It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:35

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Present yourself...
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 11:23 
Simuscape Admin

Hi everyone, I'm SAC and I've been a graphics artist for many many years now, creating and developing my own custom stuff for various games out there. And currently - and for the last few years - my focus is set on TTDLX.

And why? Well, it's a simple game that from a visual aspect requires very little efforts in bringing new results, enhancing the game-play experience. I never found the time to learn 3DS-Max or similar, so for that reason I haven't made any stuff for 3D-games. But who knows what the future holds... :P

Simuscape isn't my first site. It started many years ago with another site, but due to some changes enforced by my ISP, I had to close it down. Several years later I opened up a pre-version of Simuscape called TT-Artist. It didn't have a forum and was mainly a way to gather all my resources as far as my work for TTDLX concerned. And last year or so, I purchased the domains http://www.simuscape.com along with http://www.simuscape.net and http://www.simuscape.se - all of them pointing to http://www.simuscape.net.

It was supposed to be http://www.simuscape.com at first, but during my work with building up the new Simuscape site, I used OCPortals great website system - and unfortunately some sort of spam entered a code inside my files, re-directing people to some advertising site. Nothing harmful in the end, but I figured; better be safe then sorry, and decided to scrap OCPortal and use phpBB3 for my site instead. And since I already had http://www.simuscape.net in my possession, I put it all there... :)

Still, OCPortal is a good choice anyhow, and I can highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great website solution - and it's all free... :W

I have some future plans for Simuscape, but I won't spill any beans yet... It'll come to you eventually. :P

As for me personally, well, I am single now since my long life better half partner passed away from cancer in late 2009, but thanks to my family - and TTDLX :P - I'm slowly creating a new life for myself. And rest assure that our loved ones doesn't vanish for good, just because they aren't using their formal "body suit" anymore, (in this particular life that is), and we may not be able to see them... They are still around, looking after us and awaits our own departure so we can all meet up again back in our true "home"... :)

Well, that's about it I guess...

Oh yes, I just opened up this Off-Topic area. Thought it might come in handy... :W

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Present yourself...
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 12:51 
Lurker
Lurker

Hi, I'm Yoshi and I'm graphic artist for around one and a half year now. I create stuff for newGRFs... mostly trains.
I'm the creator of DACH-Set and I did some little Mini-GRFs in german forums...And I help in some other GRF-projects like OpenGFX+ Trains, Dutch Track Set and some more.

I started with TTO 8 years ago and now I'm playing OpenTTD.

I'm active at Simuscape, tt-forums and TT-MS, the german forum, where I'm a moderator...

I'm 15 years old now, german, and I'm going to school :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 12:55 
Simuscape Admin

Oh, you're only 15? :W I figured you were older... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 13:00 
Lurker
Lurker

No I'm not older :)

So I hope it doesn't matter if my english isn't the best ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 13:02 
Simuscape Admin

Your English is just perfect! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 13:56 
Master Mentor

Hi ... I am Wally (aka wallyweb) and I AM CANADIAN (you tube) :mrgreen:
I speak English, français and joual.
I am an old goat who has been around TTO, TTDX and TTDPatch for a while and more recently I have tried a bit of OTTD.
I do a bit of TTD graphics and I code newobjects.
I like to create scenarios.
My other passion is my vintage, classic, 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT.
Attachment:
0011.png
0011.png [ 20.42 KiB | Viewed 10559 times ]

Last edited by wallyweb on 12 Apr 2012, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 17:49 
Simuscape Admin

That car is pretty nice... :mrgreen:

But joual? :shock: What's that?

//Edit to add to myself;

Please read properly, and click links when provided... :cucko: :x

:P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 18:34 
Browser
Browser

well for those who dont know me:

just name me bio or biohazard or whatever you feel.

im 23 years old, from the netherlands, picked this nickname for all my internet activities when i was 8-10 years old and started playing starkingdoms.
OTTD has been a game i played as original TTD and maybe even TTDP (my friend back in the time was a nerd who actualy had TTDP and got me the FISH-hacky version of the game)
in real life im a student civil engineering, and in the offtime i play some games like COD-BlackOps, WordOfWarcraft, OTTD, DiabloIII (when its out)

if you want to know more, then you just ahve to ask.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 18:43 
Player
Player

Hi all!!

I'm Quast65, live in the Netherlands.

I've been playing TT for a long time, about since it was introduced (so yep, I'm an old fart too) and just recently stumbled upon it again and realised how timeless this game is. Especially when I discovered that there are loads of people still developing stuff for it. Which made me also interested in developing and publishing my own stuff.
This game just brings me back to when I was little kid, playing with my LIMA-trainset on the attic. Always wanting more stuff (either moving or eyecandy), but not being able to (lack of money and space). This game fulfills all my young boy's wishes :mrgreen:

In real life I work as a stagemanager at a musicvenue and also do some DJ-ing on the side. So mostly work at weekends, which leaves me with plenty of free time during the week for TT ;-)

And my baby is my 1991 BMW 318ci convertible (see my avatar)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 01:10 

Hi to all. I am athanasios from Greece. Playing TTD and OTTD 'from centuries' and artist of some OpenGFX sprites-especially Toyland town buildings.
Currently little George is where I invest most of my time, so I temporary stopped doing artwork.
Added to that the bankruptcy of Greece that makes us try hard to make ends meet. And the worse is ahead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 04:59 
Player
Player

Hi all,

I am OzTrans, sometimes mistaken for Oz, but I am the other one. I've been on the tt-forum since 2005, but have now relocated to Simuscape.

Well, it started back in 1997 in front of a bargain bin, from where I picked TTDLX for a lousy 10 bucks. After a few games, the CD vanished in the bottom drawer as the game lacked sophistication (in my ignorant opinion), I couldn't run rail networks properly; signalling problems, trains got lost all the time etc.

A few years later, I searched the net to see whether this game got an update. It was then, when I came across the Patch and MBs trains. I gave this a try and loved it ever since. If I ever could make those GRFs myself was always on my mind. In 2005 I joined tt-forum and applied for an 'advertised' job at the Australian Trains set. They knocked me back; they didn't want any novices.

Later on, I applied again for a job with the Norwegians to code the Norwegian Trains set. That was where I learned the ropes of NFO coding. After my apprenticeship in Norway, the Canadians were looking for a coder and I'm still here coding, although very much has changed since the early days. The team has crumbled to nothing, lifeblood and Oz have found better pastures and DanMacK lost focus on the task at hand. The latter being the reason why I left the team (if there ever was one) late last year and not George and/or andythenorth as rumours suggest. Today, I am a 'one-man band' continuing working on the Canadian Theme Pack …

You'll most certainly hear a lot more about it at Simuscape. My workshop is currently under construction … then I will be back at work … so stick around ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 11:38 
Artists Guild

Hi all,

I'm Leanden, i'm 22, married, have one son and live in the UK. I am the project leader for britrains (which currently has a team totalling to 1 graphic artist & 1 coder).

My ttd journey started when I first played Transport Tycoon on the Amiga and then later TTD on the PC, in fact TTO was my first venture into computer gaming and really is the foundation on which my love of computers has been built. Now, more than 15 years later, I find myself using OpenTTD to recreate a simulation of the UK Transport Networks, supplementing the game with my own realistic graphics, including the only Rail set to use real life liveries at full scale with extra turning sprites (at the time of writing this).

I am very patient and dedicated to my projects, even if they take a bit longer to complete. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 08:30 
Browser
Browser

I'm kamnet (Kevin), I'm 35, I have a wife and three of the brightest children you have ever met. I currently work entirely too much and love every minute of it. I used to build websites and shoot photography/video for professional wrestlers, even some famous ones. These days I'm the master producer for the AngryMarks Podcast Network, cranking out live podcasts for pro wrestling & mixed martial arts 5-7 days a week.

So, that leaves me very little time to play OpenTTD these days. I originally started playing TTD when I found it on an "abandonware" site in the early 2000s. Didn't understand it, but I remembered it a few years later when I was looking for something more than SimCity 2000, and that's when I found TTDP. That kept me entertained while I was at work, until I got fired for opening up a proxy server on the network so some of us could enjoy the Internet. Forgot about it again until 2008 or 2009 when I went searching for it to download again and discovered OpenTTD. Enjoyed watching the progression in the 0.6.x and 0.7.x series, then the jump to 1.0.0.

I came across a unique opportunity to be part of OpenTTD's history when I noticed that while many were focusing on creating a free and open source replacement for the TTD graphics and sounds, nobody gave a second thought to the music. I founded the OpenTTD Music Replacement Project, which eventually spawned the OpenMSX base music set. So, I'm partly to blame if you don't like that crap music and miss the old TTD jazz. I then went beyond that and released the Scott Joplin Anthology base music set (actually, I started creating that before OpenMSX). Currently waiting in the wings is a music set for Christmas/winter holiday music.

Eventually I got dragged into making sprites and releasing NewGRFs, although to be honest I'm quite crap at it. I think I've only written FIVE lines of original code, the rest of it I've recycled from somebody else's work who graciously allowed me to do so. What I think I excel at, though, is inspiring others to do great things that I cannot (or don't have time to), so I'll often litter the tt-forums graphics dev thread with bits of cool things I think would add value to the game. Sofar I've inspired one person to create some emergency vehicles that drive around the city and make a bunch of noise, I inspired somebody to create Dutch-style dams. I took the lorry and bus bays and shed them of their scenery so they looked bare, I made a rock that replaces the transmitter, I've adapted somebody's train sheds to make a matching depot. And I took a bunch of old graphics replacements and turned them into NewGRFs so they could be enjoyed by new people.

I've got more I'll eventually do. There's all kinds of new eyecandy that needs to be created. So, I've rambled on too much now, I better get back to work. ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 19:07 
Artists Guild Team

Time to post something on my own here, and what could be more interesting than a project list, hehe?

So, here are my current projects (in no particular order):

- DBXL
version 0.9 is the long overdue release of its predecessor DBXL v0.82, with all new graphics and some very sophisticated features, built into the well-known DB set concept, both usable in TTDPatch and OTTD.

- MariCo
this project has advanced very much on my todo list during the last couple of months. The "Maritime Collection" will not only feature the usual maritime objects like lighthouses, beacons and lightships, moles and natural maritime objects (rocks, reeefs, bars, beaches, ...), but will also implement the full range of harbour infrastructure (quays, sheds, storage tanks, loading appliances, ...) all smoothly integrated into the NewStations upcoming freight stations. This is a very ambitious project, both graphics- and code-wise. It´ll be released bit by bit in larger chunks, rather than as a complete set when finished.

- NewStations
version 0.5 has been already under development since 2 years, and again it´ll maintain the proven concept of its predecessor, only extended by a bunch of new features (building on slopes, animations, ...) with more buildings for passenger stations and a whole new line of station tiles for freight traffic.

- NewShips
again, a successor of an established newGRF. Version 0.48 offers full support for ECS and FIRS cargoes, including a full range of cargo sprites for those set´s custom cargoes. Version 0.5 will be a novel ship set representing the full scale of yesterday´s and today´s shipping with all new graphics. The former has already been released as a test version. The latter one will only be usable by OTTD due to the strong limitation of ship models (11 types) in TTDPatch.

- Rivers
this newGRF, already in existence, still has to be extended with sprites for the sub-arctic and sub-tropical landscapes.

- Track sets for OTTD´s railtype feature
OTTD´s "rail type" feature has already bred a lot of new rail type sets, either stand-alone or included into rail vehicle sets. There had already been work on a "DBrails" set for the DB set [1] and a French NG set together with Snail. After some work on generalisation of rail type labels, further development is under way on a general scheme defining a common graphic layout for four general rail types (broad gauge, standard gauge, narrow gauge (wide), narrow-gauge (narrow)), shareable by rail and rail vehicle sets. This is a joint work together with Snail from the French Set and Dandan from the Japan Set.

- m4nfo
this is a high-level frontend [2] producing nfo-code for the diverse TTDPatch/OTTD features (vehicles, houses, stations, ...). Unlike OTTD´s epigone, m4nfo abstains from the usual pitfalls for high-level compilers, offering very fast translation into nfo code, a modularised approach and a very lightweight implementation, which makes it especially suited for large projects. All of my sets (DBXL, MariCo, NewStations, ...) and a few from third parties (French NG set, German RV set) have already been written in m4nfo. What has to be done is its extension to the "industries" feature and to enhance and extend its documentation.

- EuroScene
this is the current code name for the development of a house set applicable to European scenarios. After an ambitious start some years ago with lots of new buildings being drawn, recent development is very scarce, unfortunately.

- AlpineSet
this is a new joint train vehicle set project [3] together with Snail. It´ll comprise a detailed implementation of Austrian, German, French, Italian, and Swiss train vehicles from 1860 until 2020. Hopefully, this will be the very first set offering a notable number of Austrian and Italian train vehicles. In addition, it´ll give me the opportunity to include some German train vehicles which didn´t find their way into the DBXL from various reasons.

- ECS vectors (by mb)
this is another implementation of the ECS cargo scheme. It´ll be compatible to George´s implementation on a per vector base, but will provide a slightly less "restricted" implementation of industries with all new graphics.

So much for now. No timeline or progress charts given. 8-)

[1] http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/attachment.php?aid=3677 (picture)
[2] http://www.ttdpatch.de/grfspecs/m4nfoManual/
[3] http://www.ttdpatch.de/grfspecs/m4nfoMa ... icles.html

regards
Michael

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 09:17 
Artists Guild Team

Wut I been doin':
- Britrains (mentioned by Leanden). Invented the name, adapted the code and produced the tracking table.
- CETS. This was the source of Britrains' code and does the same thing, only for German/Central European trains (but clearly distinct from the DB set). Uses a Python script to directly transform the downloaded tracking table into NML code, and then to NFO and GRF; this "engine" I hope to use in more NewGRFs in the future. I've done most available graphics and some code, with the main developer being Eddi.
Now the older things:
- NuTracks. The very first track type NewGRF, I was left with it after the original developer disappeared. I drew new tracks for it, but have more or less abandoned it with the advent of recent replacements.
- NARVS. What it says there; I never got to drawing trucks (most of everything else was by DanMacK) and no longer need to thanks to BANDIT. Abandoned even longer than NuTracks.
- LRVS. The very oldest (2 years by now), a badly planned set of small road vehicles. I managed to lose the developing code, and no one's picked up what's there, so all is well :P

May the rest remain in darkness (nothing particularly shocking though :yawn: ).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 17:11 
Artists Guild

oberhuemer wrote:
but have more or less abandoned it with the advent of recent replacements.

So there is a newgrf which is better than NuTracks?? I thought NuTracks was the best track set i'd seen for variable speed limits and wasn't aware of a replacement, please indulge my curiosity :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 16:16 
Lurker
Lurker

It's me again :)

I'm Swissfan91. I won't bore you with all of my TTD/OTTD history, it is fairly similar to most other people's!

I have a great love of... Swiss things :P but mainly, anything alpine! Most of my OTTD/tt-forums life has been trying desperately to drum up interest in getting alpine things into the game! Then, last year, I decided that drawing pixely-things isn't *too* hard (not saying I am any good at it!) and drew a few things:

TARS Towns (Need a coder!)
TARS Objects (Release coming soon!)
TARS Industry (Very, very basic idea stage)

I've also made a few scenarios:
Switzerland I
Switzerland II

and have two in the pipeline:
Switzerland III (bigger map, extra height levels etc!)
Valais (an area of Switzerland, with lots of transport!)

Miscellaneous stuff include a bit of work for the Swiss set and for the DACH train set (really good, Yoshi :)) So yeah, that's basically me! PM me on here or tt-forums for any info on my projects!

That man Wallyweb up there, he is a wonderfully helpful fellow who has helped me a great deal! Also - mentions to SAC (for putting up with many questions that I badger her about RE drawing :P) and Leanden (who is a nice guy and enjoys a nice UK game).

Bye. :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 19:26 
Lurker
Lurker

Hi, I'm Cameron (A321Pilot), I am 14 Years Old, and enjoy Playing OTTD in my Spare time (Which isn't much at the minute), School Work getting in the way. I wish there was a Way I could contribute to peoples GRF sets, or even make my own, but I have no Experience. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 03:28 

You will gain experience... by time. ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 22:49 
Lurker
Lurker

Hey fellow simuscapers.

Thought I'd post here
I'm Steve aka stelepe, 19 years old. I'm currently studying IT and cisco networking and IT Essentials at college, its taking up all my time so I don't get much quality openttd related time.

I'm (very slowly) drawing a class 101 for Leandens britrains. By the way, sorry I haven't produced any sprites lately. Cisco is mind boggling and I have been spending most of my time with my head in books. So apologies to everyone involved with britrains.

My course finishes in under 2 months so sprite production should increase.

To wrap up with, I just want to say I take pride in being part of what could be the biggest newgrf set for openttd. Everyone involved with britrains does a smashing job. Well done. :)

Stelepe

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next