It is currently 16 May 2024, 11:45

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 122 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 06:55 
Player
Player

oberhuemer wrote:
Came up with this, ...
Thank you. I'll consider them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 18:56 
Lurker
Lurker

OzTrans wrote:
I didn't have Realistic Acceleration' turned on; so that answers that question. As for narrow gauge ... there is not much I can do about it. I could add TE information as additional vehicle information though.

Thanks for pointing out the issue about TE in monorail, both of you. I didn't notice that the option "realistic acceleration" actually did more than changing the physical behaviour of the trains.

@oberhuemer: Your translations are good. Here is what I came up with (note that I also translated the two Cab Control Cars, as they are "cars" while being engines in the game):

Quote:
Standard Gauge:

Heavyweight Passenger Coach -> Reisezugwagen
Heavyweight Mail Car -> Postwagen
Lightweight Passenger Coach -> moderner Reisezugwagen
Lightweight Mail Car -> moderner Postwagen
Bi-Level Passenger Car -> Doppelstockpersonenwagen
Express Car -> Expressgutwagen
Steam Generator Unit (SGU) -> Dampfheizungswagen
Van -> Zugbegleitwagen
Boxcar -> gedeckter Güterwagen
Flat Car -> Rungenwagen
Reefer -> Kühlwagen
Hopper '2 Bay' -> Schüttgutwagen (2 Trichter)
Hopper '3 Bay' -> Schüttgutwagen (3 Trichter)
Hopper (Unit Train) -> moderner Schüttgutwagen
Centerbeam Flat Car -> Stirnwandwagen (Mittelträger)
Early Tank Car -> Kesselwagen
Modern Tank Car -> moderner Kesselwagen
Livestock Car -> Viehwagen
Gondola -> offener Güterwagen
Autorack -> Autotransportwagen
Intermodal Flat Car -> Intermodalgüterwagen
Hi-Cube Boxcar -> Großraumgüterwagen
Container Flat Car -> Taschenwagen
Doublestack Container Car -> Doppelstockcontainerwagen
Covered Hopper -> gedeckter Schüttgutwagen
Ore Hopper 'early' -> Erzwagen
Ore Hopper 'modern' -> moderner Erzwagen
Steel Coil Car -> Stahlrollenwagen
Road Railer -> Lkw-Auflieger (Roadrailer)
Cab Control Car 'single' -> Steuerwagen
Cab Control Car 'bi-level' -> Doppelstocksteuerwagen

Quote:
Narrow Gauge

Wood Passenger Car -> Personenwagen
Wood Mail car -> Postwagen
Steel Passenger Car -> moderner Personenwagen
Steel Mail Car -> moderner Postwagen
Boxcar -> gedeckter Güterwagen
Reefer -> Kühlwagen
Hopper -> Schüttgutwagen
Tank Car -> Kesselwagen
Stock Car -> Viehwagen
Ore Car -> Erzwagen
Flat Car -> Stirnwandwagen
Container Flat Car -> Taschenwagen
Van -> Zugbegleitwagen

Please note that I not only translated the names, as they are names, no descriptions. Here are some examples:

Centerbeam Flat Car, which is essentially a bulkhead flat car ("Stirnwandwagen") reinforced with a beam
or
    Flat Car, which is drawn as a flat car with stakes ("Rungenwagen")
or
    Heavy-/Lightweight Cars, which actually differ not only from their weight, but also from their introduction dates (Lightweight being more modern)

What do you think about this?

EDIT: I could not find the "Schüttgutwagen 'Holzspäne'", neither in german nor its english counterpart "Woodchip Hopper". Is this a new car that is not in version 1.1?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 19:53 
Player
Player

ogremagie wrote:
... vehicle name translations ...
Thank you for your contribution. I'll be reviewing them. I hope to come up with mutually acceptable vehicle descriptions.

Please note, some of the vehicle types are typically North American and are less likely to be found in Europe; e.g. the Centrebeam Flat Car or the Road Railer. Therefore it is a bit difficult to come up with a good translation, especially in German.

Quote:
... Woodchip Car ...
It is included in CanRail v1.1; but only available from 1965 onwards and if cargo label 'WDPR - Wood Products' has been defined in activated industry sets. That would be the case for ECS and FIRS; but FIRS has used the label 'WPPR' for timber.
Attachment:
Timber (WDPR) carrying freight cars.png

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 19:41 
Lurker
Lurker

OzTrans wrote:
... Woodchip Car ...

I see, there is so much I am not aware of... Thanks for pointing out how to find the car.

Since it is basicly an hopper or a gondola (?), I would rather suggest "Schüttgutwagen für Hackschnitzel", "offender Güterwagen für Hackschnitzel" or simply "Hackschnitzelwagen". If there is enough place, have "Hackschnitzel" replaced by "Holzhackschnitzel". A shorter version would be "Hackgut", but this is a bit uncommon and not limited to woodchips / woodproducts.

Btw. "Hackschnitzel" can also be used in some areas for some kind of a steak :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 13:38 
Player
Player

ogremagie wrote:
... Woodchip Car ...
It is a gondola style car; lightweight with high sides. Here's an image.

Quote:
...there is so much I am not aware of...
The user guide has some information about the rolling stock in the set. Mainly about locomotives, but also what cargo the freight cars carry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 17:31 
Player
Player

Quote:
... Vehicle Names (German) ...
I have now come up with the following ... any comments ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 20:57 
Lurker
Lurker

Sorry, this post got a blt longer than expected.

Quote:
Userguide
Thanks for pointing out. As I use more modern cargo sets, I was not aware of the presence of an internal-industry-related car anymore. ;)

Quote:
PDF-file
Thanks for the pdf. Here's what I think:
SG-Hopper (unit train): Do not use anything with "Einheits*", as this refers (in terms of railroading) to different designs of cars/engines, with the possibility to exchange major parts between them as key feature. The USRA steam engines could be considered as an example what germans would call "Einheitslokomotiven" - it has nothing to do with an unit train.
A proper translation of "unit train" is "Ganzzug" -> "Schüttgutwagen '(für) Ganzzug'" would be a better approach but still lacks perfection. Btw: Is it really an hopper? The red markings on one side of the car makes me think of a gondola that is unloaded via a rotary dumper...

SG-Hoppers: "Schütten" describes a structure (some kind of pipes) that can acutally be used to load the hopper. I would still suggest to use "Trichter", as a "Trichterwagen" is similar to the american hopper design. (That is, do not use "Tricherwagen", but "Schüttgutwagen 'X Trichter'")

SG-Woodchip Car: Here I would need your help: What is the standard size of a wood chip? "Holzspäne" describes what you get as waste when you shape wood, not hack it...

NG-Flat Car: Flachbettwagen... well, never heard this word. Have it translated as "Flachwagen", even if it is drawn as a bulk head flat car.

NG-Hopper / Ore Car: There is a bit of confusion in your pdf, what hopper you are exactly refering to. The rather short ore car should definitly be "Erzwagen", even if it can carry clay. For the "hopper"-style coal carrying car, I would agree with "offener Güterwagen".
EDIT: However, if you call it a hopper, I would suggest "Schüttgutwagen" again ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 21:50 
Master Mentor

ogremagie wrote:
SG-Woodchip Car: Here I would need your help: What is the standard size of a wood chip? "Holzspäne" describes what you get as waste when you shape wood, not hack it...
I live in the Province of New Brunswick, Canada where forestry is the major industry. A wood chip is about the size of a potato chip (aka potato crisp in Europe). Once upon a time it was indeed a waste product from sawmills producing lumber. Now it is considered a byproduct that is very convenient for processing into pulp for paper making. It is also the raw material for wall board manufacturing where the wood chips are compressed with glue into a very durable board that is similar in size and function to plywood. In some cases a wood lot is harvested solely for the purpose of producing wood chips.

This link points to an image of wood chip cars loaded with wood chips.

Here is an image of a small pile of wood chips.

Last edited by OzTrans on 07 Sep 2012, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Updated link to image; link failed authorisation ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 23:17 
Player
Player

ogremagie wrote:
... SG-Hopper (unit train) ...
I just didn't realise what 'unit train' actually means. Of course it refers to a train where all cars are the same = 'Ganzzug'. These hoppers are actually 'rotary dump coal hoppers'; also commonly known as 'BethGon coal hoppers'. I may have to change the English nameing too, which was originally given to me by DanMacK.

Quote:
... The red markings on one side of the car makes me think of a gondola that is unloaded via a rotary dumper...
Correct.

Quote:
... Trichterwagen ...
I don't think we can call hoppers that. In Europe, you do have 'Trichterwagen' and 'Sattelwagen'. The hoppers in the set (2/3 bay) are more like 'Sattelwagen'. These are loaded from the top, but unloaded through bottom chutes; either 2 or 3 of them. The 'Trichterwagen' are emptied towards the side of the wagon/track, where as these hoppers are unloaded along the car between the rails (if that makes sense). This would be a typical hopper car (3 bay).

Quote:
... NG-Flat Car: Flachbettwagen...
That is one, or called 'Rungenwagen' with stakes or 'Stirnwandwagen' with bulkheads.

Quote:
... NG-Hopper / Ore Car ...
Well, hoppers are unloaded through bottom chutes, where as gondolas through side doors, or even through the bulkhead. I may have to research what hoppers/gondolas we actually have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 00:39 
Lurker
Lurker

Quote:
... Trichterwagen ...

I did not want the car being translated by this. My intention was to replace the "Schütte" at the end of the car's names to something more descriptive to reflect the "bays". "Sattelwagen" differ from hoppers as they unload through the lower side of the car, not through the bottom, while "Trichterwagen" unload through the bottom. It seems you mixed something up... You might want to have a look at these pictures:
"Trichterwagen", note the bottom chutes: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Drehschieber-Seitenentladewagen_4645.jpg/640px-Drehschieber-Seitenentladewagen_4645.jpg
"Sattelwagen", unloaded by lifting the lower sidepanel: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Falns-in-Horka.jpg/640px-Falns-in-Horka.jpg
While "Sattelwagen" are used by european railroads almost for the same cargoes as american hoppers, I would suggest to stay with "Schüttgutwagen". An hopper can not be translated with "Sattelwagen" due to their mechanical differences, "Schüttgutwagen 'X Trichter'" might be better (but this is just my opinion).

Quote:
... NG-Flat Car: Flachbettwagen...
I did some research and you are right, this name exists! However, major railroads give these cars still the name "Flachwagen". I could not find any information about any difference between a "Flachbettwagen" and a "Flachwagen", exept that the latter description is by far more common for seemingly the same type of car.

Quote:
... NG-Hopper / Ore Car ...
My guess is that these narrow gauge cars are modeled after the WP&Y RR or a similar narrow gauge railway. If I remember correct, this railway has/had some narrow gauge hoppers for use (brought from the EBT). Perhaps you have some information about what cars where modeled during the creation of this set?

EDIT: @Wallyweb: Thank you for your images. While the size of the Wood chips makes me think about "Holzhackschnitzel", I would rather suggest to stay with "Holzspäne", as this might be more versatile.

A bit of topic: I just checked the NARS 2.03. Its creators went a diffrent way: they kept the original names, translating aparently the descriptions only. Maybe this could be a way to avoid these translation problems?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012, 12:02 
Lurker
Lurker

Hello!

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to report this, but I have found an odd behaviour in Canadian Stations 1.1 : apparently, the snow scenarios don't seem to work. I am using OpenTTD 1.2.2, and whichever scenario I choose, the snowline remains still (following the setting in the New Game window).

The snow scenario feature included in the Canadian Rail Set 1.1a works fine, though.

Am I getting something wrong?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012, 13:36 
Master Mentor

arikover wrote:
Canadian Stations 1.1 : apparently, the snow scenarios don't seem to work.
I had this too and it was fixed. Did you download the GRF anew? If it still doesn't work it may simply be that OzTrans hasn't had a chance to update the link yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 12:08 
Player
Player

arikover wrote:
... Canadian Stations v1.1 ... the snow scenarios doesn't seem to work.
Yes, there was a fault with the variable snowline feature; it has been fixed (back in September), but I forgot to upload the fix.

The same problem existed too in Canadian Cities v1.1 (here, it was never implemented for OpenTTD players).

Updates for both graphic files have now been uploaded in the download section.

BTW, an update for Canadian Rail is still being worked on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 20:02 
Lurker
Lurker

OzTrans wrote:
...BTW, an update for Canadian Rail is still being worked on.

And we are looking forward for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 23:00 
Lurker
Lurker

ogremagie wrote:
OzTrans wrote:
...BTW, an update for Canadian Rail is still being worked on.

And we are looking forward for it.

Definitely!

OzTrans wrote:
Updates for both graphic files have now been uploaded...

Thank you very much kind sir! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 02:33 
Lurker
Lurker

I Back again, their the Buildings are Past to movement

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 09:46 
Player
Player

firzafp wrote:
I Back again, their the Buildings are Past to movement
Can we have that in English please ... I haven't got a clue what you meant.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 11:52 
Lurker
Lurker

Hello again!

I just found CanRail on openttdcoop, the r18 nightly, but there are no trains ingame. Is this an early version with no trains in it, or am I doing something wrong? (I play OpenTTD r24753)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 14:51 
Artists Guild Team

OzTrans isn't developing for that version. My guess (!) is that DanMacK was dissatisfied with the way OzTrans was handling everything, so he and others started a new effort. It's open development under a free license, which is all for the better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 15:27 
Master Mentor

I just visited openttdcoop wiki ... and checked the GRF Table.
It has a listing for Canadian Trainset v0.3d [Cansetw.grf.]
This is an old version that is still available from DanMack's personal web site.
It was coded by Oztrans. The credits are properly shown in the table.
The newest and most current version CanRail v1.1a is available for download from the SimuLibs section here at Simuscape.

The old versions do not have trains prior to 1921. What year is your game at? If earlier than 1921 then you will need CanRail v1.1a

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 122 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next