It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:27

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014, 21:42 
Simuscape Admin

Oh yes, good to see you again Leanden! :)

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 11:01 
Lurker
Lurker

Leanden wrote:
Couldnt you simply "update" the GRF to implement no graphics but merely carry that ID, change the name of the file to DO NOT USE or something similar, as only the GRFID must remain the same on Bananas afaik. Then noone will ever download the broken file.

Nah, doesn't help. The grf is already out there, a little over 20k downloads of it. That game-overs all Canadian grfs because it sits in the CA range. Sorry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 12:23 
Simuscape Admin

Some discussions seems to be brought to life ever so often, the dispute about OzTrans departure from the community and the redrawal of his files from BaNaNaS, for instance...

A rescent post over at TT-forums suggesting that ignoring an artists copyrights, in this particular case OzTrans, was the right way to go, again caused some minor drama to occur. And a moment ago I was notified by a member about some comments made over at the IRC-channel;

»» 10:07:54 <@peter1138> lol drama
»» 10:12:18 < V453000> nice
»» 10:13:39 <@planetmaker> I closed the drama
»» 10:13:57 <@planetmaker> show is over. Nothing to see. You can walk on, please ;)
»» 10:13:58 < V453000> I love to see how people think the newgrfs are made for them and are their property
»» 10:14:00 < V453000> it is just awesome
»» 10:14:08 <@planetmaker> yeah
»» 10:14:13 <@planetmaker> ridiculous really
»» 10:17:26 < andythenorth> bridge burned
»» 10:19:40 < andythenorth> wasn’t even good drama :(
»» 10:22:06 < V453000> simuscape drama =D

It should be noted - in case someone against all odds should believe or think otherwise - that this has - again - nothing to do with Simuscape. V453000, awhile ago permanently banned from Simuscape, has some serious problems when it comes to facts - even if it's served right in front of him. But on a more ironical level it's quite funny to note his comment; I love to see how people think the newgrfs are made for them and are their property, seeing as neglectance of other artists copyrights hasn't bothered him before - which is why he was banned in the first place prior to a complaint made to one of his hosts...

:roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 10:14 
Browser
Browser

I'm going to chime in, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect towards anybody, but it needs said. OzTrans is a great guy, a talented artist and programmer. He can be a jerk, too. I have no problems with him, I have no problems with him deciding to end his work. His reason for doing so, though, is petty.

Sure it's doubtful that we create so many NewGRFs that we have to start dipping into ID's that start with "CA", and I know that developers were working on a "gentleman's agreement". But the truth is that nobody is actually beholden to that "agreement", nobody is required to work within TT-F, Simuscape, or any other community to release NewGRFs, to check in with other developers to see what IDs are being used. All it takes is one person who wants to develop for OpenTTD but doesn't use TT-F (say they use the Reddit or Steam communities) to create one GRFID that starts with "CA" and that whole system is permanently broken.

Is OzTrans going to start railing against them as well? How many people is he willing to go to war against in order to preserve a block of ID numbers that, other than developers, nobody sees or cares about? I know his feelings are hurt. The only solution to this issue that satisfies him, though, is for Andy, Planetmaker, and ever other developer to capitulate to him now and forever.

As it is now, due to Andythenorth's unintentional release of his GRFID, that system is now broken. We can keep crying about how it's not fair, or we can just leave things where they are and move foreward. It's not as if we can't work around the way things are now. If one person has chosen not to move foreward, that's fine, that's their choice. It doesn't have to be anybody else's choice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 22:07 
Simuscape Admin

Well, it's a messy situation, that's for sure...

But on the other hand, what hasn't been messy when it comes to the TTDLX-community... :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 05:23 

There is the wiki and whoever wants to contribute to the community should follow the rules that should be stated there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 09:28 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:
There is the wiki and whoever wants to contribute to the community should follow the rules that should be stated there.

Oh it's a wiki? I'll just change the rules in that case. No problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 06:23 

:shock:
Me too!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 11:28 
Lurker
Lurker

Also 'All Things Canadian' is still on the Simuscape front page. But eh. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 12:15 
Simuscape Admin

andythenorth wrote:
Also 'All Things Canadian' is still on the Simuscape front page. But eh.

True! There are some other stuff that needs to be updated as well, but I'll attend those during the holidays... :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2