It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:16

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]

INFRA Bridges - Poll, Visual Alternatives...
Same bridges in both orientations, (13 bridges)... 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Different bridges in / and \ orientations, (26 bridges)... 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I don't mind either way... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: INFRA Bridges...
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 20:23 
Simuscape Admin

I've added a poll regarding the suggestion about having different bridge graphics in / and \ views, to reach also those who normally don't post...

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: INFRA Bridges...
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 20:23 
Simuscape Admin

I've been planning for a long while to create and release my own bridge concept for use with both TTDP and OTTD, but for this to happen I have - at this point - one question;

The maximum number of bridges for use with both TTDP and OTTD is 13. For the visual appearance the total number could be extended to 26 provided that different graphics are used for the / and the \ directions. Would this be something that could be of interest, or does the majority prefer similar bridge graphics for both these directions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 21:02 
Lurker
Lurker

My idea was to have different bridges for road, rail, monorail, maglev.

Different graphics for "/" and "\" directions sounds somewhat strange for me, breaks the consistency what an 'user' wants...

Anyway the max bridges for TTDpatch is 11, and OTTD 13. This is a very old history when OTTD introduced the silver and golden tubular bridges. TBRS only fixes the graphical glitches on the silver and golden tubulars, and replaces the first to the concrete viaduct.

On an old post I have suggested to increase the number of bridges. Perhaps it would be faster if I implement this in OTTD and supply the patches for devs... No single action was made on the bridges in the past 5 years...
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=49453

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 21:21 
Simuscape Admin

thgergo wrote:
Anyway the max bridges for TTDpatch is 11, and OTTD 13. This is a very old history when OTTD introduced the silver and golden tubular bridges. TBRS only fixes the graphical glitches on the silver and golden tubulars, and replaces the first to the concrete viaduct.

I still play TTDP and I have 13 bridges in game... from the first bridge down to the Tubular Silicon... :)

But more bridges would definately be the optimal solution...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 23:24 
Master Mentor

thgergo wrote:
Anyway the max bridges for TTDpatch is 11, and OTTD 13.
As SAC noted, TTDP has supported 13 bridges for a number of years. I just found out about this very recently. The problem is that nobody has updated the wiki.
Quote:
For the visual appearance the total number could be extended to 26 provided that different graphics are used for the / and the \ directions.
This is indeed possible, but in my opinion it would be very poor form. What if the player wants the same bridge, but in the other orientation? That was the intent of the current arrangement.
That said, we are able to have different bridges for road and rail ... that's 26, or 13 of each.
Much better to encourage the cooperation of an OTTD dev to extend the number of bridges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 01:19 
Lurker
Lurker

wallyweb wrote:
Much better to encourage the cooperation of an OTTD dev to extend the number of bridges.

There was some activity about introducing proper newgrf bridge actions 5-6 or even 7 years ago during the release of the original TBRS. Even one dev asked me to draw a big bridge to demonstrate the new abilities of the system. I have made sketches of a big arch bridge 2x larger that's present in the current TBRS, but since then nothing were implemented neither I have finished drawing it.

To sum up, I think the dev's want to implement newgrf bridges properly, not with the current "hacked" method. They want to implement similarly as we have for buildings. Also the nml language missing the bridge part still. After TBRS there never been a large scale newer bridge set lauched either, at least I have not seen one yet.

Some time ago I have requested to at least give us the id's after 13, to have 255 bridgetypes. But still we are waiting for the proper implementation. Oh well, I should go to work and code it, if I want this to get working, I should not complain no excuses :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 04:17 
Master Mentor

thgergo wrote:
Another hope is with cirdan and his New Map Features branch off of OTTD. He has already included custom bridgeheads and signals on bridgeheads. His current focus is on the pathfinders as well as OTTD bugs. I believe signals on bridges are on is to-do list. Once those are done he might be willing to consider expanded bridge IDs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 06:52 

Indeed. And I also agree that different / and \ views will confuse the user and look inconsistent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 08:57 
Simuscape Admin

thgergo wrote:
I have made sketches of a big arch bridge 2x larger that's present in the current TBRS, but since then nothing were implemented neither I have finished drawing it.

I actually plan to have one rather large arch bridge included that is fixed as far as both height and length concerns, but at this point I'm not entirely sure how many different sections a bridge can be, (that is, for instance the arch bridge in TBRS uses 7 different sections to form the arch)...

This will of course reduce the number of available bridges for all heights and lengths to 12, but I think that's worth it in the end... :P

Anyway, I've added a poll about bridge graphics with the hope that also those who normally doesn't post may at least cast their vote... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 11:41 
Artists Guild Team

Just to remind accidental bridge coders, that m4nfo supports bridges, even using GRM sprite allocation, see the bridge tutorial.

regards
Michael

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 19:56 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
I recommend very highly that you become very familiar with the Action0 specification for bridges, especially the sections on sprite layout and bridge layout. There are limitations to what can be done without a lot of serious frustrations.

Also, the specification allows for 13 bridge IDs but there are sprites for only 7 IDs. The remaining 6 IDs are recolouring of 3 of the 7 bridges. GRFResourceManagement must be used to replace the 6 recoloured bridges.

You will have to make your bridges fit into the specifications.

If you should go ahead with only one orientation per bridge and you release the GRF, be prepared for players to ask why the other orientation is not available

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 20:30 
Simuscape Admin

Well, I'm not a coder myself so whenever I move forward with my bridge project, I'll make sure to work closely with the coder... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 07:08 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
Well, I'm not a coder myself so whenever I move forward with my bridge project, I'll make sure to work closely with the coder... :)
Well, my suggestion was not to encourage you to code, but rather, to familiarize yourself as to the graphical limitations. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 13:50 
Lurker
Lurker

Hi,

I am also for same / \ bridge views regardless of orientation. I second that it would cause confusion.

Regards,
Ali

EDIT: How can I typo in such short message is beyond my understanding ><

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]