It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:04

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: GarryG Does Stations
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 05:11 
Player
Player

Quote:
The last one 5x4 took a while to figure out why it not work .. just I change a wrong number in line 622 .. I changed the O1 in from of OE and not the OE. Didn't get any errors messages, just that the set wasn't available to use in game. 7x7, 6x7 and 7x6 was all there but not the 5x4. All fixed now.

Cool!!
Indeed, like I said, be very careful with those, as a lot of tiny things have to change and doing just one of them wrong will result in a not working GRF.

Try another random size to see if you can do other sizes than the ones from my examples, if you feel up to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 06:44 
Expert
Expert

Quast65 wrote:
Try another random size to see if you can do other sizes than the ones from my examples, if you feel up to it.

I will be doing that .. hope to make sizes suitable for actual stations such as 4x5, 2x5 and 2x4 and some stations are even smaller.

With what you provided should be able to do some nice combination Tracked and Non-Tracked sets .. Especially for some country stations 1 tile row for non-track station buildings and 1 row for the awnings and track.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 11:10 
Expert
Expert

Hi my buddy pal,

Got a problem and I can't find the answer. :cry:

Had a go making 2x5 platform set .. 2 tracks wide and 5 platforms long.

Not getting any errors in the NFO file, but it will not load it game.

I got the message "A fatal NewGRF error has occurred: Read past end of pseudo-sprite (sprite 53)"

Would you have idea why :?:

All files and sprites for this attached.

Cheers

Attachments:
NFO Lessons 2x5 Test.rar [51.94 KiB]
Downloaded 339 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 15:42 
Player
Player

GarryG wrote:
Had a go making 2x5 platform set .. 2 tracks wide and 5 platforms long.
I got the message "A fatal NewGRF error has occurred: Read past end of pseudo-sprite (sprite 53)"
Would you have idea why :?:

Yes, a couple of issues...

- The standard changes we need to make to a new station:
So to the Paths/names to graphicsfiles, Station-IDs, Purchasemenu-ID, etc. Are all done correct.

- Graphics & Action-1:

The changes in the graphics and the action-1 in the code (so the number of graphics-sprites in the first line of that code and the following lines of code containing the graphics-information) are correct.
So, job well done!

- Action-0:

The error refers to an issue in line 53, this:
53 * 534 00 04 08 01 20 08 "ASMS" 0B 02 0C FD 0D EF 11 00 14 00 15 00 09 64
You have stated that there are 64 (in hexadecimal, so 100 in decimal), build-sprites following.
But there are a lot less!!! Thats why it is trying to read further, but there is not the amount of information it was expecting, thus you get an error.

But there is more...
I will try to be a bit vague, so you can find out yourself what went wrong (as you are close to the correct way) :twisted:

Regarding those build-sprites, those should be the total amount of tiles (so for both directions) and 2 menu-sprites. Check that amount. Are there enough of those lines for a 2x5?

The changes to property 0C (setting it to FD, meaning 2) and 0D (setting it to EF, meaning 5) are ok.
Also the change to the first digits of the menu-sprites are done ok in this case (Question is, will they stay that when you check if you have enough lines...)

- In the Action-2:

* You now will have a station that is 2 platforms less long than the 7x7, have you deleted enough (or maybe too many... ) number of platforms-lines....
The change of 07 to 05 in those lines is correct
The changes in the last line of that block, so to the ID-number and the reference-number are in this case correct, but will they stay that way....

* The station is 5 tracks less wide than the 7x7, the changes made to the number of tracks-lines is correct in this case, however are there enough of those lines after checking the above.....

- In the Action-3:

The change made to the reference to the last ID-number of the Action-2 block is correct in this case, however will it stay that.....

Hope this helps, you are close!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 01:25 
Expert
Expert

Thanks pal for helping.

Will work on this a bit later after I have breaky and do my morning chores.

When I work on projects whether it NML or NFO, I have a text file with only the codes for that particular item .. in this case I have a 2x5TileCode.txt file .. I use this to make changes and when I think I got it right I then copy it over to the nfo file.

When I first got the arror and rechecked my codes I found I had forgotten to change end of this line.
53 * 534 00 04 08 01 20 08 "ASMS" 0B 02 0C FD 0D EF 11 00 14 00 15 00 09 64

So in txt file I changed it to 16.. 2x5x2+1=22-16 hex.

But I forgot to copy the info over to the nfo file. :x :cucko:

Found out changing some in one files doen't automatic change it in another :mrgreen:

I go do my chores and will come back and try again.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 03:14 
Expert
Expert

Success.

Marvellous what a hint and a good night sleep can do. More tied a person gets the more mistakes they can make and not see past the end of their nose to find those mistakes.

Action-0 and Action-2 I had also cut out to much info.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 10:55 
Master Mentor

GarryG wrote:
Google earth don't show you what is under the awnings.
If the station faces a street and Google has done a proper job then Google Maps set to street view should do the job. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 14:13 
Expert
Expert

wallyweb wrote:
If the station faces a street and Google has done a proper job then Google Maps set to street view should do the job.

Some stations I can do that and get what I need but the station exit/entrances, but not to see what the track side of the buildings look like as they hidden under awnings.

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 01:34 
Player
Player

GarryG wrote:
Success.

Nice!! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 01:42 
Expert
Expert

I like how you teach with just a hint but not fill in details .. make a person find it themselves.

Old saying "Cheats never Prosper" So if you filled in what I was missing, I would not really learn and then have same problem again next time I try.

What I been doing yesterday is making my own instruction sheets in a Word Doc.

It has all what you shown me with the Multitile stations. But I might have confused it by also adding combination tiles.

I'll practice some more with making the different size sets before I start adding platforms and stations to them.

Cheers pal

Attachments:
Lesson 22a Multi-tile stations 7x7 Fully Tracked Station.docx [43.5 KiB]
Downloaded 370 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 05:19 
Expert
Expert

:cry: Wasn't as successful as I thought it would be.

For some reason it loads the first set of 4 sprites 3 times no matter which way I do the sprite set.

If I read things correct .. 2 tracks by 5 platforms should be this sprite?

I was using the other direction in what I first sent you .. but no matter which was I do this it still loads the top left corner 4 several times as if instructions are repeating themselves somewhere.

7 x 4 across represent each track? And Each row going down represent each Platform?

Before I show you the nfo file .. point me in right direction .. so I can try try try some more.

Is this the correct BASE to start with?

Yabba dabber do .. disregard above message .. I tried all morning to try figure out why graphics loading wrong and gave up and sent you above message and decided to lay down for a while.

When my head hit the pillow it came to me what I was doing wrong. Action 2-Block didn't have enough information there.

So now all is ok :mrgreen: :oops:

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 06:35 
Master Mentor

Garry goes looking for stations ... :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 19:13 
Player
Player

@Wally :lol:

Quote:
So now all is ok :mrgreen: :oops:

Nice!

Let me know if you are ok with moving the thread to a public place.
I dont have anything more of my current knowledge to share (the cargo-aware platforms I still have to figure out myself and can be done when the thread is moved).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 20:21 
Master Mentor

Quast65 wrote:
I dont have anything more of my current knowledge to share (the cargo-aware platforms I still have to figure out myself and can be done when the thread is moved).
When you guys are ready for the move, I suggest in the Tutorial section here.

Take your time deciding as I will be busy on other stuff probably until the weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 23:40 
Expert
Expert

wallyweb wrote:
Garry goes looking for stations

Yep .. gives me a excuse to go train riding to get to the stations.

Quast65 wrote:
[

Yep that ok by me.

What you taught me I hope to visit more stations and get photos so can make some stations as realistic as possible and if possible to scale.

Main problem is where do I start. Projects to finish and some I want to start. :W

So the new tutorial page no get clog up to much with unnecessary chatter, unless its a problem I found and need help, will put the pic and things I done into my station forums here in Simuscape and over at other forum.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 13:30 
Player
Player

wallyweb wrote:
When you guys are ready for the move, I suggest in the Tutorial section here.
Take your time deciding as I will be busy on other stuff probably until the weekend.

That location is indeed the right place for it to go!
We are ready, when you are ready Wally, no rush. ;-)

And, again, many thanks for you letting us set this up over at your workshop!! :W

Quote:
So the new tutorial page no get clog up to much with unnecessary chatter, unless its a problem I found and need help, will put the pic and things I done into my station forums here in Simuscape and over at other forum.

Sounds good!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 14:15 
Expert
Expert

Do we want to continue here at times with suggestions and ideas and when I think I need Help.

Then decide if could be added to the Tutorial and copy it to there?

If ok with you can I put a story in my station forums in Simuscape and other forum mention what you been teaching me the past few months and the latest and show a pic of the 7x7 template.

Could I mention the tutorial be ready in coming weeks .. not mention where it be just yet.

Love to start on these multitile stations next, but maybe be best to finish off some outstanding ones first.

Finish the Fake signals and the Coal Loaders. Think still do both rusty roof and a roof that not rusty, but not so new.

Cheers pal, I really enjoyed these lessons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 14:25 
Player
Player

Quote:
Do we want to continue here at times with suggestions and ideas and when I think I need Help.

Yes, but that wont be here in Wally's Workshop. The entire thread will be moved (so not copied) to the public section.
Quote:
Then decide if could be added to the Tutorial and copy it to there?

See above ;-)
Quote:
If ok with you can I put a story in my station forums in Simuscape and other forum mention what you been teaching me the past few months and the latest and show a pic of the 7x7 template.

Yeah, that is fine. The more people that know about its existence, the better.
I am planning to put something up into the My-Projects thread over at the OpenTTD forum and also a link in my signature.
Be sure to mention though that Simuscape requires registration AND a post in the Welcome-Center to gain access to this!
Quote:
Could I mention the tutorial be ready in coming weeks .. not mention where it be just yet.

No, no need for that, just wait until Wally is ready (thats not going to be a couple of weeks ;-) )
Quote:
Cheers pal, I really enjoyed these lessons.

You are welcome buddy! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 16:34 
Master Mentor

@Garry - I suggest that you ask SAC to set up your own workshop in the Guild Workshops section so that you have a private place to develop stuff quietly. You could call it "GarryG's Secret Lab" or whatever you want. Then I should be able to copy the "GarryG Does Stations" topic from my workshop over to yours. You will also need to tell SAC who should have access to your workshop (Me? Quast65?).

@Quast65 - The tutorial will be locked so that it won't get cluttered with a lot of nonsense. You can set up a companion discussion topic under "The Academy" => "Class Discussions".

@The two of you - I noticed over in his open topic that Garry has several GRFs for his stations. Nothing wrong with that, but I have to ask why not just one big fat station GRF? Are there more than 255 IDs being used?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 18:01 
Player
Player

wallyweb wrote:
@Quast65 - The tutorial will be locked so that it won't get cluttered with a lot of nonsense. You can set up a companion discussion topic under "The Academy" => "Class Discussions".

Yeah, thats fine!
If I come up with new things (like the cargo-aware tiles I am going to work on) but from now on somewhere in a public section, they can always be moved to their own thread in the Tutorial-section (and have their separate discussion thread).
Quote:
I noticed over in his open topic that Garry has several GRFs for his stations. Nothing wrong with that, but I have to ask why not just one big fat station GRF? Are there more than 255 IDs being used?

;-) Yes!
Garry has at least 5 or 6 different platformtypes (ranging from industrial, rural, to various urban styles) and that adds up fast when you give them various extra eyecandy...
For example, The Dutch set only has one platformstyle, so if I give a platform extra eyecandy, like a bench, then that only takes up one extra ID. If Garry gives all his platforms a bench, it takes up 6 IDs...
Modular stations in combination with various platformstyles, really adds up in using IDs... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 23   [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next