It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:24

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2015, 13:56 
Master Mentor

Is anybody able to run TTConfig on Windows 8, either with or without administrator privileges?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2015, 03:19 

Windows 8? I am not a masochist! XP suffices to play my games (oh well newer stuff may not run on XP and then I use 7, but this rarely: Most newer games/apps are a ****load of crap). For the Web Linux Rules! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2015, 11:55 
Simuscape Admin

Have to agree, I bought a new computer to a family member as a christmas gift a few years ago, running on windows 8 - and what a piece of crap... :x

Personally I'm still on XP but intend to buy a new computer before the end of this year, but I will install windows 7 on that one... :)

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2015, 13:29 
Master Mentor

Heh. The question wasn't so much about Windows 8 as it was about TTCcnfig.

I gave up on TTConfig back in the Windows 98 era. Considering that I found the midi music and sound effects to be a distraction to my game playing, I simply turned it all off.
The music question arose in tt-forums. beclawat (aka roboboy) asked me to raise it here.

Regarding Windows 8, I chose to stay at 7 until any 8 problems were sorted out. It seems my decision was a good one. MS had to go to Windows 10 (What happened to 9?) to fix the issues and they have to give 10 away for free. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2015, 15:01 
Simuscape Admin

I think I read somewhere that MS chosed to simply skip 9 and go with 10 instead when introducing the new OS, just to mark that the release is to be considered as a "ground breaking" one - whatever that means... I'm not even sure I'm interested in 10 either way... :P

As for the music and sound effects, I agree, I turned that off myself...

Anyway, perhaps it's like Lakie points out, the guy needs to set it with admin rights rather than i compatibility mode... Have no idea really...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2015, 18:27 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
"ground breaking"
That is what one does before burying garbage. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2015, 03:25 

The main reason they skipped 9 is because of the 9x Windows (95, 96, 98, Me) = similar name.
And it is since those ages that I also stopped using TTConfig.

[Off Topic]
SAC
Buy a large HDD and use a boot/partition manager to boot to several OSs. OK, don't expect Windows 95 to work on a new PC (You will probably manage to make it load but there is the lack of drivers for your specific hardware you cannot do anything about.) But you will not have any problem installing FreeDOS and booting to TTD in 0 seconds!
[/Off Topic]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 20:51 
Simuscape Admin

Well, I'll actually give Win7 a try once I buy my new computer, but at the same time I think I'm going to keep my current WinXp machine as is - although disconnected from the net - but use it for older games, and especially for my graphics work with TTDLX...

I believe I can easily connect this current machine with a new one for the sake of file transferrels and the sort...

:P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 05:06 

[off topic]
It is easy to connect. Plus if you purchase a big HDD (2TB and over) you can share folders and run programs that are NOT installed (aka portable-copied there) on your other older PC if you have both on. :-)
If you do a search there are hundreds of programs and games (many freeware and many more illegal) that have been made portable. So no need to install twice on both PCs. One issue only with illegal ones: you cannot upgrade. On most freeware ones you can do even that. But I do not recommend it. I prefer to just copy a new version and thus I have multiple versions that I can choose from. Much like we do with OTTD. ;-)
[/off topic]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 08:40 
Master Mentor

SAC wrote:
I believe I can easily connect this current machine with a new one for the sake of file transferrels and the sort...
I have a Windows98 PC, a WndowsXP PC, a Windows7 PC and a Linux PC all networked though a wired router. At one time I even had a Windows3.1 PC on that network.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 02:58 

:o Athanasios goes to find that old PC with 3.11 and see if it has a network card, (otherwise add one) to connect it too... LOL! Jut kidding. But I have 3.11 installed somewhere for sure (plus the VMs).

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]