I had the posts over side so not notice if too wide.

Hope get that fix in a day or two.

I think Quast65 idea about removing that pillar will give it a better effect. So remove a pillar be ok.

I like to keep the steel girder road bridge as is .. and I'll do a concrete bridge similar to this without the girders as well so have both types.

The steel girder bridge seems to work ok with default bridges and the TBR sets so technically I not need many more bridges. 3 more at most. The wooden one, the one with the iron plating and a concrete one (as the concrete one in TBR is only short) like to be able to have one that can be longer. TBR has a brick so no need to do another unless you like one that is wider.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 10:23 
Expert
Expert

Did some test with default bridges and the TBR sets .. those with steal girders such as the Tied Arch, Truss Bridge, girder steel and some others all 20 pixels wide.

My bridge is only 14 wide.

Question is do I adjust mine 2 pixels each way make it 18 or should I follow example of the other bridges and make it 20 wide?

The steel girder bridge might me ok being 20 wide and some of the others bridges I like to design .. but do not want the wooden bridge that wide as it will take away the realism of it and also to my knowledge there are no wooden bridges in real with catenary on them anyway.

Before I start changing the bridge to a wider type I wait and see what opinions are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 12:52 
Expert
Expert

I accidently put this in the AuzBridge forum over on TTD. Meant to go here.

EDIT:

I got my thinking cap on .. my steal girder bridge based on this a real design. (Not at my computer so not able to add the pic at moment).

What if I leave the tracks narrow like they are, but only widen the pillars and the steal girder sections, so that the stanchions from the catenary will be on a pillar.

Maybe could make pillars default width of 20 if like.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 13:00 
Master Mentor

In the save game I sent to you the default bridges are displayed along the edge of the map, roads on the left and rail on the right.
Those bridges are in number sequence.
With AuxBridges loaded, you can see your Steel Girder Bridge replacing default bridge #3.
Swap AuzBridges out for TBRS and all those bridges will become TBRS.
Add AuzBridges below/after TBRS and your bridge will reappear.
Now you can see and decide which TBRS bridge # to replace.

GarryG wrote:
Question is do I adjust mine 2 pixels each way make it 18 or should I follow example of the other bridges and make it 20 wide?
Test with the "no girder" spans (00 and 01).
Draw an 18 wide sprite and a 20 wide sprite and I will code them so that you can build and test them in game with the catenaries.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 13:53 
Expert
Expert

Checking the different bridge numbers .. can use any of these with future bridges 2, 4, 5, 6, 12 and 13.

Because No.1 is wooden bridge in default set and brick bridge in TBR set .. if ever possible I think bridges could be as follows.

1. Wooden Bridge
2. Brick Bridge
3. Brick pillars with Iron spans between bridges
4. Steel Girder
5. Concrete bridge
6. Similar to your Urban Transit Bridge, but a Iron colour and pillars just wide enough to take the catenary poles. Tables 04 and 05 be steel girder design.
The Rest no plans. But if allow could replace 12 and 13 with your Urban Transit bridge :) and have 2 different colour schemes.

Not sure how long take me to redo the steel girder bridge .. maybe a day or two.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 15:15 
Master Mentor

Be carefull of TBRS. Folks seem to be unsure of its license. It is not GPL. It seems to be Creative Commons. You are safe to use its bridges in your set, but I recommend that they be used as drawn by thgorgo. For the TBRS bridges that you adopt, we can place them anywhere in your set. Note that this will mean that a player should not use TBRS and AuzBridges in the same game as there will be duplications. The best approach is to select the TBRS bridges that you want to replace and we can do this number for number. Another consideration ... Are there any default bridges that you want to preserve?

On another note, my Urban Transit System Bridge is a work of art that I worked long and hard to create. It is Creative Commons and not normally available to other sets, but I am flexible and would allow it into AuzBridges, but it must not be modified or recoloured in any way. It must be used exactly as is.

GarryG wrote:
Not sure how long take me to redo the steel girder bridge .. maybe a day or two.
Just work on the 00/01 sprite for now. Once a workable width has been determined, then the other parts can be added.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 15:22 
Expert
Expert

I wasn't going to use any TBR bridges .. just if I use TBS with my set .. it be ok if my set replaced those in TBR and also in defaults.

Your welcome to make these bridges Creative Commons if like as all bridges I have in this set are our own design.

I manage to alter the bridges quicker then I thought .. I kicked the kids off early :mrgreen:

I've did these 18 pixels wide.
Attachment:
Auz_Rail_Steel3.png
Auz_Rail_Steel3.png [ 24 KiB | Viewed 8607 times ]

Cheers

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 39   [ 769 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 39  Next