It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:17

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 20:33 
Simuscape Admin

SimuSchool have some nice info/tutorials on TTDX, most recent is the excellent Patching/Compiling OTTD Tutorial by Quast65. However I'm a little confused by the design of the forum. The tutorials are placed in the subforum Tutorials, nothing strange there - but if you have any comments, questions etc. regarding the tutorial you'll have to go to another subforum, Class Discussions. In a way I can see why the tutorial-thread is locked to make it clean and left from "useless" posts - however it feels confusing, at least for me, that I must go somewhere else to discuss the topic.

Punish me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be better to be able to discuss the topic/tutorial in the thread in which it's posted?

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 21:22 
Simuscape Admin

You have a point there of course, but as Wally is the Master Mentor I'll leave it up to him to respond to this... :)

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 21:38 
Simuscape Admin

No problem, we'll just wait and see if he agrees or if he will punish me... :roll:

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 22:03 
Player
Player

SlemFreak wrote:
... wouldn't it be better to be able to discuss the topic/tutorial in the thread in which it's posted?
This does make sense ... how about posting the lot (initially) in the 'Class Discussion' sub-forum; then copy the important parts to the 'Tutorial' sub-forum for future reference ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 22:14 
Simuscape Admin

...or perhaps even allow discussions also in tutorials topics? I have a vague memory that we discussed this initially and decided we wanted to keep the tutorials clean, but since they're in the first post of the topic - or at least should be - I see no problems allowing for discussions there...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 07:19 
Master Mentor

Hello all,

Stirred the pot a bit have I? ;) It would seem that I have broken from the anticipated structure of a typical forum. SAC is correct when she said "clean". Another description would be "organized". Hence the overall structure:
- Administration with two sections: Headmaster for announcements and Registrar for questions, suggestions and discussions concerning the school and it's structure, which probably would have been the appropriate forum for this very thread that we are currently participating in. (Perhaps SAC could move it when she has a moment ;) )
- Library with four sections including Tutorials, the subject of our discussion. The intent of the Library was to provide a point-form, easily browsed section for quick sourcing of information, hence the locking to avoid random posts from popping up, with the exception of The Counter which was left open for those wanting to suggest topics to include in the Library.
- Academy is a wide open section for general discussions concerning how to do something in the realm of creating "that perfect GRF".

In retrospect, it would seem that discussions regarding a particular tutorial would indeed be better placed within a topic headed by that specific tutorial. Consequently I have unlocked Quast65's tutorial and removed the link to the Academy. :mrgreen:

Thank you SlemFreak for raising this issue and to everyone else for your observations. Hopefully this will be a good solution. Let's see how it goes. :)

:W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 08:16 
Simuscape Admin

...and moved it is... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 08:56 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
...and moved it is... :P
:W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 17:34 
Simuscape Admin

wallyweb wrote:
Thank you SlemFreak for raising this issue and to everyone else for your observations. Hopefully this will be a good solution. Let's see how it goes.
Hey no problem, I just post my thoughts and if anyone agrees and it makes this forum even better - well, that's good for all of us! :)

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 18:35 
Master Mentor

SlemFreak wrote:
Hey no problem, I just post my thoughts and if anyone agrees and it makes this forum even better - well, that's good for all of us! :)
Agreed ... Now all we have to do is convince SAC to install a cafeteria and a couple of billiard tables in the O/T section. :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]