It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:17

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 12:59 
Simuscape Admin

Does anyone know in what way OpenTTD counts the number of .grfs used? I'm using 73 different .grf's in TTDP without any problems, but I can't seem to use that many in OTTD! :?

Odd thing is, if I remove a tiny .grf, for instance an eye candy .grf with only a few items, from the list I can insert another - even though it's a huge .grf such as MB's New Stations... It feels a bit illogical... :cucko:

Simuscape - A world of its own;
SimuTalk | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA - Chose Your Destination;
INFRA Projects | INFRA Downloads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 14:00 
Player
Player

SAC wrote:
Does anyone know in what way OpenTTD counts the number of .grfs used? I'm using 73 different .grf's in TTDP without any problems, but I can't seem to use that many in OTTD! ...
In OpenTTD, you can have up to 64 activated GRFs, the size of individual GRFs is irrelevant.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 14:02 
Simuscape Admin

Okey... so in other words I need to have most of my eye candy grfs compiled into larger ones so I can use more grfs... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 14:16 
Simuscape Admin

I have 56 grf's installed right now... I was able to delete some of them - as previously mentioned - since some of them were additional due to TTDP-limitations... this leaves me with 8 available slots then... :P

Only problem I have at the moment is that none of my eye candy grf's works in the arctic climate... no problems with the temperate though... :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 14:17 
Player
Player

You can change the amount to 255 if you know how to de/recompile OTTD:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59484&p=1007753&hilit=maximum+number+of+NewGRFs#p1007753

The size of the GRF's themselves is very relevant though, especially regarding new-objects.

You can only have a total maximum of 255 Object-ID's in a game!!! So loading multiple GRF's that make you exceed this number will give you problems like not all the tiles showing up in the menu.
I encountered that problem while making my ISR/DWE-style objects. I had to completely refurbish that GRF to make it use a lot fewer ID's.

Regarding stations: There is a maximum of 255 Station-ID's in one GRF. Having multiple GRF's in a game exceeding that number will not give you any problems (like with the New-Objects), they will show up nicely. But you may need to make a secondary GRF when you hit that number (as I am now getting close to that with the Dutch Stations Addition Set). So to say, a part one and part two ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 14:24 
Simuscape Admin

Thanks! Good to know... but at the moment I have all the .grf's I'm looking for and want to have installed... and as mentioned, I still have 8 slots available... I'm only using my own eye candy .grf's, and I still have plenty of room to insert a bunch of new objects - especially since I could activate my third and last test station tile which now consists of IKEA and Mall modules previously part of my eye candy grf's - something which released another 4 eye candy slots, size 4x4... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 15:07 
Simuscape Admin

SAC wrote:
Only problem I have at the moment is that none of my eye candy grf's works in the arctic climate... no problems with the temperate though... :?

Finally also this problem has been solved thanks to Wally! :W I'll check with SlemFreak when he has some time on his hands regarding some other solutions that could be of good use as far as reducing the number of .grf's being used concerns... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 15:12 
Player
Player

SAC wrote:
Well, you need to examine these GRFs. Objects have a climate availability property which needs to be set for arctic. wallyweb can help you there of course ...

Quast65 wrote:
... size is irrelevant ...
It depends what size limits you talk about. A GRF in TTDPatch has a limit of 65,000+ sprites (real or pseudo), each sprites can be 65,000+ bytes long. OpenTTD may have these limits as well. Then, there are all the other limits of course, like total number of objects, total number of stations etc. Some limits are per game, while others are per GRF. If GRFs worked in the past, then they should still be alright.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 18:58 
Simuscape Admin

OzTrans wrote:
Well, you need to examine these GRFs. Objects have a climate availability property which needs to be set for arctic. wallyweb can help you there of course ...

That was the problem, they were set to work in temperate only but a change of the properties in action 8 took care of it... :)

OzTrans wrote:
If GRFs worked in the past, then they should still be alright.

All .grf's I had in TTDP works in OTTD. In fact, I even managed to get a third station tile test file to work which it never did in TTDP, so that opened up for some other solutions... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 11:19 
Simuscape Admin

Does anyone know if it's possible to have more than one graphics for bus- and truck stops in OTTD?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 13:17 
Player
Player

That is sadly not possible (not until you can get more roadtypes I think and that might take a while).
Solution I used is having overlapping tiles (in combination with flat graphics for the actual stops), yes they will glitch and also need a tile next to the actual stops, but if you really want to have a couple of different stops, than that is an option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 13:32 
Simuscape Admin

Okey, that's what I figured... My main concern is about waypoints and while it's not the biggest problem in cities, I do find it a tad bit annoying on highways out on the countryside... :( But as you say, I can always draw some overlapping tiles as you did - or simply continue to use my own less prominent bus- and truck-stops, just because of this...

Thanks for the answer...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 14:18 
Player
Player

For highways I use petrolstations and rest stops as waypoints, with disguised bus- and truckstops under them. Works perfectly ;-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 14:22 
Simuscape Admin

That's one approach I guess... :P I'll probably use - if I even go there - rocks or bushes... :) Or why not a hitchhiker... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 21:44 
Player
Player

SAC wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to have more than one graphics for bus- and truck stops in OTTD?
No it is not.

You are aware, that there are 4 stations and 2 drive-through stops each for buses and trucks.

Why do you want to use waypoints for road vehicles ? They are very well capable of finding their way around for themselves. But, you can use one way roads to discourage road vehicles to take a particular road.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 03:19 
Simuscape Admin

OzTrans wrote:
You are aware, that there are 4 stations and 2 drive-through stops each for buses and trucks.

You mean like 2 drive-through stations each as in one for each direction? As it is in TTDP as well?

OzTrans wrote:
Why do you want to use waypoints for road vehicles ?

Simply because I fancy the idea of having my express buses follow a specific route, and also to somewhat control the traffic... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 05:28 

So when we use overlapping tiles for custom bus stops may we assume that if we combine them with an empty (blue) bus stop grf then we will have less glitches?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 10:44 
Simuscape Admin

Possibly, but that would instead create a problem when you only want to use a bus- or a truck-stop without overlapping custom objects...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 11:04 
Player
Player

SAC wrote:
... like 2 drive-through stations each as in one for each direction? As it is in TTDP as well?
Correct, use these bus stops. There are a few options as far as 'non-stop' operations are concerned, too. No need to use rail waypoints at all.
Attachment:
OpenTTD - Road Services.png

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 13:55 
Simuscape Admin

Thing is, my cities have several highways running in them and I don't want buses or trucks to chose their own route to reach their destinations... For me it's much more realistic to have traffic spread on specific roads or highways inside cities to reach an exit for further travel to another city, an airport, or whatever destination each of them might have... :P And waypoints are therefor a necessity...

Had you seen any of my two largest cities in TTDP you'd get the picture... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next