It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:31

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 04:02 
Lurker
Lurker

Can anybody tell me an easy way to convert 3D models into sprites that can be used in OTTD?

Unfortunately, I have absolutely NO talent when it comes to drawing anything (I lean towards the coding side of things). So I looked around on the web to see if I could find any freely available graphics and I discovered the Google 3D Warehouse.

What an amazing resource! Buildings, bridges, vehicles, everything I could possibly want. Except I haven't got a clue how to get them into the correct format for OTTD.

Searching around the forums was some help, advising me to try Blender to import models into. So I downloaded a couple of models and imported them. I only got the basic model though, without any textures. I'm finding Blender extremely difficult to use, way too complicated for my sinple task.

I need simpler software. All I want to do is view a textured model, rotate it to the correct isometric angle and then save it as an image (PCX?) ready to be used in a sprite sheet.

Any ideas? I'm running Linux and would prefer to work on that but will use a Windows machine if I really have to.

I'm also wondering about how the palette will be affected. Will the colours come out right? Will I have to use 32bpp or can I stick with 8bpp?

I realize that any graphics produced in this way may not quite be in the OTTD style but I'm not too worried about that ATM. I just want something for my own games to begin with.

Pete.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 10:18 
Simuscape Admin

I can't remember exactly at this point, but if memory serves me right I believe I did a test once using models from the 3D Warehouse. I had to download Sketchup, (which is free), and I also remember I downloaded a plugin that allowed me to adjust the angle for an isometric view, (can't remember which plugin though).

It was a bit tricky to get the structure to line up properly but it did, and then saved it to desktop. But this is where the real work started as nothing was suitable for a TTDLX environment at all. Colors needed to be replaced, but the structure itself almost needed a redraw - at least from my point of view based on my own personal preferences... :P

Anyway, it is doable though. All you need is Sketchup and that particular plugin which I can't remember - and some paint work...

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 10:54 
Lurker
Lurker

Hi Sac!

I had a feeling someone would suggest Sketchup. I'll have to set up a Windows machine to use that though. This may take some time as I'll have to do some rearranging at home (I'd planned to do this anyway).

I'm sure some of the folks over at the Sketchup forums can point me in the direction of a suitable plugin for the isometric view.

Adjusting colours is going to be difficult. Repainting is out of the question as I particularly want to use some real life buildings and as you may know, some of these are photo textured. I might be able to re-colour vehicles.

I have the sad, sinking feeling that this is going to be beyond my capabilities.

Why is it never easy?

Pete.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 06:47 

Come on, give it a try! Something good will come out! As SAC stated the real issue is to make an isometric render. That is the reason I also failed miserably and abandoned 3D. But for vehicles and single tile structures it doesn't matter too much. badbrett might be willing to assist you to set a proper environment provided you are willing to do some serious work: http://www.badbrett.se/goldrush/?p=start

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 09:27 
Simuscape Admin

I did a search and found this, which I believe is the plugin I used myself for the test. Mind you that as far as I can tell you won't be able to avoid any repainting in order to adapt any structure to the TTDLX-environment...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 12:59 
Lurker
Lurker

Thank you both for your help and kind words of encouragement.

I will indeed give this a serious try, but to use Sketchup I first have to set up a second PC running Windows, and I don't even have a desk to work on ATM. I'm going to have to rearrange furniture to make room. However, this is something I've been planning for some time now so hopefully I can start experimenting soon.

I had a quick look around the Sketchup forums and found this..

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/sketchup/isometric|sort:date/sketchup/Tyne8TpNLxQ

Which was quite informative. As for rendering, I found references to a program called Kerkythea which looks like it could be useful. http://www.kerkythea.net/cms/

Here are a couple of examples of what I want to use...

The Locomotive should be easy to recolour. The building is Mornington Crescent tube station (London underground/metro). I would dearly love to have the station in my games as it is very close to my heart. I lived in Mornington Crescent for the first 24 years of my life (the street, not the station!) and grew up using that station, or waiting for a bus just outside it. You can imagine how pleased I was to find it in the 3D Warehouse.

There are many other buildings and models I'm interested in using, which sparked ideas for Houses, Stations, and object GRF's. Of course I'll have to learn how to code them all too!

Pete.

Attachments:
Mornington Crescent.png
Mornington Crescent.png [ 81.38 KiB | Viewed 7261 times ]
Coronation.png
Coronation.png [ 91.46 KiB | Viewed 7261 times ]
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 20:53 
Simuscape Admin

Any progress?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 00:23 
Lurker
Lurker

Nothing practical so far.

I've been doing a lot of reading though. Basically I've been trying to figure out which are the best tools to use for what I want to do. I've decided that Sketchup is the easiest to use for 3D Warehouse files, together with plugins for rendering and displaying the image at the correct angle. Learning to use graphics software will be the hardest part for me. The last time I used any graphics software was Deluxe Paint on the Amiga. I was making control panels for a game I had written using objects a friend had drawn. I was literally just moving boxes around the screen.

I've found that Gimp can convert the palette so I can produce a final image in the DOS palette.

I've also been reading the wiki and tutorials on NFO, and this is starting to make sense. I'm very confident that I'll be able to learn how to code.

Do bear in mind that I'm starting all of this (graphics and coding) from scratch, and I have a lot to learn, so it may be awhile before you see any results.

On a related note, I've also been looking at importing models from other games, such as Locomotion and MSTS etc, and also 2D sprites from games such as Industry Giant and (older versions of) Simcity (probably be best to start a seperate thread for importing 2D).

If anyone has any further advice and/or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!

Pete.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 13:54 
Simuscape Admin

Well, we all had our learning curves but it gets easier every time you focus on doing it... :) Still, learning both how to "draw" and to code gives you a great advantage as it's usually the case that most people learn one of those tasks, thus having to rely on someone else to complete the project - as in my own case really... :P

But I'm looking forward to any progress and hopefully we can help you out with advices and more for a successful outcome...

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]