It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:03

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 02:35 
Browser
Browser

I have given myself a "Little" challenge, I'm going to construct London and the surrounding area in OTTD as accurately as possible giving the limitations of TTDs right angel roads and the inability of placing tunnels under water.

I’m doing this as a fill in spare time so I’m giving myself a year to complete this task, could take less depends.

So I start two nights ago on making the height map of the Thames valley/estuary area.
I used the height map tutorial http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=27052 and Google maps for all the detailing and combined bother images on Photoshop to produce the map.

Here it is h1024xw2048 since this was taken I've added Reservoires

Attachment:
london city height map.png
london city height map.png [ 266.12 KiB | Viewed 16111 times ]

Tonight I’ve started on the M25 Motorway that surrounds London, I was thinking I could use the motorway as a reference for layout out towns and the districts of London.

I’m planning on leaving all the areas for train stations, depots and other rail infrastructure ready for me to place them in game. Obviously I can’t include the London underground but I may try to include the above ground lines and stations.

Here is my start point the M25/M20 junction (J3) south east of Swanley

Attachment:
M25 J3.png
M25 J3.png [ 1019.5 KiB | Viewed 16111 times ]

hope you will enjoy watching me attempt this lol i know the family wont lol
Ill update soon :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 02:54 

Of course. It looks very promising.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 06:21 
Artists Guild

You should use mine/foobar's grf, "Dutch Road Furniture" with the "UK Road Furniture Addon".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 00:42 
Browser
Browser

Leanden wrote:
You should use mine/foobar's grf, "Dutch Road Furniture" with the "UK Road Furniture Addon".

i forgot about that lol ill added them to it with this junction ill just add a random town so i can add them

here it is to compare.

Real

Attachment:
M25 J3 real.png
M25 J3 real.png [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 16087 times ]

before
Attachment:
M25 J3.png
M25 J3.png [ 1019.5 KiB | Viewed 16087 times ]

after
Attachment:
M25 J3 DUTCHUK ROAD.png
M25 J3 DUTCHUK ROAD.png [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 16087 times ]

to me the UK roadset looks abit to dark mmm what was the original dutch road textures?

its ashame you cant make the bridges look like one wide one with 6 lines

ill wait for your opinion before continuing

8-)

Last edited by boohey on 05 Jun 2012, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 01:18 
Artists Guild

You should also note, that the UK Road Furniture Addon works best with my UK Roads /w Signs GRF :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 02:05 
Browser
Browser

Leanden wrote:
You should also note, that the UK Road Furniture Addon works best with my UK Roads /w Signs GRF :)

that is your road gif lol you think it looks best with the extras and your road gif?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 02:18 
Lurker
Lurker

boohey wrote:
Obviously I can’t include the London underground but I may try to include the above ground lines and stations.

Actually, you can very feasibly include the Underground, just use the UKRS Add-On Set that adds the Underground stock, and then pick a station set that allows you to cleverly hide the underground stations so they appear to only be buildings, such as the "Japanese Modular" stations and their "overpass" tiles. Then, dig down, build those stations, and connect them with tunnels, hiding the tunnelheads/signals (and at least one train depot, too) beneath road bridges and you've got a very stealthy underground railway. It gets even better if you use a custom build of OTTD that enables signals in tunnels, then you can really hide the rails and increase train density significantly.

If you like, I can provide a sample savegame wherein I used exactly this strategy and obtained some very nice results, IMHO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 06:16 
Browser
Browser

Supercheese wrote:
boohey wrote:
Obviously I can’t include the London underground but I may try to include the above ground lines and stations.

Actually, you can very feasibly include the Underground, just use the UKRS Add-On Set that adds the Underground stock, and then pick a station set that allows you to cleverly hide the underground stations so they appear to only be buildings, such as the "Japanese Modular" stations and their "overpass" tiles. Then, dig down, build those stations, and connect them with tunnels, hiding the tunnelheads/signals (and at least one train depot, too) beneath road bridges and you've got a very stealthy underground railway. It gets even better if you use a custom build of OTTD that enables signals in tunnels, then you can really hide the rails and increase train density significantly.

If you like, I can provide a sample savegame wherein I used exactly this strategy and obtained some very nice results, IMHO.

There is also FreakNL's "Subways Disguised as Parks". Maybe I should take that up and add some buildings to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 15:48 
Player
Player

A while ago I altered the sprites of the Total Bridge Renewal Set to match UK-roads. Sadly I didn't know back then that there were 2 types of palettes, so I extracted them in the wrong palette (which made some grey's pink). But the base is there, maybe a bit of recoloring could fix the palette problem. And it will make the bridges fit in a lot better. I donated these sprites in the TBR thread. See here for the .pcx: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38492&hilit=Total+Bridge+renewal&start=500#p1004310

Also I recolored the highwayends to match the UK roads, but only righthand drive (and also in wrong palette) ;-) So that won't be much use to you. But that was a fairly easy job, shouldn't take you too long to alter these too and it looks a lot better.
Attachment:
Dutchroadfurn01.png
Dutchroadfurn01.png [ 125.3 KiB | Viewed 16069 times ]

In regards to the undergroundstations. I use the Subway's disguised as parks GRF for that too: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48614&hilit=subway+park But I altered it to make it look like a Dutch Metro entrance in the city of Rotterdam. My sprites for that can be found here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266#p978643 The Dutch yellow M, could easily be replaced with the London Underground logo. Anyway those sprites can be used in anyway one seems fit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 01:05 
Browser
Browser

Supercheese wrote:

yeah that would be nice to have a look at cheers :)

kamnet wrote:
There is also FreakNL's "Subways Disguised as Parks". Maybe I should take that up and add some buildings to it.

That would be amazing if you could do that ive given it a try with the pcx file. ive made a cross of the subways park grf and Quast65 metro subway station enterance (cut/paste job)

Attachment:
subwayparkmetro.png
subwayparkmetro.png [ 7.21 KiB | Viewed 16054 times ]

Quast65 wrote:
Total Bridge Renewal Set to match UK-roads

yeah had a look at your pcx file should i start again and replace the road on the original so i dont have to fix all the pink ?

anyway of adding this?

Attachment:
Gherkin.png
Gherkin.png [ 21.77 KiB | Viewed 16052 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 03:26 
Lurker
Lurker

boohey wrote:
Supercheese wrote:
yeah that would be nice to have a look at cheers :)
All right, will do when I get home.

boohey wrote:
anyway of adding this?
I think that would exceed the maximum size of OTTD's bounding boxes, unfortunately...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 05:39 
Lurker
Lurker

All right, here is the savegame I mentioned. It was made with Chill's Patchpack, so you'll need that (http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/chillpp/releases/ pretty much any of those should do). It also has loads and loads of NewGRFs, I will endeavor to list as many as I can here, but some you won't be able to find anywhere at all, since I made them for my personal use only. Anyhow, here goes for the ones you can't find on bananas:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 80#p972473 (emergency vehicles, seperators)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=736691#p736691 (total_bridges_NAR.grf)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=52035 (Marico)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... us#p884492 (wallyweb/SAC objects)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23472#p405872 (modern stations set)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=24749 (jezulkim's stations)

Lots of GRFs will still be unavailable or a different version, so you will have to have the scenario developer setting on to load the game, but it should still work I hope.

Attachments:
File comment: Very stealthy subways
NYC Subway Co., 10th Nov 2009.zip [103.83 KiB]
Downloaded 469 times
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 19:29 
Player
Player

That version of the Gherkin is, in my opinion, way too big for the OTTD scale. As there is no real scale in OTTD (I believe the most common agreement is: "just make it look good"), I've compaired it to the biggest building I have ever seen in OTTD, the old NY WTC (Which is 255 pixels high, which is the highest a building can be in OTTD). They were about 415m high, the Gherkin is 180m, so it should be about half the size of the WTC. I resized your image 50%, that also makes it fit into 1 tile. Looks like this:
Attachment:
Gherkin01.png
Gherkin01.png [ 124.39 KiB | Viewed 16028 times ]

Which looks kinda ok to me. But, the colors need some work. Some of the blue's are transparent.

Regarding the UK roads for the bridges: If you have no intention of making your project available for others to play with, you could try to just copypaste my altered graphics (only the ones with roads, the train ones are the same as the original) into the original bridge GRF and they might show up ok in the game (works for me), but this is a gamble!! Might corrupt your game so try it on a new game and make a back-up of the original bridge GRF!! If you want to make it available to others, I would recommend to replace the roads with ones with the right palette.

Regarding Underground stations: Looks good, in my game I have replaced the grass tiles with concrete ones. Looks better in an urban environment in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 19:37 
Simuscape Admin

Who made that London landmark? Also, I would probably make it fit a 2x2 scale using eye candy instead - especially as buildings like these are preferred to be built once only...

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 19:49 
Player
Player

You could indeed make it 2by2 to really make it stick out as a landmark, but still maximum hight is 255 pixels, so it has to be resized a bit. (and it might glitch at that hight)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 19:55 
Simuscape Admin

Yes, but it would still look better compared to all the 1x1 buildings... I use lots of 2x2 eye candy buildings myself at the moment, but the idea is to include most of them in the upcoming INFRA Buildings set... And they'll be coded to only appear once - if possible... :)

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 21:08 
Browser
Browser

just wacked it up on sketch up made the shape added to rings to the top and used a mates london holiday photo he sent to make some quick textures.

Couldnt believe how good it looks only took an hour. I'll sort the textures out.

London city eye candy grf ? I'll do that as I do the map, id like to make the map and all grf used available to the community.

I'll clean the building up so it can be used. And ill make the millennium dome next. Easy stuff first lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 01:20 

So quickly? And it looks so nice. It would take hours to do by hand-if possible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 15:47 
Lurker
Lurker

Are you getting any futher with the project? :)
I think it's a fantastick idea, and i can't wait until you get finished!

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]