It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:26

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:55 
Browser
Browser

Im just wonder what design layouts of stations people here are using more frequently?

Lets see some designs

I'll kick start this off

i like to try an make the station layout realistic as possible but without the trains getting confused

Attachment:
File comment: Waterloo Station
Waterloo Station.png
Waterloo Station.png [ 886.98 KiB | Viewed 14858 times ]

i'm starting to think i may be using the wrong signals at stations and junctions

8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 01:44 

Next to the station you have to use a two way path signal with the lights facing the station.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 12:50 
Player
Player

Good topic! I've also been fiddeling with what is the best way to create realistic looking layouts for Roll-on roll-off stations, Drive-thru stations and End-stations, without losing efficiency. So I'll be looking forward to some tips.

This is my view so far:
It is very difficult to make realistic layouts, because the signals don't really work as in reallife and also there aren't switches in the rails. So there are two options in my opinion:
1. Use of normal signals to mimic realistic signalwork. Pro: looks like reallife, Con: Only one train at a time is allowed to pass over a switching path.
2. Use of pathsignals. Pro: more trains can pass over a switching path at the same time, Con: You have to be careful that trains coming from two directions don't choose the same stationplatform, so careful placing of the signals and maybe use of waypoints can be advised.

As I choose to have multiple trains running over a switchingpath, I go for option 2. With this you can make big switching layouts with only diagonal crossings and don't have to use the (in my opinion ugly and unrealistic) horizontal or vertical crossings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 17:11 
Browser
Browser

thats for the advice. i thought them taller double signals (path signals) where the no entry ones, no wonder my train netwroks are always so slow.

Attachment:
path signals.png
path signals.png [ 205.57 KiB | Viewed 14829 times ]

Attachment:
path signals 2.png
path signals 2.png [ 216.79 KiB | Viewed 14829 times ]

this has helped alot im well chuffed got the trains running smoothly thanks!!!

Quote:
As I choose to have multiple trains running over a switchingpath, I go for option 2. With this you can make big switching layouts with only diagonal crossings and don't have to use the (in my opinion ugly and unrealistic) horizontal or vertical crossings.

you couldnt show me a screenshot of one of switches?

thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 22:36 
Browser
Browser

Attachment:
Solsvingen Transport, 15th Feb 1952.png
Solsvingen Transport, 15th Feb 1952.png [ 266.09 KiB | Viewed 14820 times ]

some layouts on a 64x64

and a small extra tip on how to use path signals (note how i only use them on junctions, and i stick to rules

Attachment:
Solsvingen Transport, 1st Mar 1996.png
Solsvingen Transport, 1st Mar 1996.png [ 76.47 KiB | Viewed 14819 times ]

edit: blegh i spotted 1 bad placed signal, its normal and just under the 2-junction

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 23:01 
Player
Player

Quote:
you couldnt show me a screenshot of one of switches?

Sure, here is one of my end-of-line stations:
Attachment:
DenHaag01.png
DenHaag01.png [ 239.26 KiB | Viewed 14817 times ]

And here it is with trains, as long as the paths don't cross each other, multiple trains can use the same switching yard:
Attachment:
DenHaag02.png
DenHaag02.png [ 171.49 KiB | Viewed 14817 times ]

And besides that using only diagonal crossings looks more realistic, another pro is that trains will already start to gather speed and pass the yard quicker than with using horizontal or vertical crossings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 02:21 

And to stress it more, see how SAC did not place any signal at the exit of a junction neither on the tiles that follow it.

So we place 2 way path signals at the entrance of a junction only or the junction will get blocked.
You have to count how long are your trains and do not place signals for that length after the exit of a junction.

Also do not use 2 way path signals when there is no junction. There use simple signals or you will 'eat' your CPU.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 21:21 
Browser
Browser

athanasios wrote:
And to stress it more, see how SAC did not place any signal at the exit of a junction neither on the tiles that follow it.

So we place 2 way path signals at the entrance of a junction only or the junction will get blocked.
You have to count how long are your trains and do not place signals for that length after the exit of a junction.

Also do not use 2 way path signals when there is no junction. There use simple signals or you will 'eat' your CPU.

i know my new logo isnt a cop but im still myself and not SAC ;)

ill post a terminus station soon as well, i got an even more weird layout that works brilliantly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 23:12 
Browser
Browser

i see what you mean

so path signals at the enterance of junction but leave a train length after jounction to allow train to stop if after that the line is blocked or queued?

sounds simple enough i think ill try it and take a screenie see if its right :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 23:21 
Browser
Browser

so you mean like this and leaving enough room after for trains to be parked but not to cover the junction

Attachment:
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png [ 1007.37 KiB | Viewed 14795 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 00:11 
Browser
Browser

boohey wrote:
so you mean like this and leaving enough room after for trains to be parked but not to cover the junction

Attachment:
Untitled-1.png

yes you got it correctly, but in most cases you will want 1-way path signals over the 2-way version (the 1-way versions have a red block under it)

in advanced options there should be an option to show track reservations, its not beautifull, but it helps the understanding of the reserved paths and why a train is stopping on a path-signal, and why others can go over the junction simultaniously

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 02:29 
Browser
Browser

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:
boohey wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled-1.png

yes you got it correctly, but in most cases you will want 1-way path signals over the 2-way version (the 1-way versions have a red block under it)

in advanced options there should be an option to show track reservations, its not beautifull, but it helps the understanding of the reserved paths and why a train is stopping on a path-signal, and why others can go over the junction simultaniously

ive enabled that now does help alot.

thanks everyone this as really helped my rail networks. years of misunderstanding the signals in the game as now ended lol

cheers! :W

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 11:28 
Lurker
Lurker

i shall have to get some screenshots of my freight stations up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 16:00 
Browser
Browser

Hitperson wrote:
i shall have to get some screenshots of my freight stations up.

would love to see them!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 02:18 
Browser
Browser

ok got bored so made kings cross with real world track layout apart for 4-5 extra track tiles to get the trains to run correctly.

extra track highlighted in red

8-)

Attachment:
kings cross.png
kings cross.png [ 416.59 KiB | Viewed 14723 times ]

ignore buses they are just transfering passengers to test it works

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 05:06 
Player
Player

If you are not to bothered with adding 4 extra tracktiles, you could make the station more efficient (if you use PBS-signals), see pic below. This way at least two trains can leave the station at the same time.

Attachments:
kings%20crossaltered.png
kings%20crossaltered.png [ 433.8 KiB | Viewed 14718 times ]
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 15:56 
Browser
Browser

Quast65 wrote:
If you are not to bothered with adding 4 extra tracktiles, you could make the station more efficient (if you use PBS-signals), see pic below. This way at least two trains can leave the station at the same time.

nice one ill try it which are the PBS signals? the double ones with the white box on it or the plain double
one ?

works much better thanks placed Entry Pre-signals at the end of the tunnel before the station and the trains are running amazingly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 17:37 
Simuscape Admin

boohey wrote:
which are the PBS signals? the double ones with the white box on it or the plain double
one ?

Both are, the one with the white box is one-way and doesn't allow trains to pass in the "wrong" direction, which the signal without the white box does.

Nice station btw, I would like to see what you can accomplish when you're not bored :)

Simuscape
Site Admin & Developer

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]