It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:17

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 11:15 
Expert
Expert

Australian Trains

March 03, 2017

I am making several Railway Sets of Australian Trains.

At moment there are 2 sets AuzTrains and NSWTrains.
Visit viewtopic.php?f=179&t=811#p10399
to view credits of those who have help me with these sets.

NSWTRAINS:
Has trains that operated on railway lines in State of New South Wales, Australia.

AUZTRAINS:
Has all the trains in NSWTrains plus trains from other States of Australia. (Still lots to add)

You can make famous trains such as:
Southern Aurora, Spirit of Progress, Indian Pacific, Brisbane Limited, Newcastle Flyer, Silver City Comet, Mail Trains and many more.

The sets been on Bananas for a while .. was updated to Version 6 not long ago.

Now working on Version 7 .. here's a sample of those 2 sets.

Attachments:
File comment: Sprite of Progress
Spirit of Progress.png
Spirit of Progress.png [ 243.61 KiB | Viewed 12837 times ]
NSWTrains.rar [427.42 KiB]
Downloaded 467 times
AuzTrains.rar [500.22 KiB]
Downloaded 443 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 04:27 
Expert
Expert

Next version will have 1100 and 1200 class rail cars.
Attachment:
1100 and 1200 class.png
1100 and 1200 class.png [ 233.3 KiB | Viewed 12828 times ]

The 1200 classes are on the top track and 1100 class lower track.

The 1200 class was used on the Riverina Express between Sydney and Albury .. when train arrived at stations along the main line one of the cars would be detached to services the branch lines. The Victorian Railways DRC Class Rail Cars were built same time and design as the 1200 Class.

The 1100 class was used on day services between Sydney and Goulburn and on the South Coast Daylight Express between Sydney and Nowra on the South Coast line.

The 1100 Class rail cars, or the "Budd Cars", as they were more commonly known, were based on the stainless steel rail cars produced by the Budd Corporation, of Philadelphia, USA, suitably modified for NSW conditions.

The 1200 class rail cars were based on the Budd (1100 Class) layout of a double ended rail car with twin underfloor engines and hydraulic transmissions. However, these cars differed from the 1100 Class, being constructed principally of aluminium.

Since these where based on a American design I thought it appropriate that I did the same so I based mine on Voyager One's USA_Amtrak_Budd_RDC from the 2cc TrainsInNML set.

If you want more info on these two sets and other NSW Rail Motors .. visit the N.S.W. RAIL MOTORS CLASS INDEX at http://www.railmotorsociety.org.au/rm_class_frame.htm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 04:28 
Expert
Expert

Playing around with the graphics to the wagons and fixing a few pixels out of place.

Many of the wagons when several of the same type where together they looked like one big long wagon as can be seen by the top train with the cattle wagons and others are a pixel 2 close.
Attachment:
File comment: These are Gen 1, 2 and 3 Wagons
Wagon Length.png
Wagon Length.png [ 49.47 KiB | Viewed 12820 times ]

So I been playing around with them to make them look a bit more realistic.
These some of the results.
Attachment:
File comment: These are actually Gen 5 Wagons
Gen3 Wagons2.png
Gen3 Wagons2.png [ 82.65 KiB | Viewed 12820 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: These are Gen 3 Wagons
Gen 3 Wagons.png
Gen 3 Wagons.png [ 141.88 KiB | Viewed 12820 times ]

And when travelling North-south directions the wagons used to look like one long wagon. So I shortened them by 1 pixel so can see the gap between wagons. Can you spot the difference?
Attachment:
File comment: These are actually Gen 5 Wagons
Gen3 Wagons3.png
Gen3 Wagons3.png [ 9.8 KiB | Viewed 12820 times ]

Also changing the wheels so look the same on all vehicles. Gen3 Wagons2 most likely be the design I will use.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 01:36 

The train on the right: It looks very flat. Something should be done with shading.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 03:13 
Expert
Expert

Livestock wagons should be in shade so animals no get hot on sunny days. :) Maybe give them all a brolley (umbrella) :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 03:17 

Nah! All in use:

Rain rain goe away.
Come again another day.
Little Arthur wants to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 02:12 
Expert
Expert

Still experimenting with the train sets.

The top train is all Gen 5 Type 1 Louvred Vans .. but to have the fun of a mixed train it will also randomly provide a Open Wagons that can carry the same cargos as the louvred vans. .. gives the train amixed load look.

Middle train Gen 5 Type 2 Louvred Vans and Refrigerator Vans.. and it too uses the odd Open Wagon instead of the Louvred Van.

Bottom train is container train and last 5 wagons are refrigerator containers.

Much thanks goes to Coalroads-Artist as he designed majority of what you see in pic.

Attachments:
Gen 5 Wagons.png
Gen 5 Wagons.png [ 13.61 KiB | Viewed 12804 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 12:10 
Expert
Expert

Slowly progressing with updating the train sets.

Added some Brake-Vans (Service vans).

HG, BHG, PHG , KHG Brake Vans are new ones added (Service Vans)
Service_Car_Type1 and Type2 removed.
Added Mixed Wagons randomly selects between Open Wagons, Louvred, Flat Wagons and Container Wagons that all carry same cargo. Only did Gen 5 so far to see if worth doing it to other Hens or removing it.

Changed random switch to give greater variety of wagons randomly used.

Added separate Coal Hoppers to Gen 4 & 5. Removed them from the Hopper Selections.

Separated the Livestock and Reefers from the Louvred Vans in Gen 4 and Gen 5 Wagons. (Will do same for Gen 1, 2 and 3 eventually)
Renaming Reefers to Refrigerator Vans.

Attachment:
Brake_Vans.png
Brake_Vans.png [ 8.36 KiB | Viewed 12800 times ]

The are from left to right:
KHG, JHG, MHG, PHG, FHG, LHG, SHG, BHG, CHG and BH.

All except the CHG will carry GOODS and some other cargos .. some will also carry a few passengers.

These on the back of a Goods train can add a bit more revenue to trains that travel through towns on way to their destinations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 11:55 
Expert
Expert

Progressed a bit further with the train sets. Up to version 9 now.

Finished (I hope) Gen 1 and Gen 5 wagons. Still working on others.
Separated from the louvred vans the refrigerator (Meat Wagons) and livestock vans.
Removed the Hopper Wagons from Gen 1 as these type of wagons were not available at the start.

Attachments:
Gen1_Wagons.png
Gen1_Wagons.png [ 20.85 KiB | Viewed 12786 times ]
NSWTrainsV9.rar [457.86 KiB]
Downloaded 403 times
AuzTrainsV9.rar [535.53 KiB]
Downloaded 397 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 14:31 
Expert
Expert

Graphics improving all the time .. I used the red sprites and made red trains to practice with and get them aligned properly.

I be re-doing all the locos and rolling stock in the train sets so they will (hopefully) all align properly.

After I fix the alignments .. intend to re-code them .. where I used the 2cc Trains in NML and it has things separated into Gen 1 to Gen 5 .. I intend to remove the Gens and allow trains to become available on the dates I find in my research rather then a bunch in one go.

But before I start .. I need my beauty sleep and get the buzz saw going.

Attachments:
NewRailway3.png
NewRailway3.png [ 13.94 KiB | Viewed 12768 times ]
NewRailway2.png
NewRailway2.png [ 318.8 KiB | Viewed 12768 times ]
SPRITES 8.png
SPRITES 8.png [ 4.04 KiB | Viewed 12768 times ]
SPRITES 4.png
SPRITES 4.png [ 4.45 KiB | Viewed 12768 times ]
RedSprites5to7.rar [14.1 KiB]
Downloaded 410 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 07:09 
Expert
Expert

Still working on my train sets.
Attachment:
EmptyContainerTrains.png
EmptyContainerTrains.png [ 19.55 KiB | Viewed 12713 times ]

Went train riding and train spotting other day and watch a very long container train pass .. it had both empty and loaded container wagons.

This got me thinking (almost gave me a headache) with game play how we have empty container trains heading to Industries and they load containers full of cargo to come back .. but who takes the empty containers to that Industry?

So I making up some container wagons that will randomly give you both empty and loaded wagons when train is running empty. The containers represent empty containers. When reach destination will load a different colour container on that wagon.

Might also look good on a loaded train of cargo using containers. Have a odd empty container wagon for the novelty of the train, but it actually be loaded so no loose money on it.

Also thinking some other wagons that run empty maybe the odd loaded wagon might look good on the train. For instance open wagons running empty, might look nice if there is the odd tarpaulin wagon on train too.

Shall keep experimenting see if can improve on this idea.

Something of interest .. found out that Bogie Coal Hoppers and Bogie wheat wagons in NSW was not available till 1951 .. this will mean for carrying Minerals and grains will need to use the faithful 4-wheeled wagons for first 100 years of railways in Australia if you start the game in 1850s.

Also found out I had speed wrong for the 4-wheelers, I thought they restricted to 40 km/h, but re-read it and that was 40 mph .. so they now been increased to 60 km/h.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 11:39 
Expert
Expert

Here's my latest creation .. Mixed Wagons available in 1902.

These are the bogie vehicle available at that time and they all carry the same cargo.
Attachment:
MixedGoods 1920.png
MixedGoods 1920.png [ 16.59 KiB | Viewed 12710 times ]

If you want a train to carry GOODS, the Mixed Wagons will randomly give you up to 8 different types. Other cargos like WOOL, FOOD, Engineering Supplies, and several other types will give you up to 6 different types of wagons.

Good for players who like trains with a mixed load of wagons.

Unfortunately can only make for same wagon lengths .. these are length 6. Will make other Mixed Wagons for Lengths 4, 5, 7 and 8. (I already did length 8, but want to make some changes to it).
Attachment:
File comment: Version 15
NSWTrains.grf [4.05 MiB]
Downloaded 459 times

I changed the sorting of Freight Wagons so each type is together .. (i.e all the flat wagons are together, all the livestock wagons together, and so on).
It this sample of NSWTrains will find the Mixed trains that are available in 1902 and a more modern set for 1960 (which I intend to alter).

Also has the empty container wagons with empty containers.

Also experimented with Piggyback trains .. trucks on flat tops .. a sample becomes available in 1981. Empty wagons have the trucks on .. loaded ones are empty at moment .. and there is some flashing pixels .. but all experimental at moment so fix those things later if the idea works.

Cheers all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 14:54 
Expert
Expert

Released Version 18 of the train sets on Bananas.

Changes that I made are:

All work been done to the freight wagons

Fixed several alignment problems and changed graphics to many of them.

For the novelty I made more Service Vans from different freight vehicles and put flashing lights on the autos. These become available in 1970 when brake vans started to be removed from Freight Trains and replaced by Blink Bills (flashing Lights). Cost nothing to buy and have no running costs. Also made a few empty container wagons as service vans to for those who like to have a empty wagon amongst the loaded ones.

Trains made up with container wagons .. when these are empty they will have some wagons with empty containers on them.

Mixed Wagons .. I like have trains with a mixture of different types of wagons .. so what I been doing is making these Mixed Wagon sets .. when buy these wagons and select a cargo it will randomly find different wagons that can carry that cargo. GOODS for instance you could end up with a train with Flat Wagons, Open Wagons, Louvred Vans, Refrigerator Vans, Tankers, and Motor Vehicle Transport and Container Wagons when they become available.

I haven't done the 4-wheeled Mixed Wagons yet .. there are 3 sets size 6, 7 and 8 type wagons. Size six becomes available in 1902, Size 7 in 1954 and size 8 in 1965.

Separated Cattle Wagons and Sheep Vans and they both have different carrying capacity.

Cattle Wagons (for Cattle and Horses) 4-wheelers carry 12 head of cattle and bogie cattle wagons carry 20 head of cattle.

Sheep Vans (for sheep and pigs) 4-wheelers carry 100 sheep and bogie wagons carry 200 sheep. (Not sure yet how this will affect game play and whether I need to increase running cost of these vans).

(In case you don't know, cattle are a lot larger then sheep so :o .. DON'T BE CRUEL AND TRY LOADING THE CATTLE IN TO THE SMALL LOW ROOFS COMPARTMENTS OF SHEEP VANS :twisted: ).

When bogie Hopper and silo wagons become available .. loading minerals and grains into open wagons will no longer be available.

Hope you like the new changes.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 11:16 
Expert
Expert

Changed graphics and re-aligned some Steam Locos and XPT trains.
Attachment:
XPT.png
XPT.png [ 15.06 KiB | Viewed 12666 times ]

The XPT in red is the new graphics .. blue is still old style.

Making power cars slightly shorter as that is how they is in real.

I noticed Silver City Comet power car was 1 pixel to long too .. been fixed .. guess there be more wrong in size to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 08:49 
Expert
Expert

Updated graphics and some alignment issues in the train sets.

Fixed graphics and alignment issues with Steam Loco.
Added extra set of Queensland Railways Tilt Trains (copied from 2CC TRains in NML)
Changed graphics to Passenger carriages and Freight Wagons.

Some Passenger Carriages where to long .. these being some carriages released in late 1800s and early 1900s.. changed them to a size 7 so more realistic and to scale compared to longer carriages entering service later.

Updates are on Bananas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 09:34 
Expert
Expert

Been train riding taking some pics and videos of trains, railway infrastructure and old buildings.

Some train pics I took were of coal trains with batwing coal wagons.

Some pics of these wagons are at this website:https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=46344&start=2720#p1185905

Using those pics I made these Batwing wagons:
Attachment:
Batwings1.png
Batwings1.png [ 90.95 KiB | Viewed 12521 times ]

They become available in game in 1994 and weight 120 tonnes when loaded. Wagon is 23t and 97 tonnes Coal. Speed 100 when empty 60 when full. (Unfortunately I don't know how to code them to have 2 different speed so I made them 100.

When I was train spotting seen them with 2 to 3 locos and up to 98 wagons in length. Each wagon is 15.4 metres long.

There are several companies hauling coal, but for these wagons I did the Pacific National Logo. In real not all wagons have the company logo so I arranged so when you purchase these wagons they will randomly give you some with and some without the logo.

When I get some good photos of other company logos I hope to make some more of these coal wagons with the other logos.

If like using Aussie trains .. here they are .. Version 23.

Attachments:
AuzTrains.rar [580.64 KiB]
Downloaded 404 times
NSWTrains.rar [499.17 KiB]
Downloaded 420 times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 01:53 
Expert
Expert

Just released version 24 on the train sets on Bananas.

Since last Banana release I've improved and changed some graphics.

Some of the changes I done are:

Reduced the size of trucks on Piggy Back Wagons.

Changed the following DMU sets as they not suppose to have middle carriages.
600 Class
620 Class (all liveries)
Hunter RailCars
Endeavour

Added: Coal Wagons in 1994 .. 97t and 100 km/h
Altered graphics and sizes to some of the Service Vans.

Changed coding to Container Wagons so better variety of wagons
Attachment:
Container TRains with Goods.png
Container TRains with Goods.png [ 21.08 KiB | Viewed 12499 times ]

These 5 trains I selected GOODS for all cargos and as you can see there are no twins.
These are all empty trains with empty containers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 03:36 

GarryG wrote:
(In case you don't know, cattle are a lot larger then sheep so :o .. DON'T BE CRUEL AND TRY LOADING THE CATTLE INTO THE SMALL LOW ROOFS COMPARTMENTS OF SHEEP VANS :twisted: ).

Don't worry, with some beer they will become pita:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFb9B-I0FwU

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 14:19 
Expert
Expert

athanasios wrote:
Don't worry, with some beer they will become pita:

That would be worser .. if a cattle wagon can hold 20 ccows that are not pita, how many will it hold if they all is pita .. in other words they be all tipsy.

Wonder what the milk would taste like if they was dairy cows.

Next subject:

Having a go making Container Articulated Wagons.
Attachment:
Container TRains with Articulated Wagons.png
Container TRains with Articulated Wagons.png [ 72.31 KiB | Viewed 12496 times ]

Each wagon needs to be purchased one at a time and in the correct order.
Seen some other day when I went train spotting and they had 5 wagons in a set sharing 6 bogies.
The end wagons have the white label wagon number plate on them.
In the purchase window I have labelled the wagons the order they should be purchased.

Attachments:
Purchase List.png
Purchase List.png [ 11.95 KiB | Viewed 12496 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 15:12 
Expert
Expert

Been fiddling with the Articulated Container Wagon idea.

The centre wagons could not get coding right .. I wanted it to randomly select between 3 wagon sets and each set had 4 sprite designs. So I separated them so now can choose either Centre Wagon 1, 2 or 3 and each one will give a random of 4 sprites.
Attachment:
Container TRains with Articulated Wagons.png
Container TRains with Articulated Wagons.png [ 19.61 KiB | Viewed 12478 times ]

Top: has wagons from centre 1, middle from centre 2 and bottom from centre 3. All these are empty trains.
When train is loaded will have a good variety of colours.
They are refittable. See the purchase list:
Attachment:
Purchase List.png
Purchase List.png [ 17.94 KiB | Viewed 12478 times ]

As you can see in the purchase list there are 5 Articulated Container Wagons. End wagons to purchase first, then purchase 3 of the centre wagons (can select of same type or a mixture of the 3).

I've renamed NSWTrains to AuzTrainsNSW since most of my other projects also start with Auz. Just the town names need to be redone and name change one day.

Attachments:
AuzTrainsNSW.rar [517.61 KiB]
Downloaded 411 times

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next