It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:24

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 09:52 
Simuscape Admin

Unfortunately we've been reached by the news that OzTrans has left the TTDLX-community - again. And again it's a result of some arguings and debates in the usual order over at TT-forums. It's no secret that OzTrans is a bit tricky to deal with at times, but despite this he has always been very helpful towards other community members trying to learn more about TTDLX, and especially in terms of coding. His huge amount of work with the Canadian sets has been his signature and it's a sad loss for the entire TTDLX-community indeed. It seems as if OzTrans departure this time is related to arguings about his decision to claim some ID's for his work with the Canadian sets. We can't help wonder if this could have been solved without any arguings in the end, especially seeing as this is a rather small community these days, and it's not like there's a huge amount of new graphics being released on a regular basis...

It's a bit ironical though that a site that once used to be the engine to bring an old game into life thanks to Joseph Drexlers work on the patch, is also the same site that in the end is going to effectively kill it all... :(

Sad indeed...

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 03:49 

Sad story. Wally can you come to the rescue? 'Canada' shouldn't eve such a fate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 12:55 
Master Mentor

Unfortunately there is not much that I can do. I am in full agreement with OzTrans' decision.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 06:46 

Can't you persuade him to continue here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 10:43 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:

I don't think he can, or at least not with the aim of a public release of the grfs. By mistake, I've released Iron Horse (to bananas) with a grfid beginning "CA". This breaks Canadian sets forever because they depend on no other grfs ever being released with grfids beginning "CA".

I had promised to change the Iron Horse grfid before release and I forgot to. I work long hours and make grfs late at night when I should be sleeping, and I simply didn't remember to change it. There's no 'undo' for this, and for the way Canadian grfs are implemented, there's no workaround. Sorry for causing the loss of all these grfs. I'm also sorry to the other major contributors to Canadian grfs like DanMacK, lifeblood and Wallyweb.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 12:23 
Master Mentor

athanasios wrote:
Unfortunately not.
But I do have a question ...
Does anybody have a spare system fan for an HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 01:09 
Simuscape Admin

Excuses or not, fact remains - another talented and valued member has decided to leave our TTDLX community! And although some of them have different reasons for their decisions, an unfortunate and too frequent common denominator is the bullying group that more or less controls TT-forums these days - and have done so for a long time. And what to say really?

Although the actual bullying at all times isn't visible on the surface as a result of the occasional moderator at TT-forums "trying" to enforce a halt to the situation, it's still most prevalent. And if this group of bullies are unable to enforce their agenda on TT-forums, they do it even more on other channels, some of them open to the public while others are "secret hide outs" and closed to a wider audience. A group of bullies led primarily by a few individuals, of which the worst are made up of, for example, V453000, petern aka peter1138, Eddi|Zuhause, NGC3982, frosch123 and Supercheese - along with a number of failed and sad excuses of accomplises who rather then risking of losing their fellowship with them, has chosen to go in ligament and silently accepts the whole situation. And the result is well known by now with a growing number of talented and valued members leaving the community altogether, leaving large gaps both in terms of contributions to the community as well as being descent human beings to begin with. All due to this quite small group of evil rats that no one wants to offend... Too sad really...

One big problem - as in real life - is that bullies never want to admit their abuse but feel that they are right and that everyone else is wrong. And if never dealt with, these individuals can continue without any consequences at all. It's of course even worse that the one ultimately and directly responsible for TT-forums, Owen Rudge as being its admin, has shown very little or no interest to put an absolute end to this horrific development, allowing for this group of evil rats to continue to force both active and passive members away from our community! Year after year after year...

Needless to say some of us had valid reasons for leaving TT-forums and instead create and develop our own site, Simuscape. The only regret would be that we didn't do it earlier, as even more talented and appreciated members could have been with us today. As some of you may have heard from time to time, the little group of bullies with their self proclamed leaders continues to spit out their charges against Simuscape at every opportunity given, feeding a belief that Simuscape was created by a group of people for their own mutual admiration - and on top of that surrounded by a large protected wall requiring a "key" to get inside! Well, in a way they are correct! We did leave TT-forums due to it's destructive development, and we did make sure we could keep TT-forums group of evil rats away from our site - and we did a good job! Still, despite this some of those rats are members here at Simuscape, but as they also lack their back bones they are of course using other usernames to avoid detection. But that's not really a problem, what they have at TT-forums they don't have at Simuscape, namely their freedom to continue their agenda!

Personally as an artist I have no plans to quit or leave this community! On the contrary, I have received a strong new interest in TTDLX after an absence due to real life activities. And I have several projects going on including a new train set that will shortly be released. But like some other projects that are being completed, they will - with the current situation in mind - not be distributed to a wider audience, but only be made available for particularly active Simuscape members and a few others outside. I have no interest, nor the need to convey some of my work to the rest - at least not for the time being! And just as with the loss of all Canadian graphics for TTDLX as a result of OzTrans departure, you can thank this group of bullies at TT-forums as being a 100% responsible. Again! And again!

Isn't it ironical that TT-forums that once became the main engine to bring new life into TTDLX by encouraging enthusiasts to start developing and contributing, in the end turns out to be the site that also kills it all?

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 06:02 

andythenorth wrote:
I had promised to change the Iron Horse grfid before release and I forgot to. I work long hours and make grfs late at night when I should be sleeping, and I simply didn't remember to change it.
Your tireless contribution to OTTD is well known and respected. So don't forget to change it with the next release.

Now I could easily start adding names to the list, but I will refrain from. As I already poted on the other thread we should cut it here.

because if not

Wally I fear that then the s*** will start hitting your new fan and then as Pythia prophesied: ο σώζων εαυτόν σωθήτω! ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 06:14 
Master Mentor

Can't be any worse than the cr*p I found in it when I dismantled the laptop today.
@Andy ... I think I found some of those engineering supplies that the players seem not to be able to get enough of. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 08:29 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:
So don't forget to change it with the next release.

Would be the wrong thing to do.

It won't make any difference to the problem for Canadian grfs, because there are now thousands of Iron Horse grfs out there with this ID, and the old versions will always be available on bananas.

I should have changed it before the release.

@wally - nuts and bolts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 11:36 
Master Mentor

andythenorth wrote:
@wally - nuts and bolts?
.. and tools and finger tips and the pastrami sandwich the mouse made off with last Christmas. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 04:52 

andythenorth wrote:
Would be the wrong thing to do. ...

For a man of honor it would be the right thing to do. It may be painful though. But since you are an 'over' active grf creator (at times I wonder if you and voyager are real humans or sprite spitting machines :lol: ) those grfs will soon be outdated and practically not used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 08:22 
Lurker
Lurker

Nah, pain wouldn't be mine, changing grfid is change of 4 characters or so in code, and making a grf release is trivial. Even breaking savegames due to change of id isn't too bad, savegames get broken anyway by some releases.

But then we have duplicate Iron Horse grfs on bananas forever more, which is confusing to players. So for sake of 'honour' I push confusion onto game players? Not worth it. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 07:39 

Why duplicate? What do you mean? It can be a new enhanced version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 13:20 
Master Mentor

Knowing Andy's sense of humour which has more warp than an Enterprising warp drive, his "new and improved" version might have good features removed and BAD FEATURES added ... or at least promoted as such while the opposite is true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 21:17 
Lurker
Lurker

Changing the grfid would cause bananas to have two entries for Iron Horse, which would be confusing to players, no? :)

And it would leave the problem unsolved for Canadian grfs...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 03:50 

No need to worry about it: Yet another BAD FEATURE! :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 14:45 
Artists Guild

Couldnt you simply "update" the GRF to implement no graphics but merely carry that ID, change the name of the file to DO NOT USE or something similar, as only the GRFID must remain the same on Bananas afaik. Then noone will ever download the broken file.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 14:46 
Artists Guild

Oh by the way, suprise. Im still watching all of you even if you dont see me much ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 17:11 
Master Mentor

Leanden wrote:
Oh by the way, suprise. Im still watching all of you even if you dont see me much ;)

/me puts on his dark glasses and goes incognito. 8-)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next