It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:04

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 39   [ 769 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: GarryG Does Bridges
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 15:48 
Master Mentor

GarryG wrote:
I wasn't going to use any TBR bridges .. just if I use TBS with my set .. it be ok if my set replaced those in TBR and also in defaults.
Ok ... Which # shall the Steel Girder replace? (We will decide the other bridges when we have them in production, Too early now)

Quote:
Your welcome to make these bridges Creative Commons if like as all bridges I have in this set are our own design.
Each bridge can have its own license. You seem to be omfortable with GPL so I suggest keeping that for your own art, unless you feel a need for otherwise.

Quote:
I've did these 18 pixels wide.
and if 18 doesn't work out you will have to redraw all the other parts. Send me the 20 pixel floors as well. I am going to do a special GRF where you will be able to build 14, 18 and 20 side by side and compare how each handles the catenaries. The girders will only get in the way so don't include those yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:27 
Expert
Expert

wallyweb wrote:
Ok ... Which # shall the Steel Girder replace?

I happy if steel girders stays at #3.

That type, wooden and brick were the main types of bridges used in Australia for many years and some still in use today.

wallyweb wrote:
Send me the 20 pixel floors as well.

To make the steel girder bridge 20 pixels wide I think if just the pillars and #06 are set that wide should be suitable as that is where the catenary poles suppose to be. Between pillars for 00/01 I not think that is necessary for that section to be 20 wide.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:43 
Expert
Expert

The 18 wide pixel almost looks like how is in this pic.
Attachment:
railroad-steel-girder-bridge.png
railroad-steel-girder-bridge.png [ 91 KiB | Viewed 6971 times ]

Got me thinking if I could make side of 00/01 have the iron plating look and it not rusted much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:54 
Player
Player

Regarding the wideness of the bridge, not really sure about this, as I didnt really put too much attention on it, so please doublecheck, but as I recall the graphics of a bridge overrides (overlaps so to say) the graphics of the catenary. So having a pylon on the pillar (outside of the girder) may not work, as the graphics of the pylon will be obstructed by some parts of the girder, which will look strange. Furthermore, I think it is a bit strange to have the catenary ouside of the structure (with its wires inside the structure), I dont think this really happens in reallife.
Another thing to consider (but it depends on how/where pylons are placed by the game, I have no knowledge of that) is what will happen if you choose to not have bridge pillars at the end of each tile. Maybe some pylons will be placed at locations without pillars and thus float/hover...

I would therefor recommend to make bridges wide enough to get catenary on the insides.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 18:02 
Master Mentor

Quast65 wrote:
I would therefor recommend to make bridges wide enough to get catenary on the insides.
I agree. My thoughts exactly.
Garry, don't worry about the ramps and pilons yet. Give me the 20px 00/01 as well so that we can do a proper comparrison. This will save a lot of extra work later.

@Quast65 ... That bright pixel you noticed is a bug in NuTracks. It played Hell wth my mind when I was designing my Urban Transit System Bridge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 18:14 
Expert
Expert

Quast65 wrote:
So having a pylon on the pillar (outside of the girder) may not work, as the graphics of the pylon will be obstructed by some parts of the girder

I had widen the steel girders 2 pixels each way which I hope would over come that.

Quast65 wrote:
Another thing to consider (but it depends on how/where pylons are placed by the game, I have no knowledge of that) is what will happen if you choose to not have bridge pillars at the end of each tile. Maybe some pylons will be placed at locations without pillars and thus float/hover...

That one I never thought of unless we stick to the pylons each end of every section of the bridge.

wallyweb wrote:
Give me the 20px 00/01 as well so that we can do a proper comparrison. This will save a lot of extra work later.

Getting late here .. so hope do this tomorrow after I visit dream world and count some sheep for a while.

wallyweb wrote:
@Quast65 ... That bright pixel you noticed is a bug in NuTracks

Glad that a problem with NuTracks .. been looking at the ramps I did trying to figure out what pixel was doing that. I can stop looking now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 18:50 
Player
Player

Quote:
problem with NuTracks

Good to know! That saves you guys a headache after all this hard work on getting the sprites drawn and lined up correctly ;-)

I look forward to your work on fixing the pylon issue.
Keep up the great work guys!! :W
Like I said before, it is so interesting to follow this development, you guys are encountering and solving almost every issue a bridgedesigner might get. This is a very good read for anyone wanting to make a bridgeset!! :bowing:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 04:15 
Master Mentor

Quast65 wrote:
Like I said before, it is so interesting to follow this development, you guys are encountering and solving almost every issue a bridgedesigner might get. This is a very good read for anyone wanting to make a bridgeset!! :bowing:
The inspiration behind my tutorial work in progress. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 12:50 
Expert
Expert

Hi guys, not get any work did to bridges or anything else today as had no power since 7.30 this morning and only just came back on at 6.30 pm tonight.

Unfortunately kids turn as one has some school project to research .. maybe tomorrow get chance to do more to bridges.

It annoying all these problems .. but in many ways it good as allows you wally to include problems that might happen and how to fix in your tutorials.

I think some of the other designs I like to include might test us too ..

Cheers pal .. be back when kids let me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 14:37 
Expert
Expert

I back .. just measuring the number of pixels with NuTrack and the Dutch catenary.

The post when on far side of rail they are 4 pixels away from top of rail .. and closest side they are 6 pixels away from top of rail .. total distance is 18 pixels same as space needed for road bridges.

Looking at the pic I put above of a bridge .. the pylons stick out a distance from the rails .. so if I include this effect and could make the 20 pixels .. it should work .. I hope.

I will make some up and send as soon as I can.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 07:01 
Expert
Expert

Hi Wally,

Sorry not done the 20 pixel bridge yet. Technically I have done it twice and lost it both times because of power surges and outages today. For safety I no do any important work for rest of day in case lose it again. I wait till tonight and hope power back to normal.

Last outage was just over an hour and took my computer a long time to restart as had to repair some damage .. my steel bridge file also damage .. will have to go back to an older version and start from there.

Catch up with you soon

Garry

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 11:41 
Expert
Expert

Just checked your Urban Transit Bridge and it 16 pixels wide and handles the catenary ok at the pylons and line up on edge of your bridge ok if was no pylon.

So If can .. like to make 00/01 leave at 14 or if need 16 max. And make the steel girders 18 wide this should hide the catenary poles.

What ya think?

Had a 3rd power outage since last message I sent .. so I not do any thing to bridges just yet. Hope start later tonight.

Cheers

EDIT: All the bridges I looked at on internet with steel girders .. the pylons stick out the sides .. so pylons could be 20 wide if like.

Even future bridges they to can be 20 wide except for the wooden bridge like it to be as narrow as possible as not planned for catenary on these bridges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 12:35 
Master Mentor

GarryG wrote:
So If can .. like to make 00/01 leave at 14 or if need 16 max. And make the steel girders 18 wide this should hide the catenary poles.

What ya think?
Let's give it a go and see how it looks in game.

Quote:
EDIT: All the bridges I looked at on internet with steel girders .. the pylons stick out the sides .. so pylons could be 20 wide if like.
We'll have to do some testing. Pylons have quirks, especially for higher bridges. Coincidentally pylons are the next part of my tutorial so this will be a good time for me to work on that and get some answers.

Quote:
Even future bridges they to can be 20 wide except for the wooden bridge like it to be as narrow as possible as not planned for catenary on these bridges.
Keep in mind that we can't block pylons so if a player wants them, the player will build them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 13:05 
Expert
Expert

Hope in another hour or so I will try doing something to bridges .. surely goodness the power outages not go all night too .. had one just a short time ago for a few seconds .. just enough to turn computer off on me.

Nothing worse spending time doing graphics and coding and get so wrapped in what doing and lose it because forgetting to save it regular .. it really makes a person :x .. and I already crazy :mrgreen:

Cheers pal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 14:14 
Expert
Expert

I was able to get this lot done with no power interruptions.

The pylons and steel girder sections are 18 wide. The railway lines with the iron plating is 14 wide.

If the iron plating idea mucks up what coding you done so far let me know as no problem to put these sections back to how they was before.

Not sure if the iron plating on facing side could stay with the base section or should be separate like I have here. Let me know if want changed.

By moving the steel girders out a few pixels .. was able to remove that 1 pixel piece that was sticking out at the bottom of the front sections.

I'll work on 20 pixel pylons now see if can get done before my bedtime.

Attachments:
Auz_Rail_Steel18wide.png
Auz_Rail_Steel18wide.png [ 29.51 KiB | Viewed 6952 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 14:54 
Expert
Expert

I done the 20 wide pylons.

The only changes with the 18 wide bridge and the 20 wide bridge is the pylons .. the rest all the same.

So I send only top row of the bridge pieces for the 20 wide.

If want the rest let me know.

I think 20 wide pylons look better and because they stick out the side of railway lines and the steel girders looks a lot more realistic to the bridge pic.

Attachment:
Auz_Rail_Steel20widepylons2.png
Auz_Rail_Steel20widepylons2.png [ 7.18 KiB | Viewed 6952 times ]

EDIT: Woops the 20 pixel pylons I had here .. I made a mistake with right set .. they way too thick. A bit like me .. a bit thick at times. .. Send another copy soon.

Last edited by GarryG on 15 Sep 2016, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 15:30 
Expert
Expert

Try this one for the 20 pixel pylons.
Attachment:
Auz_Rail_Steel20widepylons.png
Auz_Rail_Steel20widepylons.png [ 5.04 KiB | Viewed 6952 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 19:23 
Master Mentor

Hope to get at these this afternoon, but it will probably this evening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 05:37 
Expert
Expert

That's ok pal no hurry .. let me know if I missed anything or the pirates been back again.

Be interesting what minimum width can work with the catenary poles so can design future bridges to suit.

Friend of mine likes the idea of the wide road bridges so can use them next to each other and ask if all road bridges I design are like that. The concrete and the one I planning with brick pylons and iron support beams should both look ok as wide bridges .. not sure if the old style wooden bridge will be ok like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 05:58 
Master Mentor

Got sidetracked. :P I should be back in the bridge business by the end off the week. :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 39   [ 769 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 39  Next