It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:43

WELCOME TO SIMUSCAPE!

Please Sign in or Register to enable all features, remove restrictions and gain additional access!
For information on how to bypass the CAPTCHA or to contact Team Simuscape, Continue Here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 21:28 
Master Mentor

I just installed OTTD v1.2 stable 64bit on my Windows7 machine. This was a new install and not an upgrade from an older version of OTTD.
I noticed that there was no \DATA directory. There was however, a \newgrf directory which accomplished the same function: a place to load third party GRF files.
On my "about to be retired" WindowsXP machine, I have an older nightly release of OTTD. That one does have \DATA but no \newgrf.
Can anybody confirm these changes?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 01:24 
Artists Guild

/confirm

This was a recent change in trunk which came with ez support, don't ask me how they are related, but they occurred at the same time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 02:32 
Master Mentor

Leanden wrote:
/confirm
Thank you. :)

Quote:
This was a recent change in trunk which came with ez support, don't ask me how they are related, but they occurred at the same time.
Somebody was on his game. I like this ... So much more intuitive for an old TTDP gamer such as myself. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 19:29 
Player
Player

Leanden wrote:
... which came with ez support, ...
What is 'ez support' ? If I may ask ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 21:11 
Browser
Browser

OzTrans wrote:
Leanden wrote:
... which came with ez support, ...
What is 'ez support' ? If I may ask ...

i was wondering that too

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 03:23 

Extra Zoom (x2, x4) but also /2 /4 ... (I do not know though who will bother to create sprites for the latter.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 03:27 
Browser
Browser

athanasios wrote:
Extra Zoom (x2, x4) but also /2 /4 ... (I do not know though who will bother to create sprites for the latter.)

ah i see i was thinking EZ as in easy support lol haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 06:31 
Player
Player

athanasios wrote:
I will stear definetely clear of all things 32bpp graphics including zoom levels and I don't think anybody will ever see any great set done that way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 13:50 
Browser
Browser

If you where wanting this graphics upgrade then id rather they upgraded the whole graphics engine to start with. My pc has a hard time in later years with all data it has to handle and all the different sprites too. Now it would make more sense to upgrade the engine for future multicore support because one day we will have multicore systems.

Well that's what i think.

This game needs future proofing soon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 00:43 

Very far into the future. Currently multicore breaks network games (desyncs).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 03:39 
Lurker
Lurker

You can still can manually create a data folder. This way OTTD will search newgrfs in the data folder just like it did before. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 May 2012, 20:28 
Browser
Browser

boohey wrote:
If you where wanting this graphics upgrade then id rather they upgraded the whole graphics engine to start with. My pc has a hard time in later years with all data it has to handle and all the different sprites too. Now it would make more sense to upgrade the engine for future multicore support because one day we will have multicore systems.

Well that's what i think.

This game needs future proofing soon

multicore wont benefit you enough, as all you do is introduce syncronisations between the threads and some parts simply cannot be split. All vehicles must be on same maparrayindexing else its almost impossible to check collissions easily and there are way more examples that only introduce extra calculations without speeding stuff up via multicore

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 19 May 2012, 21:29 
Master Mentor

boohey wrote:
My pc has a hard time in later years with all data it has to handle and all the different sprites too.
This is more a hardware issue than software. I used to have the same problems with TTDP+TTDX. Multicore might help a bit, but only because the technology is newer and the chip is faster. The problem lies with the memory. If there is insufficient RAM then the PC starts to use swap memory on the hard drive. Most programs will work fine without doing this. The problem usually arises when there are several programs operating simultaneously and even the swap file's capacity is challenged. There are four ways to address this issue:
1. The inconvenient way: Shut down the other programs.
2. The O/S techie way: Increase the swap file's size.
3. The hardware techie way: Install more RAM, up to the PC's maximum if possible.
4. The rich bugger's way: (Especially if the old PC's RAM is at max) Buy a new PC that has lots and lots of RAM and still has room for more should the need arise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 02:52 

Till then, make sure you defrag your disk AND your swap file (this requires a special tool and a restart) regularly. If swap gets fragmented all over the HDD then the lag will become terrible.
Adjust your swap min. to double the size of your memory and never less than 1GB.
Make sure you are not running Firefox or another browser while playing.
Remove from startup crap stuff: Many suites/programs do this to check for updates or start faster. Little by little your RAM is consumed. Check what you have in your tray and kick out the scum.
FreeDOS, ReactOS, TinyXP can be useful for faster gaming. The idea is to have a separate OS top run your games only so that it is not loaded with other stuff.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]