It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:32

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 13:59 
Simuscape Admin

Well, this is it... believe it or not but I have finally gotten around to install OpenTTD on my computers, and will start to develop my first map of Innovatia for OpenTTD ever... And the only reason for this is due to the "patchpack" that includes custom bridgeheads which has been my main concern as far as crossing from TTDP to OTTD regards...

So hopefully this will work out nicely as I have loads of ideas to try out with those bigger maps that comes with OpenTTD. But I do have one question for a starter; Should I go with a 512x512 or a 1024x1024 sized map? Reason for asking is that I tend to develop quite large cities, and while size has been a limitation as far as TTDP concerns, I won't have that issue with this game. In other words, large cities - although not to many of them - but also a challenging landscape overall with lots of mountains, valleys, seas, and what not... 512x512 or a 1024x1024 is the question...

Those of you with experience from both these sizes, pros and cons?

I'd appreciate some inputs here before I go ahead and launch anything, and start posting screens from this exciting project. Differently from my previous work on Innovatia fpr TTDP, I have decided, thanks to SlemFreaks suggestion, not to create a pre-modelled scenario, but instead terraform, develop and improve as I go along... This could possibly make up for some interesting developments during the process itself...

So anyway, enough with the rambling... Help me decide on the map size and I'll start posting screens... :)

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 15:50 
Master Mentor

Go with the largest map possible. You don't have to use all of it, but the extra room will be there if you find that you need it. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 20:49 
Lurker
Lurker

Just a heads up, when dealing with OTTD patchpacks such as the CBH New Map Features, you should be aware that future versions of the patchpack may break savegame & scenario compatibility -- that is, if you start a game with a particular version (e.g. r25084M) of a patchpack, you could potentially be forced to stick with that particular version of the patchpack if you want to keep playing the same game, as newer revisions may be incompatible.

This usually isn't a problem with versions that have been thouroughly bug-tested (which it seems the New Map Features has been recently), but if you find a bug in the patchpack and a new bugfix version is released, you might be stuck with the bug until you start a new game. The particulars of savegame compatibility is up to the patch author.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 20:53 
Lurker
Lurker

wallyweb wrote:
Go with the largest map possible. You don't have to use all of it, but the extra room will be there if you find that you need it. 8-)

Large maps can be demanding on computer resources, so I wouldn't recommend going for a larger size simply because you can. If you plan on having many, many towns and vehicles, a 1024x1024 game can potentially become slow and laggy, unless you have a powerful computer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 23:10 
Simuscape Admin

wallyweb wrote:
Go with the largest map possible. You don't have to use all of it, but the extra room will be there if you find that you need it.

I think I'll settle with a 512x512 map... In all honesty I've been a bit annoyed at times when scrolling across a 256x256 map, so using a 1024x1024 map might make me go mad enough to actually grab a hammer and start smashing my computer into pieces... :mrgreen:

Supercheese wrote:
Just a heads up, when dealing with OTTD patchpacks such as the CBH New Map Features, you should be aware that future versions of the patchpack may break savegame & scenario compatibility

Well, if worse comes to worse I can always copy over my new cities onto a new map... right? In TTDP I actually used two computer screens, one with an old Innovatia map and the other one with a completely fresh Innovatia-to be map, and I simply modelled the terrain to get the cities to look exactly the same as they did in the old map... a bit tidious to say the least, but it was sort of fun at the same time... Isn't it possible to actually copy and paste from one map to another? If so, no problems really... :P

Supercheese wrote:
Large maps can be demanding on computer resources, so I wouldn't recommend going for a larger size simply because you can. If you plan on having many, many towns and vehicles, a 1024x1024 game can potentially become slow and laggy, unless you have a powerful computer.

I'm thiking mostly 10 cities or so with a few of them being large... I beliege a 512x512 will do... It'll give me enough room as far as country side concerns... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 03:18 
Lurker
Lurker

In current OTTD you can copy over the terrain (heightmap) from one version to another without having to worry about compatibility. You'd have to place towns, rivers, roads, objects, industries, and anything else manually, as those can't (yet) be copied over automatically.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 06:10 
Master Mentor

Supercheese would be most knowledgeable on this, and I may stand to be corrected, but I believe it is possible to have more than one OTTD version installed and running on a PC. If this is indeed the case, you would be able to keep the latest version that is known to support your scenario while trying it out on the newest release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 09:43 
Simuscape Admin

Supercheese wrote:
You'd have to place towns, rivers, roads, objects, industries, and anything else manually, as those can't (yet) be copied over automatically.

...and believe me, that's the easy part... :P

wallyweb wrote:
If this is indeed the case, you would be able to keep the latest version that is known to support your scenario while trying it out on the newest release.

Oh, that is good if that's the case...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 23:59 
Lurker
Lurker

You should be able to have different versions of OTTD on the same machine, no problem. Just install them in separate locations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 00:09 
Lurker
Lurker

You should also be aware of two other nice features.

Maps do not need to be square. 1024 x 512, 256 x 2048, and any other of the standard sizes, are possible in any combination you care to choose.

Map edges do not have to be water. Any edge can be water and any edge can be attached to land.

--------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 12:22 
Simuscape Admin

Thanks Niteowl! :) I know I can chose irregular map sizes, but I'll go for a square one nevertheless... :)

But there is however something that may be a concern... Those of you familiar with my TTDP-versions of Innovatia also knows about my constant changes to them... While I've had no problems bulldozing half the cities almost on a monthly basis :mrgreen: simply to change something, I only had to load up those maps in the scenario editor when chnaging my industrial areas. The reason for that is because I usually wants to make optimal use of tiles when combining different industries together on a smaller space, (have a look on some of my screens for my TTDP-versions of Innovatia, and you'll get the idea).

However, it seems - or so I've been told - that I can't pause a game in OTTD and load it in the scenario editor to make some changes to it, and then continue with the game - something which is quite possible in TTDP? What's the story here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 19:34 
Simuscape Admin

You might wanna look at this

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 20:36 
Lurker
Lurker

SAC wrote:
However, it seems - or so I've been told - that I can't pause a game in OTTD and load it in the scenario editor to make some changes to it, and then continue with the game - something which is quite possible in TTDP? What's the story here?

Nah, you can do that easily: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1034837

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 01:07 
Simuscape Admin

Supercheese wrote:
Nah, you can do that easily: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1034837

Thank God... that's a relief... thanks... :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 03:29 
Simuscape Admin

Screens are coming - in case anyone is waiting for them... The thing is, I have to spend some time trying to transfer some of my graphics from TTDP-based files onto OTTD-ones, and it's rather time consuming, but I'm getting there...

And speaking of which, is OTTD okey with files - even industrial ones - that has been updated graphics-wise, but without any changes of codes and stuff?

On another note, I seem to be able to use bridges a bit differently than in TTDP... Another positive thing... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 14:08 
Simuscape Admin

Here's an update for those of you interested in the overall progress;

Code:
Completed .grf's for use in Open Innovatia...

ecstown.grf = 1 1 1 31 0
ecsbas2.grf = 19
ecsmach.grf = 19
ecschem2.grf = 19
ECSWood.grf = 19
ecsagri.grf = 19
citystationsw.grf =
dutchstatw.grf =
4LVW.GRF =
heqs.grf = 9 9 1 1 1 1
fish.grf = 1
dutchtramsetlv4w.grf =
Y2DMUW.GRF =
ai_swedish.grf =
grassyknoll.grf =
snowlinemod.grf = 10 10
water_edges.grf =
kadelbuw.grf =
MSCP.GRF =
swehouses.grf = 1 1
ttrs3w.grf = 1 5 0 0
obridge1w.grf = 4713
b11_tbrsclone.grf =
infrastat_132.grf =
fakeapv2_714.grf =
blanktiles1w.grf =
blanktiles2w.grf =
blanktiles3w.grf =
10-101infraroads.grf =
SAC_Streets1x1_P1.grf =
SAC_Parks1x1_P1.grf =
SAC_Parks1x1_P2.grf =
SAC_Parks1x1_P3.grf =
SAC_Items1x1_P1.grf =
sac_mixed1x1_p1.grf =
EC1x2w.grf =
ec1x2w2.grf =
EC1x3w.grf =
EC2x2aw.grf =
EC2x2bw.grf =
EC2x2cw.grf =
EC2x2dw.grf =
EC2x3w.grf =
EC2x4w.grf =
EC3x3w.grf =
EC4x4w.grf =
EC5x5w.grf =
ec6x6w.grf =

All INFRA-files, as mentioned previously, have been adapted to work in the arctic climate, some of them also updated with new objects... Three Blank Tiles included, all of them with some organized objects to be placed as station tiles rather then new objects which will save up some slots - especially when placing in cities... All snow has been removed in those .grf's having snow aware objects...

Code:
Not completed .grf's for use in Open Innovatia...

ECSHouse.grf = 15
dstatsw.grf =
indstatrw.grf =
pb_av8w.grf = 0 0 0 0 2 1
total_bridges.grf = 1
testw.grf =

To the not completed list also belongs the base OGFX graphics set as all of them is being updated with appropriate graphics in line with what has been used in TTDP - and to make it possible to play a temperate game in an arctic environment for the sake of making use of rocks and tree lines...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 13:51 
Simuscape Admin

Just a quick note to those who may be waiting for screens as promised; I'm still in the process of preparing all .grf's I plan to use and since most of them includes replacing a number of graphics with my own, (which goes for the base set as well), it's a bit time consuming... :shock: But I'm getting closer... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 23:41 
Master Mentor

Just out of curiosity, way back in your previous incarnation as the Queen of TTDPatch, did you happen to replace the sprites in the trg[x]r.grf set of files?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 02:15 
Simuscape Admin

wallyweb wrote:
Just out of curiosity, way back in your previous incarnation as the Queen of TTDPatch, did you happen to replace the sprites in the trg[x]r.grf set of files?

As a matter of fact I did! Almost all graphics except those CEO faces which I never bothered to change - although I wanted to at times... :P

And if your next question is about OpenTTD the answer would have to be the same... yes, I replace most graphics there as well - except those even uglier CEO faces... at this point anyway... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 12:11 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
wallyweb wrote:

As a matter of fact I did!
Did you know that you can use the trg[x]r.grf files as OTTD base graphics? :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next