It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:16

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: MIDI Showcase
PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 22:44 
Browser
Browser

I know this seems strange posting this in the "Visual Studio" section, but I see no need for an "Audio Studio" section when the contributions to this category will be pretty small.

For those who may not remember, I am partially responsible for the OpenTTD Music Replacement Project, which finds new MIDI music which can be contributed to OpenTTD freely. I also occasionally put together a few other music packages. OpenMSX is close to being finished (if I can get time to finish out what I think should be in the set, along with Planetmaker), Scott Joplin Anthology is out, and perhaps this year I'll FINALLY get everything wrapped up with my Traditional Winter Holiday collection (it's slow getting responses from many people).

In the meanwhile, I still encourage people to create original music that can be included in the game freely. With that, I open this thread to anybody who wishes to contribute to that effort.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Garrison Boogie
PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 22:50 
Browser
Browser

"Garrison Boogie" is a 25 second sample that was composed by my own son, age 14. For the past three years he has been very active in his middle school orchestra and concert band, playing baritone sax. Last year he was invited to perform with the high school marching band, this past spring he was invited to join the school's new jazz band ensemble. Also since last summer, he has been composing his own works using NoteWorthy Composer. Before our family PC crashed, he had started work on several songs, and when I heard them I was amazed.

Now that the summer is here, he'll have some more time, and I'm going to put him to work by composing a new music set for OpenTTD. Maybe we can get donations for his work, enough to pay for college. He wants to be an orchestra conductor. :-)

constructive criticism is very welcome!

Attachments:
Garrison Boogie.MID [6.39 KiB]
Downloaded 327 times
Garrison Boogie.zip [3.22 KiB]
Downloaded 299 times

Last edited by kamnet on 27 May 2012, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: MIDI Showcase
PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 00:25 
Master Mentor

kamnet wrote:
I know this seems strange posting this in the "Visual Studio" section, but I see no need for an "Audio Studio" section when the contributions to this category will be pretty small.
If somebody hasn't already said "Music has to heard to be seen!", then I am saying it now. As far as I am concerned Visual Studio is entirely appropriate for any type of creativity in the TTD genre of games. :)

Quote:
In the meanwhile, I still encourage people to create original music that can be included in the game freely. With that, I open this thread to anybody who wishes to contribute to that effort.
Quote:
constructive criticism is very welcome!
Being a life long sufferer of that condition proverbially known as a "Tin ear" and being blessed with a hymnal voice that provokes threats of exorcism and excommunication and an anthem voice that is worthy of exile and annulment of birth certificates, I dare not compose or critique so much as an impromptu kazoo concert in Kalamazoo. ;)

Quote:
I also occasionally put together a few other music packages.
A suggestion for this topic ... How about a playlist for each of your collections, perhaps accompanied by a short description of the collection's theme? It might help us to put forth suggestions yet to be suggested.

Suggestion: A collection of North American railroad songs ... 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 01:11 

Nice piece. Could me make it longer? Then we could use it in Toyland. Toyland specific music! Why not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 01:18 
Browser
Browser

would be nice to have midi music in TTD play the style relating to the decade your in game.

anyway i use GuitarPro but i tab out real songs for http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/.

i do have one song that my late band came up with well one of many

Attachment:
File comment: Mp3 and Midi versions
Falling Slowly.zip [3.24 MiB]
Downloaded 333 times

the mp3 has RSE songs which mimic REAL Guitars, Bass and Drums :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 04:06 
Browser
Browser

wallyweb wrote:
kamnet wrote:
I also occasionally put together a few other music packages.
A suggestion for this topic ... How about a playlist for each of your collections, perhaps accompanied by a short description of the collection's theme? It might help us to put forth suggestions yet to be suggested.
Yep, I'll do a release thread for it just like with a NewGRF. I'll also be putting the files on my own server so people can listen to them individually.

wallyweb wrote:
If you can find them and clear copyright, absolutely!

athanasios wrote:
Nice piece. Could me make it longer? Then we could use it in Toyland. Toyland specific music! Why not?
Yep, he didn't know how long to make it for. I'm suggesting 2-3 minutes.

boohey wrote:
would be nice to have midi music in TTD play the style relating to the decade your in game.
Unfortunately TTD/TTDP/OTTD isn't that sophisticated, it has no concept of "decade", it only spits out a date based on arbitrary code. That doesn't take into account any daylength patches, changing the number of ticks/day, or anybody using a cheat to jump ahead or roll back the clock.

boohey wrote:
i do have one song that my late band came up with well one of many
Attachment:
Falling Slowly.zip
Wow, that's quite good, and WAY out of the norm of most MIDI files. We need a collection with more music like that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 04:49 
Master Mentor

kamnet wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
If you can find them and clear copyright, absolutely!
The neophyte response might be "Huh??". Perhaps a brief note regarding "clear copyright" might be in order. About 25 years ago (dial-up days) when personal web sites were beginning to appear, midi background music was all the rage. There were web sites devoted to offering "free tracks for your personal web space". The problem was that although the song itself might have been in the public domain, the performing artist was not. So the question arises: Who is willing to take a piece of public domain sheet music and give us a free performance?

Did I get this right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 05:08 
Browser
Browser

It's a double issue. First, the music that is being performed must either be in public domain, or the person/company who owns the copyright must put it int he public domain. much of that MIDI music that went up in the 1990s on the Internet were songs which are still covered by copyright.

Even if the music is clear of copyright, you also have to have the permission of the person who composed and recorded the MIDI file.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 22:00 
Browser
Browser

why midi's ? is there no way of using mp3 on ttd? maybe upgrading the music player?

Quote:
Unfortunately TTD/TTDP/OTTD isn't that sophisticated, it has no concept of "decade", it only spits out a date based on arbitrary code. That doesn't take into account any daylength patches, changing the number of ticks/day, or anybody using a cheat to jump ahead or roll back the clock.

is there no way the music play can understand the years eg.
using playlists

"if 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 play playlist 1"

?

Quote:
Wow, that's quite good, and WAY out of the norm of most MIDI files. We need a collection with more music like that!

i could try making some more its kind of rock/britpop sound

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 22:14 
Browser
Browser

heres oasis - helter skelter live, not quite the same as the beatles but its good i did this about a year back i know due to copyright it cant be used but have a listen anyway! the sliding songs are pick scraps on guitar.

Attachment:
Helter Skelter Live.mid [104.89 KiB]
Downloaded 304 times

haha end sounds wierd on MIDI sounds awesome with the RSE (real sound emulator) on but the mp3 is 5mbs :( and i cant upload it here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 01:56 

Now you understand why NO mp3!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 14:39 
Browser
Browser

athanasios wrote:
Now you understand why NO mp3!

Size or copyright?

Downloading a pack of mp3s for ttd wouldn't be that much 100 to 200 mbs that's nothing these days.

If the community make them from scratch that would avoid all copyright laws as long as the creators approve it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 16:15 
Browser
Browser

Well, the main reason you can't have MP3s is because TTD has no way to play them, so it's rather pointless to create them to begin with. Size is still going to be an issue with a lot of people who are still on dial-up or other slow types of Internet. Nor does that clear up any copyright issues at all if you don't actually own the work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 00:52 

I was referring to size. Yes, back then it was the major limitation. Now it might not be an issue for a fast connection but think of handheld devices and people in third world countries. Besides you can have a package and play it with your media player (and the latter i what the developers have stated).

Personally I am against big size waste when you can make it simple and in a few kbytes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:00 
Lurker
Lurker

For what it's worth, I have twice written patches to enable the playing of MP3s/Vorbis/FLAC/WAV files in OpenTTD, the last time being a few years ago now. Both those patches are hopelessly out of date now, anyway. I did start on a third patch that, in theory, might actually have stood a chance of getting accepted into SVN, but lack of time/enthusiasm has so far meant that hasn't gone forward. Maybe one day...

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]