It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:46

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 14:00 
Lurker
Lurker

something i have wondered many a time is weather or not TTD would be possible using (vaguely) realistic pricing, i could see it as an interesting concept I.E start very very early (1700's) as a company with horse and carts and work up to shipping and rail (which shouldn't be too hard a game) modern iterations could be interesting though, start as a minibus firm before working up to getting buses/coaches and slowly progress to rail.

obviously this would have to happen in a very much slowed down game (drastically increase the length of a year) but i could see it being quite fun certainly there would be a lot of effort involved with making the right financial decisions so you don't fail in the first few years (especially starting with 100,000)

obviously this is purely hypothetical (and not a suggestion towards openttd) but my own musings certainly though i could see it being quite fun you would definitely have to play the subsidies a lot more than typically occurs.

thoughts??

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 23:09 
Simuscape Admin

This is something I've been thinking about myself. It would be more realistic if years passed by much much slower, and you had to better plan everything to stay on the "market"! Absolutely!

I have always wondered why the years passes by so quickly, and now a days I pay no attention to years at all...

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 23:26 
Master Mentor

I think that the years passing quickly was a concious decision so that a game would not seem to go on forever thus causing the players to eventually become bored and quit.

Definitely, for the scenario creator, a slower time flow would be more intesting. It would be nice if that flow could be adjusted by the player(s). This would be an interesting OTTD patch

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 23:31 
Lurker
Lurker

wallyweb wrote:
This would be an interesting OTTD patch

This has been the subject of many successful, OTTD patches over the years, one of which is in Chill's patchpack I believe. A major problem, as I understand it, is that interest rates skyrocket and it eventually becomes impossible to turn a profit. But that is part of the larger problem that the entire game is financially exceptionally poorly balanced. However, solving that appears to be a full time job, equivalent to actually repricing the real world. But it's fun to dream about!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 23:33 
Master Mentor

Pingaware wrote:
... is that interest rates skyrocket ...
Can I be the banker and own the banks? :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 01:01 
Lurker
Lurker

i typically find that the game runs much too fast, in never play with interest on though due to it being pretty bugged anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 02:47 

From settings you can enable built on pause. Not ideal solution but better than nothing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 16:52 
Lurker
Lurker

athanasios wrote:
From settings you can enable built on pause. Not ideal solution but better than nothing.

yeah i do, what frustrates me though is when trains will take over a year to do a journey which isn't too far at all to travel.

i find that i get bored because the years go so fast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 19:15 
Browser
Browser

look for teh daylenght patches, there are quite a few that slow the game down, by increasing the day-lenghts

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 22:17 
Browser
Browser

i tried to do this with horse and starting from 1850 vut for some reason the horses are proper slow the max speed says 20mph and they run at 1 mph and i cant work out why and its the same with all grf's too

i asked on ttd forum years back about this and i got ONE answer, my post has vanished but here is the same answer.

"it would be possible to change how many game cycles that needs to pass before the new day event, but it would make some game balance issues because the vehicles transports the goods twice as fast and produce more money that way, but cost are based on days (yearly running cost)

besides I don't think this is the most important thing to implement"

Last edited by boohey on 29 Apr 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 22:20 
Lurker
Lurker

boohey wrote:
i tried to do this with horse and starting from 1850 vut for some reason the horses are proper slow the max speed says 20mph and they run at 1 mph and i cant work out why and its the same with all grf's too

It is because you have Realistic Acceleration on with it. You need to change the RV Acceleration to Original.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 22:24 
Browser
Browser

ive got it on original but if i change it to realistic nothing moves, trians will run until a hill and stop so i never use realistic cos of that lol

ill have a fiddle with the slope settings and that

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 00:58 
Lurker
Lurker

A321Pilot wrote:
boohey wrote:

It is because you have Realistic Acceleration on with it. You need to change the RV Acceleration to Original.

boohey wrote:
ive got it on original but if i change it to realistic nothing moves, trians will run until a hill and stop so i never use realistic cos of that lol

ill have a fiddle with the slope settings and that

for some reason it seems that the horsepower was set up very strangely for the generic road vehicles set.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]