It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:11

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 20:47 
Simuscape Admin

Graphics Artists Wanted

INFRA Buildings is a completely new custom graphics set for TTDP/OTTD, introducing new town buildings ranging from small homes to large skyscrapers. While most of the graphics are done, the set still requires building stages along with snow versions, something I really dislike drawing... :P

The INFRA Buildings set will not however be coded until these additional graphics are completed, and I'm therefor looking for someone with good graphics skills to complete those missing sprites in order to prepare for an official release. If you have the skills and believe this is something you'd like to put your soul into, please reply to this post...

/SAC

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 01:05 
Lurker
Lurker

My limited experience does stretch to doing (up to 5) snow transitions. I could help, after my exams, if you so wish?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 01:09 
Simuscape Admin

Any help is of course appreciated! But exams comes first. And besides, if people have been waiting a couple of years for this, I presume a couple of months won't make much difference... :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 23:34 
Artists Guild Team

I will help, throw me something small and ill crank out some results to see if you wish to use me.

Edit: after decoding the Canada Project (as a test to refresh myself) I see all that work has been done with the windows palette. Will this be true for these files as well? Also, how many construction steps you want, 4? I will assume there will not be animated construction.

Edit 2: What's the extent of snow you'd like to see in city regions. I.e: Sidewalks, trees, bushes?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 02:30 
Artists Guild Team

Just because I got bored waiting for a response, please hope you do not take offense, but I figured it would be a fine example of what I am capable of.
Attachment:
infra station.jpg
infra station.jpg [ 126.75 KiB | Viewed 8263 times ]

Just Curious, is the green line I added the intended roof valley angle?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 03:59 

Nice work there! BTW are you also active in tt-forums?
Better use the DOS palette as it is the recommended one by the developers and has a couple more colors that the windows one.
IMO pavements should be less covered with snow.

SAC I think it is time to start releasing some more of your works-at least for beta testing. ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 05:18 
Artists Guild Team

No I am not on tt-forum but I probably should be. I found this place looking for the old NA city replacement, having appreciated it in the past and I was feeling like using a new texture pack. I mostly work on NewGRF's as a hobby but after finding this site, and being really intrigued by some of the snippets of new city art I became rather intrigued by this site. I would love to see the Infra building set and if I need to pitch in my skills to get it closer to a release I am more than happy to do so.

Used to do allot of pixel art buildings back in the SimCity 2000 days, and various other javascript RP games. I have all the toys including AutoDesk and Lightwave configured for isometric rendering. Though on these projects I most likely would just use PSP and paint pixel for pixel.

The station is just a image posted by SAC on the showcase thread, therefore obviously I cant decompile the sprite and work on the buildings without the trees and whatnot in the way. This would be ideal so I can change the seasons (leaves on trees) and make the people look not so warm and cozy.

Hopefully SAC has faith and gets me some sprite files :D

Thanks for the compliment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 09:37 
Simuscape Admin

Quote:
Just Curious, is the green line I added the intended roof valley angle

Nope, it's not! It's a separate building... :)

However, you mentioned SimCity 2000 and that got me curious as I was part of that community as well... :P In fact, for me that's where it all started!

Anyway, been a bit busy lately due to real life issues, but if you are up to the challenge of adding snow coverage to my buildings, and/or construction stages I'd be very interested of course... :W

...and most other TTDLX-players would probably be even more grateful...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 03:09 

Quote:
I have all the toys including AutoDesk and Lightwave configured for isometric rendering.
That is very interesting. Can you provide some more info? It will be very useful as practically you cannot use pixel art for 4x zoom sprites.

Is isometric accurate, aka 2-1? I ask because often isometric settings in various programs fail every few pixels and as a result it is impossible to draw multitiled structures (eg. industries)-parts will misalign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 13:10 
Artists Guild Team

athanasios wrote:
That is very interesting. Can you provide some more info? It will be very useful as practically you cannot use pixel art for 4x zoom sprites.

Is isometric accurate, aka 2-1? I ask because often isometric settings in various programs fail every few pixels and as a result it is impossible to draw multitiled structures (eg. industries)-parts will misalign.
Its an telecentric lens, therefore it applies 0 perspective. Then you rotate the object 45 degrees on the y axis and you want a downward camera pitch of exactly 30 degrees. I just rendered this plain box and I manipulated the camera till I got the render space of 64x31 pixels (the base grid on TTD far as I know). Just for reference the technical terms for this style of rendering is orthographic projection, provided by a telecentric lens. I usually use cellshader rendering with it to give it a more artistic feel. Of course applying a pallette to the produced png would take care of that anyways.
Attachment:
democube.jpg
democube.jpg [ 2.64 KiB | Viewed 8235 times ]
But yes, the results are perfect isometric 2-1 pixel ratios. If your creating something that tiles than you need to fiddle with the distance of the rendering camera until you get the pixel width your looking for, assuming you don't want to distort the results by resizing in photoshop or whatnot.

Oddly enough I wrote a tutorial on isometric rendering many years ago, and its still available here http://www.worldbynight.net/chit/test/a/dev/content/index.cgi?page=dev. Though on the tutorial I say "-26.565 degrees", and its 5 years old so the page is essentially just historical.

Edit: Just spent a bit of time working on setting up a layout that will render tall objects for TTD, its quite a balancing act to get the pixels to render just the right width and height but it's doable. Here's a quick example, changed the colors for quick replacement/transparency. Its just a random toroid which is larger than the base, so it may look funny.
Attachment:
demorend.png
demorend.png [ 955 Bytes | Viewed 8234 times ]

SAC wrote:
Nope, it's not! It's a separate building...
That was my first thought but the texture is identical to the wall texture so I thought I would ask, obviously making a vertical surface with snow would be silly.

For me pixel art started with windows 3.1.1 on a Compaq (first owned computer with mspaint). Parents bought it when I was 9 or so and I would create all sorts of stuff. SimCity 2000 was my first isometric work however. Though it has been so long I hardly remember much of it, mostly just hours or repainting structures.

Anyways, I would be more than happy to help. Just point me in the direction of some files to work on and I'll get right on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 18:12 
Simuscape Admin

Quote:
Anyways, I would be more than happy to help. Just point me in the direction of some files to work on and I'll get right on it.

I've sent you a pm God! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 01:46 

God:

I hope you wouldn't mind to contact wallyweb and add that info in our Simucademy subforum. It will prove valuable for future artists.

[And I really like the stuff in your webpage. BTW that 'Great Isometric Art Example' could inspire a new climate for OTTD. So far only Bad_Brett has done 32bpp professional artwork like that.]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 04:31 
Artists Guild Team

athanasios wrote:
God:

I hope you wouldn't mind to contact wallyweb and add that info in our Simucademy subforum. It will prove valuable for future artists.

[And I really like the stuff in your webpage. BTW that 'Great Isometric Art Example' could inspire a new climate for OTTD. So far only Bad_Brett has done 32bpp professional artwork like that.]

Yeah sure, no problem. Currently I'm digging through the trenches of getting 32bpp NewGRF Compiler working and I think I will write up a tutorial on this too, because frankly, its given me a few headaches with the python runtime libraries and nmlc.exe.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]